Ryan Strome, Where Does He Fit In?

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Probably because JP is the least effective ES player between the three of them currently. And together so far this season they've looked good as a third line capable of pining the opposing team in their own zone. Jesse needs to continue learning how to use his frame effectively before he's capable of taking on more responsibility. The idea that he should be playing with faster players is kind of laughable considering he's still a bit of a klutz in terms of puck handling.
How have they been pinning opposing teams in their own zone? In any case, even if they've spent more time in the opposing zone than their own, they haven't been generating quality scoring chances and haven't been threatening (mostly b/c Jesse has trouble handling the puck, and neither Lucic/Strome can handle even a simple pass), so you're not getting the benefit of 2nd/3rd scoring opportunities that would normally be the benefit of keeping the puck in. It's a nothing line that kinda just goes out there for a minute and does nothing while rarely costing you anything, and that's really what Strome is, a nothing player that rarely costs you. The line is awful and needs to be purged immediately.

Also, how is Puljujarvi supposed to improve in even strength play, when the two players he plays with are awful at even strength too?

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Edmonton is not the place for Strome to find his game.
This is the place you come to lose your game.

Haven't liked this guy 1 bit all season but he fits in with the rest of the team disregarding McDavid, Leon, and RNH, The rest of the team are about as stupid at hockey as strome so may as well stick around for another year.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I don't think he's an effective special teams player, really. I barely think he's a legitimate center. Even if 3M were the going rate for Strome-like players (and I think that's high), top-heavy cap teams can't afford to be paying market value to depth role players.

I don't have room for him next year. I would walk on him before I would qualify him. There are literally a hundred of him and many of these players are going to sign for half of what Strome is in-line for.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
[QUOTE="SK13, post: 143793517, member: 57716"]I don't think he's an effective special teams player, really. I barely think he's a legitimate center. Even if 3M were the going rate for Strome-like players (and I think that's high), top-heavy cap teams can't afford to be paying market value to depth role players.

I don't have room for him next year. I would walk on him before I would qualify him. There are literally a hundred of him and many of these players are going to sign for half of what Strome is in-line for.[/QUOTE]

Not sure how you can come to that conclusion. Our PK was a mess this year. Three key things happened. Talbot started playing better, and Strome and Khaira were given prominent roles. Since those changes were made, we've had one of the better PK's in the league, and Strome is a big part of that.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
How have they been pinning opposing teams in their own zone? In any case, even if they've spent more time in the opposing zone than their own, they haven't been generating quality scoring chances and haven't been threatening (mostly b/c Jesse has trouble handling the puck, and neither Lucic/Strome can handle even a simple pass), so you're not getting the benefit of 2nd/3rd scoring opportunities that would normally be the benefit of keeping the puck in. It's a nothing line that kinda just goes out there for a minute and does nothing while rarely costing you anything, and that's really what Strome is, a nothing player that rarely costs you. The line is awful and needs to be purged immediately.

Also, how is Puljujarvi supposed to improve in even strength play, when the two players he plays with are awful at even strength too?
Both Strome and Lucic are above average third line producers. I'm not sure what your expectations are from these types of players but I can assure you your idea of their replacements are barely passable fourth line options let alone third line material.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Both Strome and Lucic are above average third line producers. I'm not sure what your expectations are from these types of players but I can assure you your idea of their replacements are barely passable fourth line options let alone third line material.
Now I'm convinced you just haven't been watching any games, or even highlights recently. You know who is barely passable as a fourth liner right now? Milan Lucic and in his 1 goal and 3 assists in the last 31 games, all the while being at best average defensively and having more power play time than any Oilers forward not named Connor or Leon. Ryan Strome and his 1 goal and 1 assist in the last 12 games has gone ice cold too, while having the 4th most power play time among Oilers forwards, more than the vastly superior RNH, all the while being an outright liability defensively. If these two losers are "above average" third line players, then the NHL is headed into a dark era. They should both be kept as far away from Puljujarvi as possible.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Not sure how you can come to that conclusion. Our PK was a mess this year. Three key things happened. Talbot started playing better, and Strome and Khaira were given prominent roles. Since those changes were made, we've had one of the better PK's in the league, and Strome is a big part of that.

The Oilers penalty-killing this year is absurdly bizarre. From some of the worst home numbers in history to the leagues best on the road. What's happening here is more complex than "we put a guy who never killed penalties in his career and suddenly we got good". The fact that this has coincided with actual goaltending is probably not an accident, either.

Even if I'm wrong, the penalty kill is the easiest game state to solve for and most 3C options will kill.

It just doesn't matter. The Oilers do not have the luxury of paying role players market price. The cost of paying 33M for 4 forwards is you need to fill spots with ELCs and low-priced vets.

There are "literally" (interesting use of that word) a hundred players in their prime you can sign that will get you roughly 15 goals, 35 points and PK for $1.5M/yr? I'd like to know just a few that you have in mind that you can sign for that cheap.

I didn't say there are "literally a hundred players in their prime who you can sign and will score 15 goals and 35 points for 1.5M a year". I said there are a literally a hundred players like Ryan Strome and many of them would be cheaper. There are 50 centers in the NHL between 25 and 40 points. Many more when you factor in the dozen that will enter the league, the injured and the under-performing (the Plekanec's of the world). This isn't a complete player. The offense isn't there. He's a dime a dozen and there are options everywhere - most will not cost 3M.

And about his scoring. He has 4 points in 15 games as the 3C. Getting a small handful of points on the wings of better players inside the top-six does not make you a ~15 goal, 30 point 3C. It makes you an under-performing 2line winger.

Last edited:

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Now I'm convinced you just haven't been watching any games, or even highlights recently. You know who is barely passable as a fourth liner right now? Milan Lucic and in his 1 goal and 3 assists in the last 31 games, all the while being at best average defensively and having more power play time than any Oilers forward not named Connor or Leon. Ryan Strome and his 1 goal and 1 assist in the last 12 games has gone ice cold too, while having the 4th most power play time among Oilers forwards, more than the vastly superior RNH, all the while being an outright liability defensively. If these two losers are "above average" third line players, then the NHL is headed into a dark era. They should both be kept as far away from Puljujarvi as possible.
I watch nearly every game. You're assuming Milan Lucic will always be a struggling offensive player now, which is pretty frigging ridiculous considering the past several games where he's been paired with Ryan Strome he's actually looked considerably better. The goals won't always allude the rest of this lineup. The struggling now, will always struggle mentality is frigging hilarious when it only applies to the specific players.

We have a 24 year old right shooting center who is pretty much a guaranteed 30 point producer every season and he's due $3m at the end of this season. You'd have to be borderline Pejorative Slured to walk away from that because the UFA market will never give you anyone close to comparable. And if Ryan Strome were the player people want him to be as our preferred third line center, he'd probably cost closer to $5m on the open market.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It just doesn't matter. The Oilers do not have the luxury of paying role players market price. The cost of paying 33M for 4 forwards is you need to fill spots with ELCs and low-priced vets.
And this team will be doing that with their wingers. If you haven't noticed by now, this team has been building their depth through center because centers can play all three forward positions. Strome has played RW this year and has settled in as the 3C capable of playing all situations. That's pretty valuable and considering he's still relatively young, there's little likelihood you'll be able to find better value elsewhere.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think it simply comes down to can you find a better #3C for under $3M and get this player without giving up any assets?

The answer to that is very unlikely, IMO.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think it simply comes down to can you find a better #3C for under $3M and get this player without giving up any assets?

The answer to that is very unlikely, IMO.
Can u find a top 6 winger for less than 3M? The answer is yes.
Move Nuge to C and play the 3M winger with McD.
If we are going for the cup we need to keep our elite players. Having to move Nuge as a cap casualty because of Strome would be sad.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Can u find a top 6 winger for less than 3M? The answer is yes.
Move Nuge to C and play the 3M winger with McD.
If we are going for the cup we need to keep our elite players. Having to move Nuge as a cap casualty because of Strome would be sad.

