Ryan Strome, Where Does He Fit In?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Do you run with McDavid/Drai/RNH at center or Khaira at #3C if you let him walk?
Either/or... depends upon who we can add this offseason. 2019 1st should be our main trade chip (not RNH or Klefbom).. 2018 1st if going for a big fish.
If we can add a couple wingers then RNH could play on 3rd line..
Caggiula can play C as well and would certainly not be commanding 3M per.

At worst we move Khaira up and bring in a Letestu'ish vet for 4th line.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Either/or... depends upon who we can add this offseason. 2019 1st should be our main trade chip (not RNH or Klefbom).. 2018 1st if going for a big fish.

2019 1st is going nowhere.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Strome gets crapped on because he's useless.

Nonsense. He gets crapped on because people can't get over who was traded for him. If Strome was signed for 1 yr $2.5M and not traded for Eberle, there's no way he would be receiving all this criticism.

Yes, the scoring touch hasn't been there but he creates a lot of chances and set up his linemates for some golden chances tonight. He has also been good on the PK. Yes he needs to cash in on some of those chances but he hasn't been useless.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Nonsense. He gets crapped on because people can't get over who was traded for him. If Strome was signed for 1 yr $2.5M and not traded for Eberle, there's no way he would be receiving all this criticism.

Yes, the scoring touch hasn't been there but he creates a lot of chances and set up his linemates for some golden chances tonight. He has also been good on the PK. Yes he needs to cash in on some of those chances but he hasn't been useless.
What game were you watching? Aside from the crossbar hit and the one pass to Puljujarvi, he was god awful. Couldn't catch a pass to save his life and passed the puck to absolutely nobody on multiple occasions.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Well can we agree it was a hot streak now? Last page when I said that a lot of posters said he turned a page which I personally never saw.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He's too timid of a personality to be a great player. He some tools for sure and some OK hockey I.Q./vision, but is a low motor player.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He is a good support player, you don't run off good support players unless they want too much $. There is nothing wrong with him as a 3rd line player that can step into the top 6 due to injury. He is also young enough that we could see some improvement from him next season.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
This year was garbage. Strome was garbage at the early parts of the year. That being said, I expect this team better next year and I expect Strome to be adjusted and better next year. Keep him because he is a good kid and isn't quite as bad as we all thought.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
He is best when he is on the 3rd line carrying the puck. If I was gm I would be happy with him as my 3rd line center for the forseeable future. He is still young and should continue to develop as well.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
He is a good support player, you don't run off good support players unless they want too much $. There is nothing wrong with him as a 3rd line player that can step into the top 6 due to injury. He is also young enough that we could see some improvement from him next season.

He makes too much money. His QO is for too much money.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

$3M is not too much for a 3rd liner in what is projected to be a rising cap. It would be stupid to not qualify him. Why create a hole if they don't have to?

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
To keep it in perspective, 3 million now is equal to 1.5 mil the first year after the lockout.

A 6 million dollar contract is now equal to 3 million then.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

So, assuming Lucic continues to struggle and we have to play him down the lineup, you are proposing that we have TWO 6 million dollar men in the bottom 6?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

If a guy can produce 30 + points every year, kill penalties effectively, and help out on the PP from time to time, I see no problem with 3 mill for him as a 3rd line centre. The main thing is that he needs to get much better on his faceoffs.

Reactions: OilDrop37

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
What game were you watching? Aside from the crossbar hit and the one pass to Puljujarvi, he was god awful. Couldn't catch a pass to save his life and passed the puck to absolutely nobody on multiple occasions.

Every Oiler was pretty bad that game. I thought he worked hard, and at least produced a few scoring chances. If you want to point fingers individually, offensive drivers Nuge handled the puck like a grenade all night, and Drai was a giveaway machine.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
If a guy can produce 30 + points every year, kill penalties effectively, and help out on the PP from time to time, I see no problem with 3 mill for him as a 3rd line centre. The main thing is that he needs to get much better on his faceoffs.

I don't think he's an effective special teams player, really. I barely think he's a legitimate center. Even if 3M were the going rate for Strome-like players (and I think that's high), top-heavy cap teams can't afford to be paying market value to depth role players.

I don't have room for him next year. I would walk on him before I would qualify him. There are literally a hundred of him and many of these players are going to sign for half of what Strome is in-line for.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Back to being ****ing useless. He had his nice little spurt where he had 5 goals in 5 games and has done nothing since.

Finds new ways to blow scoring chances every night.

He's a tweener who doesn't belong in the top 9 on a good team.
I told you guys to not get excited over the 5-10 games he started to look like he was figuring it out. The dude did this every year on the Islanders. Have a short burst or two of productivity, flashing signs of why he was picked top 5 in the first place, then going straight back to sucking. The dude just doesn't have a single skill that is above average at an NHL level, be it shooting, passing, skating, speed, edgework, thinking, hitting, playmaking, anticipating the puck, screening, deflections, puck battles, takeaways, puck control, controlling passes, power play, penalty kill, faceoffs. Nothing. Like if there was an amalgamation of a hockey player with every skill at the bottom quartile mark relative to other NHLers, Ryan Strome would be it. He's, to put it bluntly, not the kind of player teams want.

Draisaitl struggles with Lucic on his line "poor Drai, look who he's playing with". Strome gets Lucic on his LW and gets crapped on. Yeah no agenda at all.
He was sucking donkey genitalia well before he was playing with Lucic.
No he isn't. Good support players do things like play physical to energize the team, win puck battles along the board, get into open positions so the line drivers can feed them for clean shots/easy tap ins, and are capable of catching a ****ing pass. Which one of those does he do?

Bad support players like Strome try to do what a line driver does, but have plays die on their stick due to a lack of talent, a lack of hockey IQ, or in Strome's case. Both. Dude's like a Yakupov with slightly better everything except speed and shot. That screams reclamation project, not a player you can rely on.
Do you really want to bank on Strome as a penalty killer? I mean sure our percentages have been better lately, but I still see a lot of quality power play scoring chances when Strome is out there. The difference is that our goalies have been actually making a save once in a while now. Keep in mind this is Strome's first year penalty killing and just because our PK percentage has been improving doesn't mean he's actually limiting scoring opportunities. There was a point in time when Sam Gagner improved our penalty kill percentage lmfao.
Every Oiler was pretty bad that game. I thought he worked hard, and at least produced a few scoring chances. If you want to point fingers individually, offensive drivers Nuge handled the puck like a grenade all night, and Drai was a giveaway machine.
Oh believe me, I thought Nuge and Drai were dreadful last game. I was merely responding to the poster who thought Strome had a good game, when the guy was clearly a liability.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
So, assuming Lucic continues to struggle and we have to play him down the lineup, you are proposing that we have TWO 6 million dollar men in the bottom 6?
Bottom 6 means nothing..RNH would still be playing 18-20mins per night despite being "in bottom 6".
You can say we will have a 6M+ plus player on each line if Lucic is this horrible next yr.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
$3M is not too much for a 3rd liner in what is projected to be a rising cap. It would be stupid to not qualify him. Why create a hole if they don't have to?
Rather have a hole than to lock up plugs long term... we could certainly use a hole or 2 on D

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He was sucking donkey genitalia well before he was playing with Lucic.

No he isn't. Good support players do things like play physical to energize the team, win puck battles along the board, get into open positions so the line drivers can feed them for clean shots/easy tap ins, and are capable of catching a ****ing pass. Which one of those does he do?

Bad support players like Strome try to do what a line driver does, but have plays die on their stick due to a lack of talent, a lack of hockey IQ, or in Strome's case. Both. Dude's like a Yakupov with slightly better everything except speed and shot. That screams reclamation project, not a player you can rely on.

He adds offense to the bottom 6, can move up the lineup if need be, can play on special teams, he is a versatile player that has been much better since settling into a new team. Given our lack of center depth outside of the NHL I would bring him back as long as it is at or below $3 million AAV.

I'd prefer if his QO were $500K cheaper but it's not. 3C is an important position and I'm not interested in allocating only $1 million to fill that spot unless a great deal falls in our laps.

Either sign him or trade him, walking away from him would be ridiculous.

He's also young enough that he can improve. The main key is keeping him down the middle as he plays much better there than on the wing.

I don't think he's an effective special teams player, really. I barely think he's a legitimate center. Even if 3M were the going rate for Strome-like players (and I think that's high), top-heavy cap teams can't afford to be paying market value to depth role players.

I don't have room for him next year. I would walk on him before I would qualify him. There are literally a hundred of him and many of these players are going to sign for half of what Strome is in-line for.

100 players that can play center, get 30 points and sign for $1.5 million? Like who? Gagner maybe?

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
He adds offense to the bottom 6, can move up the lineup if need be, can play on special teams, he is a versatile player that has been much better since settling into a new team. Given our lack of center depth outside of the NHL I would bring him back as long as it is at or below $3 million AAV.
What offense does he bring? The dude gets more power play time than most top 6 forwards and can't do anything with it. His even strength production is nothing to write home about either and is at best average among third liners, except most other third liner has other useful contributions (faceoffs, physicality, defensive play etc), none of which he can do.

Strome isn't versatile at all. He isn't being moved around because he can play well at any position, but rather because he can't do any of them properly. As a center, he's abysmal at faceoffs, and unlike McDavid, he can't pass to save his life either. As a winger, he's the second slowest forward on our team and can't catch a pass if his life dependent on it, and unlike other wingers who have plays die on their stick (Caggiula, Pakarainen etc), he doesn't do anything useful like hit or win puck battles. He has no niche whatsoever and the only reason he sees play is because Chiarelli/McLellan have fallen victim to the sunken cost fallacy and stick him in positions where he doesn't belong (multiple attempts to get him going on the wing with RNH/Drai) or give him opportunitites he doesn't deserve (5th most power play time on the team).

Either sign him or trade him, walking away from him would be ridiculous.
I actually agree. Somebody is going to take a look and say "hey former top 5 pick, lets hope we can get him going as a reclamation project" and offer a 3rd rounder. Unfortunately nobody is gonna be offering a useful top 6 forward like, say, a Jordan Eberle. No GM would be stupid enough to do that right?

He's also young enough that he can improve. The main key is keeping him down the middle as he plays much better there than on the wing.
The thing is he isn't improving. He's playing the same frustrating style he's been playing in NYI the past few seasons where he tries to play like a line driver, but ends up falling flat on his face because his skating is horrendous and his playmaking skills are lacking.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

You underrate the hell out of him. His production this season has been well above what you'd expect out of an average third line center. Considering he's been taking on more responsibility down the stretch and has been helping improve the PK, I'm at a loss where you think a cheap FA signing comes in and hits the ground running.

Strome is 24 and is entering the years where his production should be at its highest. Letting him walk over a discrepancy of a couple hundred grand would be incomprehensible. Considering how rare quality right shot centers are compounds that.

A third line of Lucic - Strome - Puljujarvi next season is an exciting prospect.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Well can we agree it was a hot streak now? Last page when I said that a lot of posters said he turned a page which I personally never saw.

Obviously scoring five goals in five games was a hot streak.

It's pretty silly to suggest he hasn't settled into a role and isn't a decent enough player when not scoring at a goal-per-game pace though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad