Player Discussion Ryan Spooner

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
This is why I don't know why people wanted to just flip Spooner. Even if you're doing a rebuild you still need some decent players. Spooner is good. I remember in the offseason a lot of people wanted to flip Holden for Spooner (not far off). I didn't think Holden on his own was worth Spooner. Games like last night show you why. He's no star, but when he finds his rhythm he's a nice little player.

Reactions: Edge

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Ottawa has 52 pts, so it could happen @Machinehead - I think Oilers will get past us on the table - so maybe we will end up with the 5th or 6th overall pick at earliest, or we win the lottery for #1.
Anyway Gorton indirectly said it`s not vital to get one of the top 3 picks - so he actually said and hope we are going to win some games end of this season.

we can also win the lottery to move up to the 2nd or 3rd pick. Dahlin would be ideal but i would still be happy with either 2 or 3

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
This is why I don't know why people wanted to just flip Spooner. Even if you're doing a rebuild you still need some decent players. Spooner is good. I remember in the offseason a lot of people wanted to flip Holden for Spooner (not far off). I didn't think Holden on his own was worth Spooner. Games like last night show you why. He's no star, but when he finds his rhythm he's a nice little player.

And that last part about sums it up. Is Spooner an engine who is going to power our offense over an 82 game schedule? Not likely.

But he could be a nice contributor has his stretches where he's more locked in than others if he's healthy and in the right situation.

We keep talking about going out and signing mid-range to upper mid-range players to help fill in the gaps next season. So why trade the ones we already have?

Reactions: belford222

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Spooner is a nice 2nd line winger option who can be a great PP guy. The positional versatility is very nice. He's having the best run of his NHL career since coming back from injury so he's likely to cool off at some point down the stretch. I'd like to see them make him part of the rebuild though. Solid player.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
this team needs guys like spooner who have the knack to get to spots and generate chances. he's talented and smart.

we have kreider very talented and kinda dumb
we had nash talented and not pro-dumb-ctive
we have mika talented and sometimes dumb
we had jt miller talented and mostly dumb

we need some not dumb players and too me, spooner is both productive and smart. fast same thing. i would throw vlady in there too along with zucc and buchy.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
And that last part about sums it up. Is Spooner an engine who is going to power our offense over an 82 game schedule? Not likely.

But he could be a nice contributor has his stretches where he's more locked in than others if he's healthy and in the right situation.

We keep talking about going out and signing mid-range to upper mid-range players to help fill in the gaps next season. So why trade the ones we already have?
Right. And I know some people are advocating for going "all-in" on a rebuild. Which itself is fine, but as I mentioned you still need some decent, veteran players. If you just want to ice a lineup with 9 first or second years forwards and 4 first or second year defensemen then you run the risk of being the Oilers or the Islanders. Even if you want to do a rebuild you still need to have some guys who know what they're doing to help the younger guys along. You can't ice a rookie team.

And anyway, as I said from the start (back before the letter to fans), I expected the Rangers to make moves but still try to be competitive next season. Maybe not like competing for the Cup competitive, but "in every game" and "push for a WC spot" competitive.

Reactions: haveandare

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Right. And I know some people are advocating for going "all-in" on a rebuild. Which itself is fine, but as I mentioned you still need some decent, veteran players. If you just want to ice a lineup with 9 first or second years forwards and 4 first or second year defensemen then you run the risk of being the Oilers or the Islanders. Even if you want to do a rebuild you still need to have some guys who know what they're doing to help the younger guys along. You can't ice a rookie team.

And anyway, as I said from the start (back before the letter to fans), I expected the Rangers to make moves but still try to be competitive next season. Maybe not like competing for the Cup competitive, but "in every game" and "push for a WC spot" competitive.

I think we're pretty much all in, at least as much as we can be thus far.

We still need to be able to send a team onto the ice at some point and I've never been a fan of just throwing all the kids to wolves either.

There are a lot of guys who are going to get looks, be it top prospects or long-shots, at both the NHL and AHL level.

If you're a young player, there's a clear path for you to challenge for a spot on the team. If you're a guy in your mid-20s, there's a chance for you to earn your next contract and possibly play yourself into an important role.

Reactions: haveandare

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I like Spooner on the third line with favorable match ups.

On a Cup team that's where he's going to slot in best and still be good for 40+ points.

On a rebuilding team, he's a solid 2nd line winger that if he generates enough offence may can get a 1st round pick in a trade to continue to fuel the rebuild

I like him. But if we could snag another first for him, I have no issues making that trade either.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I like Spooner on the third line with favorable match ups.

On a Cup team that's where he's going to slot in best and still be good for 40+ points.

On a rebuilding team, he's a solid 2nd line winger that if he generates enough offence may can get a 1st round pick in a trade to continue to fuel the rebuild

I like him. But if we could snag another first for him, I have no issues making that trade either.

My guess is that he's probably worth a second right now.

I think that will more a less be his value, unless he falls of a cliff or somehow skyrockets.

Maybe you look for a trade similar to Grabner down the road, but so far I think I'd rather keep him.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
My guess is that he's probably worth a second right now.

I think that will more a less be his value, unless he falls of a cliff or somehow skyrockets.

Maybe you look for a trade similar to Grabner down the road, but so far I think I'd rather keep him.

Agreed. Right now it's tough to assess because, on it's face, the Rangers need all the NHL-ready bodies they can get. After the draft, the situation might be much different.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Yeah I wouldn't immediately flip him assuming they can sign him to a decent deal. You need some players, sign him and play him and when his contract is getting close to over, look to see what you can do with him to either help the team or improve your draft picks/prospect pool. I don't think he's a long term solution but I don't think it's wise to immediately flip everyone either.

Reactions: nyr2k2

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Let these guys audition. They have 19 games. Don't get some of the speculators' infatuation with flipping. This is not HGTV, not Flip or Flop. Some guys might just find this to be the right situation and thrive as a result. Not a fan of getting rid of known valuables to be perpetually looking at unknown future variables.

Reactions: nyr2k2 and Bluto

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS

Same for Namestnikov. These guys are still only 25/26, so you can keep them around for a few years and they'll be good middle-6 options.

Reactions: nyr2k2 and Bluto

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
He's been good. Keep him, see what you can get from him for the rest of this season and pencil him in as part of the team next year unless some offer you can't refuse comes along (and it probably won't for a player of Spooner's caliber). He's played about 14 minutes a game as an NHLer, could play more for the Rangers depending on how the roster shakes out next year. The return for Nash in the extreme short-term looks pretty good to me so I wouldn't want to make a hasty decision and send Spooner packing before we really know what we have in him. Rangers are going to be auditioning/incorporating a lot of players with very little to no NHL experience in the near future so they'll need to bring in some players with a bit of experience as well.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Does anyone think Gorton may have targeted Spooner as a longer term replacement for Zuccarello should he be moved? It seems like they play similar games

Nope , they wanted the 1 and D prospect

Bruins were screwed on the cap and were not resigning Spooner so nyr got lucky . He’s worth a look even at 4 million next year

Plus they took on Belesky who if they are lucky can be a 4th line / spare

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
this team needs guys like spooner who have the knack to get to spots and generate chances. he's talented and smart.

we have kreider very talented and kinda dumb
we had nash talented and not pro-dumb-ctive
we have mika talented and sometimes dumb
we had jt miller talented and mostly dumb

we need some not dumb players and too me, spooner is both productive and smart. fast same thing. i would throw vlady in there too along with zucc and buchy.
Huh?

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
You field the best team you can without damaging your future plans.

We've got 7 picks in the first three rounds next, 3 firsts. 2 first last year. 5 1st's in two years.

Unless I get something really good, I keep the rest of the core that's here including Zuccarello. He's not a guy that's going to hurt you and leads by example for the kids. Staal you can't move anyway. Hank wants to stay. Everyone else (aside from Shatts) is young enough to be part of the rebuild. I don't think Gorton is on a 3 year play for being competitive for the playoffs. I think he wants to be competitive enough next year. We'll see. No 35+ signings. No UFA's that are prohibitively expensive. Hopefully Smith re-builds his career. Hopefully Beleskey can find his game. Burying those two in the AHL for the sake of paltry cap relief doesn't help all that much. We'd be better off if they find their games and either play for us or become tradeable commodities. Pionk looks like a keeper. Gilmour is raw defensively but has potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad