Ryan Whitney,Cam Barker, Andre Mezaros

TeamPlayer

Jan 11, 2003
Who do you see putting up more goals this year?? And in the future! Predictions would be great as well.

My views are

This year

Whitney 11
Mezaros 10
Weber 8
Barker 6

In the future

Barker
Whitney
Weber
Mezaros

Last edited:

MAF

Feb 22, 2005
11 for Whitney may be not too far off. He has quite some offensive potential (which he has shown at various levels), but Whitney has never scored many goals.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
Whitney and Mezaros are the gems in this bunch you list. Barker, while drafted high and even though he played in World Jrs and played well for the Tigers, he (IMO) will not succeed as a #1-4 d-man in the NHL. Sorry. He has lots of tools but not the toolbox. He may well be another one of those highly rated CHL kids who can't make the transistion to the NHL. Just my opinion.

rigger

Aug 18, 2004
Jessica Alba's Dream
Whitney and Mezaros are the gems in this bunch you list. Barker, while drafted high and even though he played in World Jrs and played well for the Tigers, he (IMO) will not succeed as a #1-4 d-man in the NHL. Sorry. He has lots of tools but not the toolbox. He may well be another one of those highly rated CHL kids who can't make the transistion to the NHL. Just my opinion.

I agree to a certain extent, but I think he will be a top 4 d man. When he was drafted people were comparing him to a Lidstrom type of player. Not overly physical but pretty good positionally and great passer and shooter.

I expect this to be his player description as an NHLer too, but he will not be great at defense. A Gonchar-esq. kind of player. Paired with Accouin on the PP he will rack up points and be a good player. If he can play with Accouin 5x5 then it would help his development a great deal.

Gardebut30

Jun 8, 2004
I expect this to be his player description as an NHLer too, but he will not be great at defense. A Gonchar-esq. kind of player.

If Barker's play in Chicago's prospect camp this summer transfers well to the pro level, than in no way could I see Barker being like Gonchar defensively.

Matsi

got paws?
Mar 22, 2005
Chiricahua Mountains
Whitney and Mezaros are the gems in this bunch you list.

Yep I also think that Whitney and Meszaros will be the most valuable ones out of the bunch. Though, Barker will have to play on the NHL level for some time before he can really be compared to the other guys.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site

You have to watch Barker more. What blew me away about him at the World Juniors was his positioning defensively. This kid is so smooth and so smart that he doesn`t really stick out. You have to really pay attention to him to appreciate how good he is. This kid is the real deal and IMO will be better than Seabrook.

Pavel Bure

Aug 7, 2006
British Columbia
Whitney - PP with Crosby
Weber - Hes gonna surprise alot of people
Barker - Will take some time to hit his stride as Ch-Town rebuilds
Mezaros - With the acquisitions of Corvo and Preissing his ice time will go down, had a great rookie season though.

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
AskMe
11, 10, and 6 are your predictions? They seem pretty low.

Barker is slated to be the Hawks PP QB, 15 is a more realistic number.

Only 7 D-Man in the NHL posted more then 15 last season, and given scoring was trending downwards all year last season it seems unlikely there will be even that many this season.
It seems unlikely to me that Barker in his rookie season is to be one of the top few offensive D-Man in the NHL immediately.

No Quarter*

I had the oppertunity to watch Whitney for most of last season and I think he has the potential to be a great 2 way dman for alot of years to come.
He got called up and started off on fire then he faded off making alot of rookie errors such as not shooting, not being in position, etc, etc. but after a few months he started to settle down and play some excellent hockey both offensively and defensively.
I'd say 10 to 15 would be a fair guess.

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
In terms of short term point I see it as
Meszaros
Weber
Withney
Barker

In terms of long term point
Barker
Meszaros
Withney
Weber

In term Of Overall Game
WEBER (Is a Monster)
Barker
Meszaros
Withney

That being said I like them all... but Weber...

dink182

Aug 7, 2002
Visit site

I agree to a point too. Not as good as he was supposed to be. But probably still capable of 30-40 points a season and a #2 or 3 guy. As you said, probably not a #1.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
In terms of short term point I see it as
Meszaros
Weber
Withney
Barker

In terms of long term point
Barker
Meszaros
Withney
Weber

In term Of Overall Game
WEBER (Is a Monster)
Barker
Meszaros
Withney

That being said I like them all... but Weber...

No respect for Whitney wow.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
You have to watch Barker more. What blew me away about him at the World Juniors was his positioning defensively. This kid is so smooth and so smart that he doesn`t really stick out. You have to really pay attention to him to appreciate how good he is. This kid is the real deal and IMO will be better than Seabrook.

Honestly I thought that Barker had a fairly poor world junior tourney for Canada........and the year before he only played what 2 games in it and they werent very telling but he was on a stacked team that year.

I have also seen Barker roughly 40 times playing with the Tigers over the last 4 years and really outside 2 or 3 games was not that impressed with him at all.........he seems to lack work ethic and doesnt skate hard to get back in the play........def. is not physical at all........and quite often took bad penalties at the wrong times of games..........he does have a really nice breakout pass though.

overall my list will look like this
Weber
Whitney
Meszaros
Barker

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
If this is just a points (goals) discussion, then Whitney and Meszaros should be at the top both now and in the future. As Pittsburgh's young talent develops, and Whitney settles into his role as PP QB he could be one of the top scoring d-men in the league, probably 60+ points. I don't see Weber or Barker matching that.

Last edited:

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Honestly I thought that Barker had a fairly poor world junior tourney for Canada........and the year before he only played what 2 games in it and they werent very telling but he was on a stacked team that year.

I have also seen Barker roughly 40 times playing with the Tigers over the last 4 years and really outside 2 or 3 games was not that impressed with him at all.........he seems to lack work ethic and doesnt skate hard to get back in the play........def. is not physical at all........and quite often took bad penalties at the wrong times of games..........he does have a really nice breakout pass though.

overall my list will look like this
Weber
Whitney
Meszaros
Barker

If you weren`t impressed by Barker at the WJCs, it would seem to me that you aren`t watching carefully enough. Barker is not one of those guys that will grab your attention and get you out of your seat. He is not one of those guys that is going to throw the highlight reel hit, score on a rocket slapshot from the point or fly at full speed from end to end. He is extremely calm, very patient with the puck, would rather the throw a quick wrister on net than take a huge slapshot, and does not waste any energy out on the ice. You really have to watch him to truely appreciate how good he is. Believe me I was not a huge Cam Barker fan after the Hawks drafted him. But after watching him quite a bit in the last year I have really come to appreciate what he brings. The WJCs last year were what really made me a believer. There was a reason he wasn`t on the ice for any goals against. This kid is one of the best players positionally I have ever seen. Watch him very closely the next time you see him and you will see what I mean.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->