I don't think Strome at $3M means you lose RNH at all.

You aren't going to find a cheaper, better #3C unless you trade for a cheaper player like Jarnkrok or you fill from within with a guy like Khaira. That means you're giving up some solid assets or going with a worse #3C.

There's already been pretty big inflation for salaries and it's only going to keep increasing with how much the cap is going up. $3M for a 3rd line player isn't expensive.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I watch nearly every game. You're assuming Milan Lucic will always be a struggling offensive player now, which is pretty frigging ridiculous considering the past several games where he's been paired with Ryan Strome he's actually looked considerably better. The goals won't always allude the rest of this lineup. The struggling now, will always struggle mentality is frigging hilarious when it only applies to the specific players.

We have a 24 year old right shooting center who is pretty much a guaranteed 30 point producer every season and he's due $3m at the end of this season. You'd have to be borderline ******ed to walk away from that because the UFA market will never give you anyone close to comparable. And if Ryan Strome were the player people want him to be as our preferred third line center, he'd probably cost closer to $5m on the open market.
Oh yeah. These two are looking real good this game. Has that line generated a single scoring chance all game long? I guess Ryan Strome indirectly got a few by taking a penalty and leading to a few short handed opportunities? Lucic I don't believe has controlled a single pass this entire game. You're right it only applies to specific players though, because they're either declining like crazy (Lucic) or just outright terrible at hockey (Strome). That guaranteed 30 points comes with inconsistency, horrendous defense, and brings absolutely no physicality/energy/any other useful contribution most third liners bring.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Oh yeah. These two are looking real good this game. Has that line generated a single scoring chance all game long? I guess Ryan Strome indirectly got a few by taking a penalty and leading to a few short handed opportunities? Lucic I don't believe has controlled a single pass this entire game. You're right it only applies to specific players though, because they're either declining like crazy (Lucic) or just outright terrible at hockey (Strome). That guaranteed 30 points comes with inconsistency, horrendous defense, and brings absolutely no physicality/energy/any other useful contribution most third liners bring.
Yep. 'Declining like crazy'. It's a game in garbage time. Too bad we don't have Eberle anymore, he used to shine in these games.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Yep. 'Declining like crazy'. It's a game in garbage time. Too bad we don't have Eberle anymore, he used to shine in these games.

Jason Gregors show pretty much dispelled the myth of 'garbage time'.

Of the 10 bottom teams in the league, not a single one is over .500 over the last 10 games, aka Garbage Time. Nor has Edmonton ever once been above .500 in their last 20 games of the seasons that they've missed the playoffs over the decade of darkness.

Bad teams don't suddenly get good when the pressures off. They stay bad.

Reactions: Jamin

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Strome is like the shining example that you get what you pay for. I mean, you can go to the dollar store, buy some supplies and be really proud because you saved a ton of money vs going to Staples. But then it breaks down 2 days after because its cheap and now you have nothing

When we acquired Strome, he was dwindling in the NHL. People tried to justify this trade as getting a cheaper player. And while yes cap wise hes cheaper, hes even more of a downgrade from Eberle. Strome plays just at, or beneath, his cap hit. Hes a run of the mill bottom 6 depth player. Hes Drake Cagguila essentially

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Strome is like the shining example that you get what you pay for. I mean, you can go to the dollar store, buy some supplies and be really proud because you saved a ton of money vs going to Staples. But then it breaks down 2 days after because its cheap and now you have nothing

When we acquired Strome, he was dwindling in the NHL. People tried to justify this trade as getting a cheaper player. And while yes cap wise hes cheaper, hes even more of a downgrade from Eberle. Strome plays just at, or beneath, his cap hit. Hes a run of the mill bottom 6 depth player. Hes Drake Cagguila essentially
it's more of a "cap savings" trade

the problem is Chia didn't use the cap savings on anyone

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad