Ryan Stone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Just wondering how good this guy is. I have been following him since last year and only thought the guy was a decent two way guy who will stick up for his teammates, but he has been absolutely lighting it up so far in the WHL. Just wondering, since I have never actually seen him play, how good he is (or could become).

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
I think he could top out as a second-line center who brings toughness, leadership and hardwork to his team. However I believe he will end up being a good third line center. An energy guy who can spark his team with a big hit or a fight. He's not the fastest or most skilled guy but he is tough as nails. IMO the two best parts of his game are his forecheck and his vision and hockey sense. He;s great on the forecheck and often makes d-men cough the puck up, good on the cycle as he uses his size to his advantage (Darryl Sutter would love this guy). He also posesses great vision and is a good playmaker and passer often waiting the extra second and taking a hit to spring a teammate, I don't think he gets enough credit for this part of his game.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm really surprised at his production thus far, too. I'm not an expert on him but I've seen him play a few times over the years and haven't been that impressed really. Average skater, decent playmaking skills, not much of a natural touch around the net, but a lot of heart and grit. I had him lumped in with guys like Chris Thorburn and Jay McClement who were PF types in junior but lacked the skating and natural skills to make the transition in that role to pro, and look like 4th line pluggers if they make the NHL, at best. I might have to re-evaluate if he keeps going like this, though.

Bully73

Jul 22, 2004
Brandon
As a Wheat Kings season ticket holder, his success is no surprise. Stone has been a budding star ever since his rookie season as a 16 year old. Unfortunately, he has had injury problems the last two years which has slowed down his progression. Before the season started, I figured Fehr and Stone could both challenge for the scoring title as linemates and it is looking good so far. As other posters have said, he is a great forechecker and he gets under the other teams skin. He has taken bad penalties in the past, but he seems to have really matured this year - still being a pest, but knowing where the line is and not crossing it - took his first penalty of the season tonight.

Bacchus

Nov 11, 2002
Dickes B
Visit site
Bully73 said:
As a Wheat Kings season ticket holder, his success is no surprise. Stone has been a budding star ever since his rookie season as a 16 year old. Unfortunately, he has had injury problems the last two years which has slowed down his progression. Before the season started, I figured Fehr and Stone could both challenge for the scoring title as linemates and it is looking good so far. As other posters have said, he is a great forechecker and he gets under the other teams skin. He has taken bad penalties in the past, but he seems to have really matured this year - still being a pest, but knowing where the line is and not crossing it - took his first penalty of the season tonight.

What can he do at NHL level in your opinion?

Bully73

Jul 22, 2004
Brandon
Franz said:
What can he do at NHL level in your opinion?
I can see him being a good second line power forward. He could also be a very effective 3rd line grinder as he has lots of energy and heart and has perfected the art of getting other teams upset and off their game. I'm not sure if he has the talent to be a 1st line forward - perhaps if he keeps improving his skating.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I absolutely love Stoner, but I've only seen tapes of him from a couple years ago.

From all I've read though, he definitely seems like a cross between Ricci and Tucker. The kind of guy fans and players of 29 teams absolutely loathe but that one team that has him can't get enough of him.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
MS said:
I'm really surprised at his production thus far, too. I'm not an expert on him but I've seen him play a few times over the years and haven't been that impressed really. Average skater, decent playmaking skills, not much of a natural touch around the net, but a lot of heart and grit. I had him lumped in with guys like Chris Thorburn and Jay McClement who were PF types in junior but lacked the skating and natural skills to make the transition in that role to pro, and look like 4th line pluggers if they make the NHL, at best. I might have to re-evaluate if he keeps going like this, though.

I concur with MS completely.

I havent seen him a ton, but Stone didn't seem to pull away like some expected him to after the 2001-02 season. Fehr basically blew by him in Brandon where Stone used to be the main attraction. Overall, I think while he is having a good season, it's sort of to be expected from a 20 year old in the WHL. He's got the level of skills where he can be a force in junior, but I question his ability when it comes to what will be asked of him when he turns pro.

That said, he's a competitor, and his heart could take him a long way. I think a second line would be living in a dream world though. Maybe a 3rd or 4th line guy in the NHL. Maybe.

But again, I haven't seen him play 20 games or anything, so maybe a Wheat King fan could shed more light here.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
The few times I saw him, I loved him and said back then he has raw potential. So I'm not surprised.

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=1723853&highlight=Stone#post1723853

I saw him pull some really good moves before he was drafted but at the same time there is a lack of control. It's not like he's a natural all-skill player but he's got something in him. And what I really like is that he is not automatically a waste selection if he doesn't realize this potential. He can still be useful.

I really wanted to draft him in my fantasy league but other players fell. I should still have bumped him up my list further in retrospect because I like that kind of guy.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
i like what i've been hearing about the pens' second tier prospects like talbot, stone, and eaves.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Dark Metamorphosis said:
i like what i've been hearing about the pens' second tier prospects like talbot, stone, and eaves.

And you should. There are nice players in the system. Some will not make it but there is a sufficient number that you will have some cool surprises and perhaps even guys who will surpass expectations.

I don't know if Talbot can translate well in the NHL but I really enjoy watching him play.

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
Jay Thompson said:
I concur with MS completely.

I havent seen him a ton, but Stone didn't seem to pull away like some expected him to after the 2001-02 season. Fehr basically blew by him in Brandon where Stone used to be the main attraction. Overall, I think while he is having a good season, it's sort of to be expected from a 20 year old in the WHL. He's got the level of skills where he can be a force in junior, but I question his ability when it comes to what will be asked of him when he turns pro.

That said, he's a competitor, and his heart could take him a long way. I think a second line would be living in a dream world though. Maybe a 3rd or 4th line guy in the NHL. Maybe.

But again, I haven't seen him play 20 games or anything, so maybe a Wheat King fan could shed more light here.
Well he's not a 20 year old he's only 19 and his points per game last year were right up there with Fehr.

X-SHARKIE

Vlad The Impaler said:
And you should. There are nice players in the system. Some will not make it but there is a sufficient number that you will have some cool surprises and perhaps even guys who will surpass expectations.

I don't know if Talbot can translate well in the NHL but I really enjoy watching him play.

Well put, I can't waite to see Talbot in the AHL this season and see how he plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->