Ryan ... the #2 pick ... possible ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I've noticed Ryan's stock picking up some steam lately, but I still don't see him going higher than 4 or 5 at best.

blah

Jun 24, 2003
mercury said:
I think the only way he ends up #2 is if he is chosen by the Flyers, or perhaps another team that really covets him.
Unless they get luckey in a draft lottery or something 2nd overall is too high for the Flyers to be able to move up to.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Ryan going number 2 is possible. He might be exactly what the team picking second need and want. Every single team will have a different top 5 and like different players for different reasons... Whatever ranks we have are meaningless.

After seeing Wheeler go 5th overall last year, nothing should be a surprise.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Fozz said:
Ryan going number 2 is possible. He might be exactly what the team picking second need and want. Every single team will have a different top 5 and like different players for different reasons... Whatever ranks we have are meaningless.

After seeing Wheeler go 5th overall last year, nothing should be a surprise.
Exactly what I was going to say. Ryan is entirely possible at #2... given that we have no idea right now of the draft order. And perhaps pending the rule changes, given that part of Ryan's value is his size and ability to work in traffic with guys hanging on his back.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
The Flyers could go anywhere from #1-30, if most of the draft scenarios are to be believed. The chances of getting into the Top 10 is not great, but it could happen. At least one top team will get an early pick, according to the law of averages, and the weaker teams who draft after them will be pissed. Here's to it being Philly! :cheers:

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
i like ryan and have had him 4/5 all year but i think #2 is a big stretch. imo jack johnson is hands down the 2nd best player, and if the team picking 2nd doesn't want a dman then brule will be the guy. imo crosby, johnson, brule will be the top 3, just a question of who goes 2nd brule or johnson.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
NYR469 said:
i like ryan and have had him 4/5 all year but i think #2 is a big stretch. imo jack johnson is hands down the 2nd best player, and if the team picking 2nd doesn't want a dman then brule will be the guy. imo crosby, johnson, brule will be the top 3, just a question of who goes 2nd brule or johnson.

While I agree that Johnson is the second best player in this draft, I'm not so sure Brule would be the guy if the team in the second position was going for a forward. I think Ryan, Pouliot, or even Kopitar could be the first forward picked.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
I can't believe how little respect pouliot gets around this board. IMO, he's the second best forward after Crosby, ahead of Brule, Ryan and Kopitar, but I often see him outside of the top 5 in people's lists. I don't know if it's because he wasn't on the radar last season or what, but every time I've seen him play, he has impressed me more than the others (granted, I haven't seen Kopitar much).

I don't mean to hijack the thread here. Despite my off topic rant, I don't think it's out of line to think Ryan could go 2nd overall.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
I think it's a possibility but I don't see it happening with guys like Kopitar and Brule in the draft. Kopitar already proved he could play with the big boys at the World Champinship. But if the team drafting 2nd overall really loves Ryan I think it could happen. Just my 0.02 cent.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Habsfan 32 said:
I think it's a possibility but I don't see it happening with guys like Kopitar and Brule in the draft. Kopitar already proved he could play with the big boys at the World Champinship. But if the team drafting 2nd overall really loves Ryan I think it could happen. Just my 0.02 cent.

Let's not go overboard with Kopitar's performance at the Worlds. He was competant, but IMO the only reason he stood out was because the rest of his team was so piss poor. Put a Ryan, Pouliot, or Brule in his place and I'm sure they would have done at least as well.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
Rabid Ranger said:
Let's not go overboard with Kopitar's performance at the Worlds. He was competant, but IMO the only reason he stood out was because the rest of his team was so piss poor. Put a Ryan, Pouliot, or Brule in his place and I'm sure they would have done at least as well.

I'm not getting overboard with his performance I'm just saying that he has all ready proved he could play against the best men in the world, while Pouliot,Brule and Ryan have only played the best players their age in the world.

turnbuckle*

Good thread. I think it's quite possible that Ryan could go second overall depending on the team.

There are scouts at the dinner plate salivating over this rather substantial morsel.
He's projected by many to be a scoring machine in the NHL. It would be interesting to see him playing with Spezza for the next ten seasons, but that's not gonna happen unless the Isles somehow get a top five pick and Milbury gets an itch.

If you asked me tomorrow, I'd predict that he's closer to second than to fifth. As for him being left out of some top ten lists....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad