Status
Not open for further replies.

Kev88

Co-Founder of LaPasserelle
Nov 30, 2003
Canada
www.lapasserellehockey.com
#2 said:
Where do you see this young Nashville prospect career going?
also when do you think he will crack the nashville d core and when he will be making an impact

As lots of experts said, I think he can do like his uncle Gary Suter. He's doing well in the two sides of the ice, so I don't see why he couldn't make the NHL. I think it can take maximum two years or three ;) at the limit to crack the NHL. He'll be doing an impact in two years for me.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
A regular 30-40pts , solid in both end . I would be really surprised if he does something comparable to Gary Suter.

May 1, 2003
Visit site
Brock said:
I think Ryan Suter is the best defensive prospect in the NHL and I think he's got superstar written all over him.

I agree i think Ryan Suter is going to be a stellar defenseman, althought i dont think he is going to do what his uncle Gary did

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Preds 1-2 in about 4 years=

Suter-Hamhuis

:bow: :bow: :bow:

but for real, he's supposedly considerably better than Hamhuis, who, rookie mistakes aside, is already making a huge impact in Nashville, and helping our blueline to be much better than anyone thought it would be.
Suter has great vision, terrific skating, top notch passing...and plays a mean, physical game on top of that. Before the Preds drafted him, I watched a draft preview on Sportsnet, and one of the commentators said, "In ten years, this kid could very well be the single best all-around defenseman in the league". As for when he's going to crack the lineup...it's anyone's guess. Since he's going the college route, and the Preds have no reason to hurry him with the lineup looking pretty set for a couple of years at least, I would guess that he, like Adam Hall and Andrew Hutchinson(and currently Matt Koalska) will be allowed to finish his college career, though if he wanted to opt out early, I don't see why the Preds wouldn't at least give him a year or two in Milwaukee. I'm truly excited about this kid, though, and I was thrilled when the Preds picked him.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Brock said:
I think Ryan Suter is the best defensive prospect in the NHL and I think he's got superstar written all over him.

Agreed. More and more I'm noticing some of the brightest hockey minds on these boards are noticing what exactly Suter has.

Suter, I feel, can be a Brian Leetch type player with a mean streak.

A Scotty Neidermayer perhaps? I dunno. But I do think that Suter will be a Norris-level, or close to it, defender for 10 - 15 years. He reminds me of one of those defenseman that have huge lasting power. He's so smart, I think he could play till he's 40.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Mizral said:
Agreed. More and more I'm noticing some of the brightest hockey minds on these boards are noticing what exactly Suter has.

Suter, I feel, can be a Brian Leetch type player with a mean streak.

A Scotty Neidermayer perhaps? I dunno. But I do think that Suter will be a Norris-level, or close to it, defender for 10 - 15 years. He reminds me of one of those defenseman that have huge lasting power. He's so smart, I think he could play till he's 40.

His intelligence was the one thing that cought my eye at the WJC's. He made the right play every single time he touched the puck. He made some outstanding defensive plays. He was never outmuscled or beaten to the puck. His offensive game seems really raw, and that as he gains more confidence in that area of his game, we could really see his numbers increase.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I agree with the majority of you here. I think he is one of the top-notch d-prospects in the league. His WJC performance was excellent, and he showed an excellent ability to hold the puck in the zone despite the increased surface (Blake anyone :dunno: ). I think this is easily the best player the Predators have ever drafted, and having him win the gold medal at the WJCs this year should only increase his confidence level (especially considering the amount of major mintues he put up). One of the few players that I can't wait to see on the ice for the Preds. Obviously I'm biased here, but man oh man.....he has the skill-set and the background to be one of the best in this league.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
everybody seems to prefer Phaneuf over him .. but I think that he'll be better than phaneuf because of his defensive aspect(almost perfect) and his great offensive touch ... maybe he's not a ''stevens type of player'' like phaneuf but he's a very rough kid with a mean streak ..
I think that he's the best all around d-men prospect in the league and he'll be the leader of the Nashville D-core in the future!!
btw I like phaneuf but I think his offensive skills are overrated .. at the WJC he racked points but he wasnt very creative with puck he just shooted(not that great shot btw).. anyway both are good prospect but i'll choose suter over phaneuf !
I know cgy fans will be all over me .. but im just telling what I saw .. maybe phaneuf we'll make me eat crow .. we'll see ;)

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
I agree with the many of you all's opinions on Suter. IMO, he IS the best NCAA defenseman prospect (although Minnesota's Keith Ballard is a close second).

I've had the pleasure of watching Suter alot already because I've seen so many Wisconsin games already. It took him forever to score his first collegiate goal (it came in game #9), but when he did, all of a sudden the flood gates opened.

I really can't find too many, if any faults with his game. He's just so darn good!!!

With Suter, it's not a matter of IF he'll make the NHL, but rather when. There are things that he does work on/improving on (such as being consistently aware of WHERE you make a clearing attempt, he has...on a rare occasion made a bad outlet pass/clearing attempt). However, it's hard to predict how soon he'll be NHL-bound because it'll be up to the Preds and Suter himself. My guess is that he'll likely stay one more year (especially with the impending CBA expiration) before considering going pro.....just my opinion.

X-SHARKIE

I live in Wisconsin and see lots of Badger games. I also played with Ryan a bit when he was on the Capitals. Very good kid, He is going to be a team captain for the Pres someday, he's going to be a fan favroite. I agree with the Wade Redden comparison, but he really does remind me alot of Gary Suter as well. Either way he's going to be your #1 guy in not to long.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
I really enjoyed watching Suter, and especially Stuart from the USA u20 team. He looks a lot like Redden now that JasonMacIsaac said that.

icarus

Mar 6, 2002
Kingston, ON
Visit site
Kryoptix said:
btw I like phaneuf but I think his offensive skills are overrated .. at the WJC he racked points but he wasnt very creative with puck he just shooted(not that great shot btw)..

It is obvious you haven't seen him much. His shot is the #1 reason why he leads WHL defencemen in goals.

As for Suter, I can't really comment as I've only seen him play once, but I'm more than happy with Phaneuf.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Oiler fan chirping in. I've seen a fair bit of Phaneuf with the Canadian Junior evaluation camp, a few junior games, and the Flames camp. This guy is going to be a super impact defenseman. This comes from an Oilers fan who loaths Phaneuf's future on the Flames blueline.

Mizral dropped by the Oilers board and raves about Suter. I respect his thoughts and opinions but have a hard time believing there is a junior-age defense prospect better than Phaneuf. Tough, physical, mean. Solid offense and defensive skills. I too disagree with the poster suggesting Dion P's shot is lacking.

Tough to say this about our rivals. But the Flames have a keeper.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I've only seen him play in the WJC, but my friend who attends the University of Wisconsin has told me quite a bit about him. From what I gather, he doesn't have near the offensive upside as a Brian Leetch or even a Wade Redden. He looks to be a very very good defensive defenseman with a little bit of offensive upside. Kinda like Adam Foote, but not so nasty. There are a few young D that'd I prefer like Pitkanen and Bouw, but he looks to be a Gem and there could be an argument that he's as good as anyone else like Klesla or Jackman.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Gags1288 said:
I've only seen him play in the WJC, but my friend who attends the University of Wisconsin has told me quite a bit about him. From what I gather, he doesn't have near the offensive upside as a Brian Leetch or even a Wade Redden. He looks to be a very very good defensive defenseman with a little bit of offensive upside. Kinda like Adam Foote, but not so nasty. There are a few young D that'd I prefer like Pitkanen and Bouw, but he looks to be a Gem and there could be an argument that he's as good as anyone else like Klesla or Jackman.

now, to be fair, he's a freshman who got off to a bit of a slow start, but in recent times, the floodgates have opened in terms of point production. i think that there's not a HUGE margin between suter and phaneuf, but there is a gap nonetheless, and suter is the more complete defenseman. scouting agrees. either way, they're both stud d-men. there's no way to deny that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->