Recalled/Assigned: Ryan Sproul called up while DeAngelo injured

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
So is Sproul up because of ADA or because Shattenkirk is out?
I’d guess ADA. I was skeptical about Shatty returning this season, and I’ve always liked Sproul. I think he can carve out a niche similar to what Greg Pateryn has done this year in Dallas

Reactions: nyr2k2

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
They are both out with injury @nyr2k2 - hopefully Sproul is motivated for a good game tomorrow. There is no rush to get Kevin S. back - we are not playing for anything now.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Right, agreed. Just wasn't clear from the Tweet in the OP who Sproul was actually replacing since nothing is known yet about ADA. Seems like they'll both be out though, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Also with Sproul, I thought he looked okay the first time he was up. He's UFA at the end of the year. He'll need to impress if he wants a deal from us.

Reactions: BobSantos and Ori

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I get what you're saying. Just gives me a crappy feeling to see inferior players getting NHL time. And when I say inferior, I mean this year.

Fat Smith > O'Gara
I do agree. O'Gara is not good. But this year is a lost cause anyway and I think Smith kind of deserves the demotion/reprimand. Make him ride the bus for the remainder of the year and see what that does for his motivation. If he can't come to camp in the most kick ass shape of his life and ready to play hockey, then nothing can motivate him. I do think he will have a HUGE bounce back year next year though.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Ryan Sproul making a case for régular job next year in NYR ?

While the team rebuilds and toys around wth guys and figures things out, sure. Longer term when they're ready to really compete again, most likely not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Off Sides

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Ryan Sproul's a UFA this summer. My guess is he won't be back. The Rangers are looking at 39 total contracts right now and I'm counting RFA's Spooner, Hayes, Namestnikov, Skjei and Vesey. I'm not counting RFA's Nieves, Tambellini, Fogarty, O'Gara, Gilmour, Bigras, Mazanec--some of whom I expect will be re-signed but not all. I suspect the Rangers will make at least a couple trades and sign at least 3-4 UFA's so we'll have to wait and see how things shake out but Sproul's pretty replaceable IMO in the scheme of things. I suspect we'll carry 47-48 contracts of the 50 contract max.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The only way I see Sproul coming back is if no one else wants him and he takes an AHL deal (unlikely), or if the Rangers decided to move on from both Gilmour AND O'Gara, which is even more unlikely. So basically, I don't see it.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The only way I see Sproul coming back is if no one else wants him and he takes an AHL deal (unlikely), or if the Rangers decided to move on from both Gilmour AND O'Gara, which is even more unlikely. So basically, I don't see it.

I'm looking at the RFA's and I'm thinking Fogarty and Tambellini for two are done and quite possibly we don't re-sign Mazanec and/or Gilmour either. I think O'Gara will be back. If the Rangers were to re-sign Pavelec or another UFA goalie to be backup next year I don't see Mazanec getting another shot with us as Georgiev is almost certainly going to be the No. 1 in Hartford.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Brendan Smith bought out. Look at it this way---cap hit -950 K for being in the AHL vs. cap hit buyout amount spread over six years.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If the new coach here wants to employ a zone approach to defense, I’d keep Sproul and O’Gara over Gilmour. Their wing span will be more useful in a scheme that needs less chasing.

It’s important to note as well that Sproul had a pretty serious injury last year and he seems to still be improving after that injury.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm looking at the RFA's and I'm thinking Fogarty and Tambellini for two are done and quite possibly we don't re-sign Mazanec and/or Gilmour either. I think O'Gara will be back. If the Rangers were to re-sign Pavelec or another UFA goalie to be backup next year I don't see Mazanec getting another shot with us as Georgiev is almost certainly going to be the No. 1 in Hartford.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Brendan Smith bought out. Look at it this way---cap hit -950 K for being in the AHL vs. cap hit buyout amount spread over six years.
Regarding Smith, not sure I see a buyout. Unless we plan on being up against the cap--which seems unlikely given the infusion of youth into the lineup--they should be able to do at least one more year of Smith in the minors. And that also assumes Smith doesn't get into shape and recover.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Regarding Smith, not sure I see a buyout. Unless we plan on being up against the cap--which seems unlikely given the infusion of youth into the lineup--they should be able to do at least one more year of Smith in the minors. And that also assumes Smith doesn't get into shape and recover.

We'll save a lot of cap over the next two years buying him out. We're going to take an approx. $3.3 mil cap hit annually playing him in Hartford for the next 3 years. Buy him out and we get over $2 mil of that back each of the next two years and we open up a roster space. The third year of his buyout we'd break even. Then three years of a $1.26 mil cap hit which isn't much. It also gives Smith a chance to hook on with another team which I'm sure he would much rather do. Good for the Rangers---good for him. To me if he's not going to play for the Rangers there's no point keeping him.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
DeAngelo is an awful NHL defenseman. He has almost no defensive abilities on the NHL from the games I've seen him in. The fact our gum chewing, clueless coach continued to play him is another example of why he needs to be canned.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
DeAngelo is an awful NHL defenseman. He has almost no defensive abilities on the NHL from the games I've seen him in. The fact our gum chewing, clueless coach continued to play him is another example of why he needs to be canned.
One group of fans point to AV's using ADA as proof of his idiocy. Another group point to AV not using ADA enough as proof of his idiocy.

Reactions: Brooklyn Ranger

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's a lost season and has been so for quite a while. It was well before the deadline that we put out that letter about making changes. The season has been over, realistically, for a couple months. Why wouldn't you play ADA? He's a prospect, who if he put it together, could be very valuable. He needs to play to get better and so we can see where he's really at developmentally. This is absolutely the time to play guys like ADA. If we were in the midst of a playoff race, yeah, I'd be worried about having him out there, but we're not. So give him games and see what we can get out of him. No sense just giving up on him. That would be poor asset management.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
We'll save a lot of cap over the next two years buying him out. We're going to take an approx. $3.3 mil cap hit annually playing him in Hartford for the next 3 years. Buy him out and we get over $2 mil of that back each of the next two years and we open up a roster space. The third year of his buyout we'd break even. Then three years of a $1.26 mil cap hit which isn't much. It also gives Smith a chance to hook on with another team which I'm sure he would much rather do. Good for the Rangers---good for him. To me if he's not going to play for the Rangers there's no point keeping him.
Those are fair points. However, I think it may a moot point. I would suspect the Rangers will give him every opportunity to get back to form and make the team. We have Girardi's $3.6M on the cap for the next two years, and I doubt the Rangers want to add any additional dead money to that, whether it be through buyout or by having Smith in the minors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad