Player Discussion Ryan Strome

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
What people seem to be missing is the situation where McDavid is struggling as a center. Not in points but in position.

It's more like paying McDavid to be Leons wing man. They split the center duties but this year Leon has had more success as a center.

Last edited:
Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Ultimately this situation goes back to the failure of the Hall trade. Eberle is a fragile player and could not handle the pressure of being the lead winger on a Canadian team expected to win. He could not handle the pressure.

He's admitted that and would have been miserable here. You can't trade Taylor Hall when your other forwards are that fragile. The rest is fairly predictable. Should have kept Hall and built more deliberately. One good wonder season was not worth it.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
He is what he is. I've been far more disappointed in the big name players like Draisaitl, Klefbom and Talbot this year.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
If the Oilers are ever to be successful they need McDavid/Draisatl centering their own lines. They can't be paying Leon 8.5/yr to be McDavid's wingman. They really didn't need Strome for any reason.

Ultimately this situation goes back to the failure of the Hall trade. Eberle is a fragile player and could not handle the pressure of being the lead winger on a Canadian team expected to win. He could not handle the pressure.

He's admitted that and would have been miserable here. You can't trade Taylor Hall when your other forwards are that fragile. The rest is fairly predictable. Should have kept Hall and built more deliberately. One good wonder season was not worth it.

One good year saved my sanity and kept us from setting a brutal league record.

Last year was a joy I will forever be thankful for to everyone in the organization.

If the Oilers don't make the playoffs this year I will be disappointed but still very optimistic moving forward. I still believe this team can make the playoffs as unlikely as it is. Get healthy get busy and wreck the weak pacific division.

Too much good on this team to be even thinking blow it up. That line of thinking is just too extreme and unwarranted imo.

Reactions: CornKicker

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
One good year saved my sanity and kept us from setting a brutal league record.

Last year was a joy I will forever be thankful for to everyone in the organization.

If the Oilers don't make the playoffs this year I will be disappointed but still very optimistic moving forward. I still believe this team can make the playoffs as unlikely as it is. Get healthy get busy and wreck the weak pacific division.

Too much good on this team to be even thinking blow it up. That line of thinking is just too extreme and unwarranted imo.

They would be more like the Leafs had they not done that trade. Last year was fun but not worth it. You lose Hall and that forces Eberle to crack too because he can't handle pressure. Not worth it for Adam Larsson.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
They would be more like the Leafs had they not done that trade. Last year was fun but not worth it. You lose Hall and that forces Eberle to crack too because he can't handle pressure. Not worth it for Adam Larsson.

Hall and Eberle are entertaining but without Larsson, or equivalent to which I seen no others available, this team does what it always does with Hall and Eberle, lose badly.

Pretending Hall, Eberle, McDavid etc... would have been better than last year's group when we have proof otherwise... I will never understand that line of thinking.

Toronto is out east as well. Track record shows how well fast talented teams do in the heavy western conference/division on an 82 game schedule.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hall and Eberle are entertaining but without Larsson, or equivalent to which I seen no others available, this team does what it always does with Hall and Eberle, lose badly.

Pretending Hall, Eberle, McDavid etc... would have been better than last year's group when we have proof otherwise... I will never understand that line of thinking.

Toronto is out east as well. Track record shows how well fast talented teams do in the heavy western conference/division on an 82 game schedule.

Hall is more than entertaining, he's an elite tier player that can drive a line. We are one dimensional without that and teams have scouted that.

Toronto would be good in the West too, don't kid yourself.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Hall is more than entertaining, he's an elite tier player that can drive a line. We are one dimensional without that and teams have scouted that.

Toronto would be good in the West too, don't kid yourself.

Lol Toronto and Hall are the definition of one dimensional, not the current Oilers. People have been saying for years players like Hall and Eberle would succeed out east with smaller less physical teams. Those teams don't work out west. We had that team and it didn't work.

I wouldn't trade our D, when healthy, for thiers, even if they tossed in Marner.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lol Toronto and Hall are the definition of one dimensional, not the current Oilers. People have been saying for years players like Hall and Eberle would succeed out east with smaller less physical teams. Those teams don't work out west. We had that team and it didn't work.

I wouldn't trade our D, when healthy, for thiers, even if they tossed in Marner.

Our D is nothing special and both Hall and the Leafs are likely to be playing hockey in late April. Who knows where the Oilers will be.

Leafs would demolish this sad sack division to boot.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Our D is nothing special and both Hall and the Leafs are likely to be playing hockey in late April. Who knows where the Oilers will be.

Leafs would demolish this sad sack division to boot.

Leafs have a playoff level team. But their division is weak like ours and the Leafs are not even close to a powerhouse primarily because of their defense.

Hall has a huge chance, especially compared to the Oilers, of making the playoffs but I personally wouldn’t bet on it. Some devils fans seem to think they have been more lucky than good so far this season. Especially with Halls/Devils track record it’s not hard to see him fade or fall apart as the season goes on.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
He isn’t being utilized properly either. He’s our future 4C once we trade Letestu at the deadline. When you can’t oroduce with Mcdavid, Draisaitl or RNH as your center then you are barely an NHL player.

Echodek

Feb 6, 2011
Travis Yost is reporting that the original return for Eberle included De Haan as well as Strome. Snow backed out and Chia took Strome straight up for Eberle anyway.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Travis Yost is reporting that the original return for Eberle included De Haan as well as Strome. Snow backed out and Chia took Strome straight up for Eberle anyway.

Every GM knows Chiarelli is easy pickings. Just wait a bit and he'll sell for below market value. He's a sucker.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He's not awful. He's useless. I think there is probably a distinction to be made there. But he doesn't help you win games. Which is what this team needs. Very easy to go through 3 or 4 games and forget he's even playing.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

The advanced stats guy on TSN? I call BS.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
doubt it...
with Chia at the helm, Eberle was always as good as gone.

We'll never know will we. That said we likely would've gotten better offers than Ryan Strome for him if he played better than he did for us last season.

It's funny to hear people earlier this year saying the Oilers sh% would normalize itself while Eberle was suffering through some very poor shooting percentage....

But hey, cap space, amirite.

I don't know how many goals Ebs has or what his shooting % is since I genearally don't care that much once a guy is traded. It's just too bad that he couldn't be bothered to work on his skating until he left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->