Ansar Khan: Ryan Sproul out awhile; Call-Up 2?

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Blashill said Sproul out a while with sprained knee. No decision on who'll be recalled. #RedWings

- Ansar Khan

We've used a call-up on Mitch Callahan so I think we have three left. A D was going to be called up regardless due to Kronny. I think here you may have to call-up two of them. We've seen Brian Lashoff, who struggled. I think Robbie Russo needs to be a call-up. Not sure I love the idea of going down to 1 call-up however.

I wouldn't be against signing a free agent - kind of similar to Marc-Andre Bergeron.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Some of these ideas may sound crazy BUT...

Jared Cowen - history with concussing Dats though
James De Haas - might have the skating ability to play here and there

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Dylan mcilrath? And lashoff. Don't bring Russo up maybe next year

Smith wasn't great but he could move the puck. That's the same reason why Spoul is playing. I think Russo can play 12 minutes a game and move the puck. I want to see him get a look personally as Lashoff was pretty poor his last time up, and we already have XO playing the same role but better.

We should have 7 defensemen. I just don't know how I feel about being down to one call-up as a last place team and wanting to see some forwards up. Mitch Callahan call-up looks eh if we call-up two D leaving only one forward unless an emergency. I'd like to see one D called up and then games for Nosek and 1 of Chevy/Lorito/Bertuzzi.

I think JDH could make some sense.. He's big and a good skater. Definitely not NHL ready, but neither are the guys in Grand Rapids and Ryan Sproul

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
Will Joe Hicketts get a look? I could see Russo getting the call too.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Smith wasn't great but he could move the puck. That's the same reason why Spoul is playing. I think Russo can play 12 minutes a game and move the puck. I want to see him get a look personally as Lashoff was pretty poor his last time up, and we already have XO playing the same role but better.

We should have 7 defensemen. I just don't know how I feel about being down to one call-up as a last place team and wanting to see some forwards up. Mitch Callahan call-up looks eh if we call-up two D leaving only one forward unless an emergency. I'd like to see one D called up and then games for Nosek and 1 of Chevy/Lorito/Bertuzzi.

I think JDH could make some sense.. He's big and a good skater. Definitely not NHL ready, but neither are the guys in Grand Rapids and Ryan Sproul

I'm fine with him being called up. But I'd rather he's just up full time next year. Now is a bad time to call up prospects. Ouellet is playing like a top 4 dman. Fringe one maybe but still top 4. And he's only 23-24. Still 5/6 years from his prime (I think dmen are 30? Still a couple anyway 25-26 (which are usually forwards)

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
It has to be Russo! This dude is ready for a look. He is 24 and has looked consistently good.

McIlrath should be the 2nd call up as 7th D/spot duty.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Did Callahan count as a call-up?

I thought he was brought up before the deadline so it wouldn't count as one of the 4 post deadline moves?

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Yeah I guess I missed that one.. My bad. Three call-ups remain. Wouldn't hate Hicketts getting some action for the hell of it.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah I guess I missed that one.. My bad. Three call-ups remain. Wouldn't hate Hicketts getting some action for the hell of it.

Not really a fan of it. I think we should bring up Renouf if we are going with a prospect D-man we should have a look at this year.

Hicketts has had a good transition to pro hockey, I think keeping him down through the year still working down there is the way to go.

Get him a cup of coffee next year where he figures out the whole reach issues he is going to have at the next level where they will really take advantage of his size. I want Hicketts to be a dominant AHL guy when he is called up.

firebirds11

Mar 1, 2017
Agreed Callahan was definitely brought up before the deadline and he replaced Jurco when he was traded. So i don't think that Cally should count as a call-up.

Pete Wallner, the GR beat writer, seems to think Callahan is playoff eligible, which would mean that they used one of their callups on Callahan. Coreau too.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
What the hell is with all these small dmen we have? If at least you get em that small, they better be as talented as Ghostisbere. Didn't know Hicketts and Paetsch were that small.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
What the hell is with all these small dmen we have? If at least you get em that small, they better be as talented as Ghostisbere. Didn't know Hicketts and Paetsch were that small.

At least the small guys we draft seem to develop.

We've drafted a lot of big D-men over the past few years, but they don't even seem to make it to Grand Rapids.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!

To be fair, I don't think there is any development happening for Paetsch at this point. He's just in GR as a vet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad