Ryan Smyth video :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
I don't understand the problem.

At the start of the video we have the czech player all wild and he starts to come at the Canadian player looking for blood (he's the first guy to lose his cool) after that the Canadian players just say...'so you want to get all hot and bothered do you?" and they meet his agression with agression.what do you expect and what's dirty or abnormal about that? The video only shows the czech player intitiating the confrontation,do you mean it's dirty to meet agression with agression?.At least from what the video shows it appears the czech player is the aggressor of a violent conmfrontation,does he get a free pass by you and others here? If this type of play bothers you why do you not see what the czech player has done to start the fracas..............is he innocent because of nationality?.Certainly you cannot expect us to turn the other cheek when faced with an obvious show of desire on the part of their player to want to mix it up.

The czech player is clearly the guy who starts it (at least from what the video shows) as he comes at one of our players WITH A STICK!!!.................................don't you see that?

Hlinka may be all worked up because he is angry at the lack of disipline showed by his player in the beginning that has led to this whole ordeal and is embarrassed and wants to get back to the matter at hand............like finishing up winning the game.That's a definite possibility i'd say.

Can you get another video showing me what the Czech player was so wild about?.If not,it looks like your thesis here looks hypocritical at best and clear bias at worse.

See,this is what i'm talking about,this over focus on any and all Canadian roughness,even in the face of transgressions of the same type from european teams,even transgressions that may have started the Canadian players response.

If the czechs don't want to see this type of thing in hockey................why did that player go looking for it? And why blame us for it?

If i was a casual fan and only had this video as evidence my first question would be........'why did the Czech player want to start fighting in the game?"

That's my take on that video zine.
I find this amusing, coming from someone who constantly whines about Russians attacking Canadians in Piestany in 2-on-1 odds. Ever noticed how the Canadians in this video attack 2-on-1 and even 3-on-1? But I guess it's OK, eh? Get a grip.

When a player goes after another one, fight him for all I care, but fairly, one on one. Don't send three thugs after one player. :shakehead

espo*

I find this amusing, coming from someone who constantly whines about Russians attacking Canadians in Piestany in 2-on-1 odds. Ever noticed how the Canadians in this video attack 2-on-1 and even 3-on-1? But I guess it's OK, eh? Get a grip.

When a player goes after another one, fight him for all I care, but fairly, one on one. Don't send three thugs after one player. :shakehead

Get a grip? they don't do anything to the guy genius!!

do you see 3 guys pinning the guys arms back and kneeing him to the face like the Russian players in piestany there superman?...........no,i did'nt think so.

He posted the video to show Canadian goonery andf all he did was show a Czech player starting a fight by making a motion that he was gonna crown a guy with his stick,what the hell do you want me to say?

it's a natural reaction for team-mates to go over en masse to an opposing player who has made liike he is going to whack one of your team-mates with a stick,have you ever played hockey? I don't blame them and would be dissapointed if they had'nt.They quicky ask the czech players to dance 1 on 1 and their players show they either don't want to or Hlinka is holding them back.................is that our fault?But We did'nt go gang up on the guy and beat him to a bloody pulp just because the Czech player raised his stick and then when we confronted him about it none of his players would or were not allowed to back him up...........................you're full of **** if you say that.

If their players and your fans don't like that stuff in hockey why did your player in this video go looking for it? He makes an attempt to raise his stick like he's going to hit our player!! ...............................you don't see this or are you f'in blind?

If he shows me where the Canadian players started that fracas i'll reconsider my stand.

Yet more evidence of euro fans only seeing and crying about what they WANT to see.

Yeah.................get a grip allright!!

who are you trying to kid?

When you play hockey and some opposition player raises his stick like he's going to whack your team-mate you go over there immediately and confront the guy......."what's this? you think you're going to let my team-mate have it between the 2 eyes with a weapon you little maggot?,i don't think so"

If the czech player had of just dropped the frickin gloves they would have just let them go to settle their own business but when sticks get involved you can damn well be sure you've crossed a line and stuff is gonna get out of hand.Who raised the stick in a threatening manner? that's right........the Czech player.

if it was a Canadian player pulling that stuff i'd think nothing of the Czech team losing it and standing up for their guys,it's proper!! show that as a video demonstrating Czech brutality? lol,why would i do that? the Canadian player would have asked for it!! I'd accept the consequences since it was our brain dead move that started the whole thing.

Don't go and try to hide after pulling that **** gentlemen.

Last edited by a moderator:

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
Get a grip? they don't do anything to the guy genius!!

do you see 3 guys pinning the guys arms back and kneeing him to the face like the Russian players in piestany there superman?...........no,i did'nt think so.

He posted the video to show Canadian goonery andf all he did was show a Czech player starting a fight by making a motion that he was gonna crown a guy with his stick,what the hell do you want me to say?

it's a natural reaction for team-mates to go over en masse to an opposing player who has made liike he is going to whack one of your team-mates with a stick,have you ever played hockey? I don't blame them and would be dissapointed if they had'nt.They quicky ask the czech players to dance 1 on 1 and their players show they either don't want to or Hlinka is holding them back.................is that our fault?But We did'nt go gang up on the guy and beat him to a bloody pulp just because the Czech player raised his stick and then when we confronted him about it none of his players would or were not allowed to back him up...........................you're full of **** if you say that.
ORLY?

Let's watch the video, shall we?

At 0:09, the Czech player (#19? #79?) goes after #11 (or #17 or so) from Canada, probably looking to start a fight or something. That player cowardly skates away instead of accepting the challenge, and Blake and Primeau go after the Czech instead. So far allright.

At 0:14, Primeau knocks the Czech down. Fine.

At 0:15, Nolan(?) grabs his face from behind while he's down. Not fine at all.

At 0:22, Green and a Czech get into a tussle, but before they can start a real fight, Nolan jumps them and knocks them down. Hello? Third player sticking himself into fair fight? Riiiight... Nolan keeps going at the Czech while he's lying down, and against sticks his hand in his face. That's not 2-on-1, no sir! :shakehead

At 1:00 Recchi attempts to attack Czech player that's on the bench. Fair, eh?

At 1:08 Nolan is fighting a Czech when #42(?) from Canada joins in. 2 on 1, eh? Fair fight!

After that it just sort of peters out. Still, the commentator says there's 8 canadians fighting 4 czechs, which is, of course, FAIR!

If their players and your fans don't like that stuff in hockey why did your player in this video go looking for it? He makes an attempt to raise his stick like he's going to hit our player!! ...............................you don't see this or are you f'in blind?
What the hell does a Czech player have to do with me? Hell, I like Canada far more than Czechs (in hockey, at least).

Just for the record, I don't consider the Smyth incident particularily dirty - Fischer was stabbing him in the crotch first, afterall.

But to call a brawl full of dirty tactics fair... :shakehead

espo*

LOL.

Like i said,this is normal stuff when an opposition player makes like he's going to whack a guy with the stick.What's your issue? Where do 2 guys beat up on one Czech player? where is that?

Are you saying a brawl that first consisted of a Czech player raising his stick like he was going to whack our player an acceptable tactic on the Czech players part? is that acceptable hockey behaviour? Why is only one team accountable here?

you still have'nt explained how a video that clearly shows agression first in the form of a czech player constitutes Canadian thuggery.

Pick another video or something pal,because i'm not going to believe a player on the opposition making a threat with a stick first is any indication of anything to do with us. From what the video shows it's clear the czech player was the first guy to start losing it.

Get all of what happened on this video or get me another video that really shows Canadian players starting a goon show.And then get me tons of them that happen each year at that tournament.Show me this "it's a fact Canadians are typically goons" behaviour.

once you raise a stick like that you can't cry and complain and say...."stop,we did'nt mean it" or 'we don't want to fight you guys we were just upset and we let our emotions get the best of us and threatened one of your players"...........once you do that you've made your play and it's too late to take it back.That's hockey and you know it.

The czech player get's facewashed....you make it seem like 2 players of ours punch him in the head.Recchi? so what about him...........our players are'nt pansies,i already knew that. What's your point? I'm sure if Recchi made a point of going over to their bench to confront someone there was a reason for it,who knows.............maybe he was mouthing off? Recchi came over and confronted him,happens all the time in games. Big deal

you have'nt shown me anything yet.

guy comes at one of our players with a stick........................**** him.

2 on 1 fights? the first one he just goes in to haul the player off him and the second one is going down and he gives him a push........................oooooh!!! How long were they in intensive care for that?

Here's the bottom line for me.If European fans want to claim that Canadian players enage in thuggery and dirty play they should make sure their teams behaviour can actually back it up because i won't respect the whining without that.Basically,you have to be able to walk the walk before you talk the talk and i don't see any evidence of anyone doing that when Czech players are looking to swing their sticks or Swedish players are cross-checking guys in the face or Slovak players are spearing guys after scoring goals or Russian players are using their sticks to take pokes at you.I could go on and on of what i've witnessed over the years playing all these euro teams.

if Canadian players were the only ones to enage in all this stuff i'd back you and the rest of you up but they are'nt and i know they are'nt and so does everyone else if they are being honest.Geez,even on the video supposedly consisting of proof of this thesis what is the first thing i see?.............a Czech player first losing his cool and thinking of using that blade to carve a meal.

what amazes me is that i'm supposed to believe and accept all this.

It's amazing,it really is.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Gimme a break cyclops - quit trying to explain away the obvious.

It was the infamous Owen Nolan cheapshot game. Canada down late 5-3 and Nolan cheapshots Vujtek from behind...a shot to the head. Then the rest of the team goons it up.

In addition, you never refuted a point of mine. If Canadians (North Americans in general) aren't more susceptible to hockey violence and thuggery please explain why only 41 euros are currently in the top 200 NHL pim leaders. That % is much less than the % of europeans in the NHL. Likewise, Canadians make up 124 of the top 200 pim leaders......a larger % than % of Canadians in the NHL.

You can deny it all you want but there still IS a major difference between hockey cultures. I agree its not the '70s anymore and the line is bluring, but North Americans are STILL more likely to use physical intimidation and goonery as tactics.

espo*

Why?

you have'nt taken me up on explaining how you can pinpoint Canada for goonery when the other teams engage in it also.You have'nt even explained off the czech players behaviour in this video.

I can't help but wonder why you can't do that. Sure North american players play is rougher in hockey,we all know that.But more apt to use goon tactics and cheap shots and lose their cool? wheres the evidence?,you don't even have it in this video.

You just showed me a fight that a player from a european team got rollling.

What proof is that?

what do i have to explain to you any further?

I still don't understand what proof you've given me.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Why?

you have'nt taken me up on explaining how you can pinpoint Canada for goonery when the other teams engage in it also.You have'nt even explained off the czech players behaviour in this video.

I can't help but wonder why you can't do that. Sure North american players play is rougher in hockey,we all know that.But more apt to use goon tactics and cheap shots and lose their cool? wheres the evidence?,you don't even have it in this video.

You just showed me a fight that a player from a european team got rollling.

What proof is that?

what do i have to explain to you any further?

I still don't understand what proof you've given me.

Of course other teams engage in goonery and dirty tactics....but Canadians more so.

Again, why ignore the NHL pim leaders I brought up? In addition, how many european goons have there been in the NHL? Ivanins, Oliwa, Nazarov; that's all I can think of. That # absolutely pails in comparison to the # of Canadian thugs in the NHL over the last few years. Unlike in North America, europeans don't focus on developing goons. The 'goon' is by and large a Canadian phenomenon. That's all the proof you need right there.

BTW, if you need youtube video to prove that Canada didn't start that brawl, I highly doubt you've seen every recent WC (like you claim). It's on record Nolan started it with a cheap shot. But I guess I can't talk sense into you when your covering your ears and yelling what you only want to hear.:tmi:

Last edited:

espo*

Of course other teams engage in goonery and dirty tactics....but Canadians more so.

Again, why ignore the NHL pim leaders I brought up? In addition, how many european goons have there been in the NHL? Ivanins, Oliwa, Nazarov; that's all I can think of. That # absolutely pails in comparison to the # of Canadian thugs in the NHL over the last few years. Unlike in North America, europeans don't focus on developing goons. The 'goon' is by and large a Canadian phenomenon. That's all the proof you need right there.

BTW, if you need youtube video to prove that Canada didn't start that brawl, I highly doubt you've seen every recent WC (like you claim). It's on record Nolan started it with a cheap shot. But I guess I can't talk sense into you when your covering your ears and yelling what you only want to hear.:tmi:

First,yes i've seen all those world championships.............do you think i can remember every play from a tournament that happened 10 years ago? especially an instance that is so insignificant as this? that just goes to show you how what me and others say is true.......european fans tend to have a hard time letting go of any silly stuff like this.The "famous owen Nolan incident"? lol...........that's not famous over here,99.99% of Canadians would'nt even know what you are talking about.why would we think that was a big incident? I watched the damn tournament and i remember little of that now,especially since we went on to win it all that year.Why would i focus on something like that? It was a year of great victory.........i'm going to tattoo in my mind a scuffle in the Czech game in a tournament we won 10 years ago? Who do you think i am?

I bet the only reason it's remembered by fans over there is because none of their teams won that year,go figure!!! Like i've said before,pretty typical.An excuse for losing is always needed.

But It's a different story over there(at least if Canada is involved)............"it's on record Nolan started it" lol,my god.This little forgettable squabble is famous over there? What's the matter with you guys?

and where is nolans cheap shot?.............was he the guy who delivered a cheap shot to the czech player who it appears started this scene (thats what the video shows) show it to me!!! and what will i see when /if you show it to me? will i see nolan simply checking the guy with gusto and this pisses the czech player off and he loses it?...........because i'm just going to laugh once again if you think that shows goonery on our part.

PM leaders in the NHL? why and how can this be proof of Candians engaging in more thuggish tactics at international tournaments? Is the NHL the World Championships? We all know the NHL is a differnt league and a different game then international tournaments.We don't send goons to the worlds and you know it.

There i've answered your question zine.

now,you still have'nt answered mine yet..........how is a video that shows a Czech player instigating a squabble between the Czech and Canadian team proof of Canadian thuggery at the worlds?

I'm still waiting.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
Who do you think i am?
A hypocrite? ;)

Since...
This little forgettable squabble is famous over there? What's the matter with you guys?
Ye the squabble at an irrelevant tournament in Piestany is famous for you, and so is e.g. the Hunter-Turgeon incident. Heck, people get worked up over things like Tootoo punching Robidas, yet Nolan attempting to rip a player's head off from behind is "forgettable" for you. :biglaugh:

espo*

A hypocrite? ;)

Since...

Ye the squabble at an irrelevant tournament in Piestany is famous for you, and so is e.g. the Hunter-Turgeon incident. Heck, people get worked up over things like Tootoo punching Robidas, yet Nolan attempting to rip a player's head off from behind is "forgettable" for you. :biglaugh:

Hypocrite? i guess there must be a lot of that going around then.

In ten years i'll have a hard time remembering even the particulars of the Tootoo incident. Robidas who?

How can anyone forget piestany? that is actually something big that went down........not some minor altercation like what is shown in that stupid video from 1997. You're not comparing piestany to that little scrum are you?................................ wow,you're really reaching here euro fans.

Nolan ripping his head off,lol.....................are you serious or are fans from there that soft?

Give me a break pal.........that little tiff over ten years ago in a tournament we won? don't ask me to name dates and places from that *********.

Get a grip indeed.

I sure do remember all about the winning though!! :handclap:

and of course that's all that matters.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
First,yes i've seen all those world championships.............do you think i can remember every play from a tournament that happened 10 years ago? especially an instance that is so insignificant as this? that just goes to show you how what me and others say is true.......european fans tend to have a hard time letting go of any silly stuff like this.The "famous owen Nolan incident"? lol...........that's not famous over here,99.99% of Canadians would'nt even know what you are talking about.why would we think that was a big incident? I watched the damn tournament and i remember little of that now,especially since we went on to win it all that year.Why would i focus on something like that? It was a year of great victory.........i'm going to tattoo in my mind a scuffle in the Czech game in a tournament we won 10 years ago? Who do you think i am?

I bet the only reason it's remembered by fans over there is because none of their teams won that year,go figure!!! Like i've said before,pretty typical.An excuse for losing is always needed.

But It's a different story over there(at least if Canada is involved)............"it's on record Nolan started it" lol,my god.This little forgettable squabble is famous over there? What's the matter with you guys?

and where is nolans cheap shot?.............was he the guy who delivered a cheap shot to the czech player who it appears started this scene (thats what the video shows) show it to me!!! and what will i see when /if you show it to me? will i see nolan simply checking the guy with gusto and this pisses the czech player off and he loses it?...........because i'm just going to laugh once again if you think that shows goonery on our part.

PM leaders in the NHL? why and how can this be proof of Candians engaging in more thuggish tactics at international tournaments? Is the NHL the World Championships? We all know the NHL is a differnt league and a different game then international tournaments.We don't send goons to the worlds and you know it.

There i've answered your question zine.

now,you still have'nt answered mine yet..........how is a video that shows a Czech player instigating a squabble between the Czech and Canadian team proof of Canadian thuggery at the worlds?

I'm still waiting.

C’mon cyclops, you’re an intelligent poster….don’t resort to juvenile ‘if I didn’t see it, it didn’t happen’ arguments. I can just as well state that Canada started the Piestany brawl because there’s no film of the Soviets going over the boards first. I know you’re starting to grasp at straws, but don’t act like a 4 year old. Nolan started the melee – that’s a fact.

And like MadArcand said, it’s pretty hypocritical of you to blame Euro fans for not letting anything go while you YOURSELF talk about Piestany 24/7, have an inflammatory avatar, and appear in every thread that remotely says anything bad about Canada……even to the extent of getting warned my the mods. Looks like you’re the one who can’t let anything go.:teach:

And I’ll state it again, whether or not it manifests itself in international play or not, Canadians are more prone to hockey violence. That’s a FACT. It’s part of your hockey culture and history, and still is evident today. Canadians produce far more goons than any other country, have more PIMs, and far more lower level ‘goon’ leagues…..you can’t argue with the evidence. I know you have a hard time admitting it, but a fact is a fact.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
How can anyone forget piestany? that is actually something big that went down........not some minor altercation like what is shown in that stupid video from 1997. You're not comparing piestany to that little scrum are you?................................ wow,you're really reaching here euro fans.
Piestany = same kind of crap, just on larger scale (i.e., more participants), but on an irrelevant tourney that most people didn't even register was happening.

Nolan ripping his head off,lol.....................are you serious or are fans from there that soft?
Soft? So what are NA fans then when they still whine about things like Hunter vs. Turgeon (basically a friggin' PUSH) many year later? Uber-soft?

I'm not saying Canada is the most goonish team out there (it isn't. Nowhere near close, actually). But it's ridiculous that you refuse to acknowledge even those instances where they actually DO goon it up.:shakehead

espo*

C’mon cyclops, you’re an intelligent poster….don’t resort to juvenile ‘if I didn’t see it, it didn’t happen’ arguments. I can just as well state that Canada started the Piestany brawl because there’s no film of the Soviets going over the boards first. I know you’re starting to grasp at straws, but don’t act like a 4 year old. Nolan started the melee – that’s a fact.

And like MadArcand said, it’s pretty hypocritical of you to blame Euro fans for not letting anything go while you YOURSELF talk about Piestany 24/7, have an inflammatory avatar, and appear in every thread that remotely says anything bad about Canada……even to the extent of getting warned my the mods. Looks like you’re the one who can’t let anything go.:teach:

And I’ll state it again, whether or not it manifests itself in international play or not, Canadians are more prone to hockey violence. That’s a FACT. It’s part of your hockey culture and history, and still is evident today. Canadians produce far more goons than any other country, have more PIMs, and far more lower level ‘goon’ leagues…..you can’t argue with the evidence. I know you have a hard time admitting it, but a fact is a fact.

Ok zine..........but i did'nt see it.You brought up this video to show me how our inclination for violent play manifests itself into goon play at the international level and what i got was a video that only shows a Czech player making the first violent intent and then the melle that ensues.i asked you to provide me with what that player did to the czech guy and i still have'nt seen it.when it comes to stuff like this i don't think you can just expect me to "TAKE MY WORD ON IT" you surely can't expect that from me ,especially when it's euroepan fans telling me to just "take my word for it" i think i have ample reason for not accepting whatever comes from a european fans mouth as gospel if you know what i mean?

I will agree we are more prone to hockey violence due to differences in hockey culture yes................that's no secret and i know that is true.But has this manifested itself in any more overt goonery at international championships then other countries in the last 15-20 years..............that is what i am contesting and that video you gave me does'nt prove otherwise at all. Canada likes to win these tournaments these days and we long ago figured out it's not possible if we are just going to spend all game long in the penalty box.Hence,we have been quite disiplined at this event for years now................we don't goon it up over there anymore and i think anyone who is honest knows that.We really don't enage in any more illegal tactics then anyone else and IMO sometimes less(i've witnessed that at last years tournament for example) It changes from year to year now on who engages in more stickwork and the like mostly depending on the personalities each team has on their roster.

Do we still engage in physical play more them most of the European teams at this event........sure,but that's the way we play and most of it is just legal physical play.It's not our fault all of that is looked uopn by many fans over there as not pretty and illegal.The fact is is that most of it is legal and it's a HOCKEY CULTURAL TENDENCY of the european fans fault to see it as illegal and that's not our problem or fault.

Is my position clear? I think it is.

espo*

Piestany = same kind of crap, just on larger scale (i.e., more participants), but on an irrelevant tourney that most people didn't even register was happening.

Soft? So what are NA fans then when they still whine about things like Hunter vs. Turgeon (basically a friggin' PUSH) many year later? Uber-soft?

I'm not saying Canada is the most goonish team out there (it isn't. Nowhere near close, actually). But it's ridiculous that you refuse to acknowledge even those instances where they actually DO goon it up.:shakehead

Same kind of crap? Piestany and that nothingness?

Piestany was an all out brawl with everyone going at it like it was a heavyweight title fight and where they actually had to resort to turning the damn lights off in hopes of sanity returning and you're saying this video was the same thing only on a smaller scale?

Ok......now i know you're just blowing smoke.

you keep bringing up Pierre Turgeon.......................geez even that is ten times worse then anything that happened in that cheesy video. I can see Islanedr fans remembering that with venom.........but this teeny altercation in 97?

what happens in that video?........................f-all!! who is knocked out of any games or a tournament because of what happened there?.A few face washes and pushing and shoving and non-fights with nothing but a lot of mouthing off.

Cmon man!!

Pica

Jan 4, 2006
Hey theres a video (1st one posted) that brings back funny memories. I remeber laughing as I saw this.

Ryan and team CAN didnt get anything past Vokoun in final. As teams captain he tried his best to get CAN going late in 3rd period with his funny yet ineffective stickwork.

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK
I sleep all night and I work all day." :biglaugh:

espo*

It;'s funny,the guys that demand you admit to some silly little negative and erroneous prejudice about Canadian hockey are nowwhere to be found after you give their points some credence when gladly admitting that Canadian hockey is rougher and more physical.

You ask them to come clean that it isn't any more dirty then any other teams at this tournament for years now and that their players are involved in schenanigans like anyone else and they are as silent as lambs with no honour to admit some things about their teams.

Once they get what they think is some sort of "admission" of Canadian guilt (which it most certainly isn't at all) they take off and can't bear to admit some things or explain some things about their teams.They just take off and appear self satisfied that Canada has been "outed" or something. Canada has'nt been outed by acknowledging they play a more physical game.

Typical fan behaviour from there in general. Soft attitude,hard headed,a certain degree of arrogance,hateful towards non European players and teams.

Wayne was right in 2002!!!

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I will agree we are more prone to hockey violence due to differences in hockey culture yes................that's no secret and i know that is true.

Thank you for finally admitting it......now that wasn't that hard, was it?

Canadian hockey = more susceptible to playing goon hockey.:teach:

But has this manifested itself in any more overt goonery at international championships then other countries in the last 15-20 years..............that is what i am contesting and that video you gave me does'nt prove otherwise at all. Canada likes to win these tournaments these days and we long ago figured out it's not possible if we are just going to spend all game long in the penalty box.Hence,we have been quite disiplined at this event for years now................we don't goon it up over there anymore and i think anyone who is honest knows that.We really don't enage in any more illegal tactics then anyone else and IMO sometimes less(i've witnessed that at last years tournament for example) It changes from year to year now on who engages in more stickwork and the like mostly depending on the personalities each team has on their roster.

Here we have some common ground. I do agree that Canada has cleaned up its act in the last 15 years or so - probably due to european influence. You realized you can no longer win using bullying tactics and must rely more on skill. However, that doesn't nullify the fact that Canadians are more succeptable to using violence when the right time arises. That's simply your hockey culture.

Piesteny is a good example. The Soviets started it no doubt......but only Canada would have reacted in the manner they did. You guys would rather get involved in a brawl than win a medal. Any other team would have shown discipline and restraint and walked away from that with a medal around their necks....but not Canada. It's a black mark for both countries, yet the Don Cherry brickhead mentality persists that what Canada did was somehow honorable.

Last edited:

espo*

Reasoned post but of course the part about not reacting being the correct course of action is false...............you can't just let your team-mates get the snot pounded out of them outnumbered on the ice by a team that's jumped the bench with their players,no Gold or medal is worth that.

How could you look at yourself in the mirror?

The soviets should have just let us play for the right for the medal and not have turned it into a brawl,isn't that what hockey is supposed to be about................playing the game? If they had not have instigated it,the game would have played out as it's supposed to.

Our reaction to the situation is celebrated here.................and rightly so.

But regardless,it was a long time ago and it's over now. Time to move on,like at the worlds this year that are just around the corner for viewing entertainment.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Reasoned post but of course the part about not reacting being the correct course of action is false...............you can't just let your team-mates get the snot pounded out of them outnumbered on the ice by a team that's jumped the bench with their players,no Gold or medal is worth that.

How could you look at yourself in the mirror?

The soviets should have just let us play for the right for the medal and not have turned it into a brawl,isn't that what hockey is supposed to be about................playing the game? If they had not have instigated it,the game would have played out as it's supposed to.

Our reaction to the situation is celebrated here.................and rightly so.

But regardless,it was a long time ago and it's over now. Time to move on,like at the worlds this year that are just around the corner for viewing entertainment.

cyclops, the ultimate goal is to win the gold and not finish a brawl. There was nothing stopping Fleury and co. from not engaging and making a b-line for the bench.....the smart thing to do when a medal is on the line.

Yet, Canada's actions and the subsequent approval of their actions in your country is proof of my point. It's more honorable to 'finish' a fight than to win a medal. This is the difference in hockey cultures and exactly what I mean when I say the Canadian hockey mentality is more susceptible to accepting goon hockey and goon hockey tactics. In justifying their actions, YOU are proof of my point.

Anyway, good discussion....I think we both said what we need to say.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Thank you for finally admitting it......now that wasn't that hard, was it?

Canadian hockey = more susceptible to playing goon hockey.:teach:

Here we have some common ground. I do agree that Canada has cleaned up its act in the last 15 years or so - probably due to european influence. You realized you can no longer win using bullying tactics and must rely more on skill. However, that doesn't nullify the fact that Canadians are more succeptable to using violence when the right time arises. That's simply your hockey culture.

Piesteny is a good example. The Soviets started it no doubt......but only Canada would have reacted in the manner they did. You guys would rather get involved in a brawl than win a medal. Any other team would have shown discipline and restraint and walked away from that with a medal around their necks....but not Canada. It's a black mark for both countries, yet the Don Cherry brickhead mentality persists that what Canada did was somehow honorable.
I'm a biased Canadian but I totally agree with you on this.

espo*

cyclops, the ultimate goal is to win the gold and not finish a brawl. There was nothing stopping Fleury and co. from not engaging and making a b-line for the bench.....the smart thing to do when a medal is on the line.

Yet, Canada's actions and the subsequent approval of their actions in your country is proof of my point. It's more honorable to 'finish' a fight than to win a medal. This is the difference in hockey cultures and exactly what I mean when I say the Canadian hockey mentality is more susceptible to accepting goon hockey and goon hockey tactics. In justifying their actions, YOU are proof of my point.

Anyway, good discussion....I think we both said what we need to say.

Yeah,good discussion. I still disagree about what we "should have" done in that scenario but that's life.

taunting canadian

Jan 3, 2005
Fischer didn't do anything to warrant that, thoose who say that he got his stick in Smyth nuts are blind...

Please. If you're going to call people blind, at least watch the thing for yourself:

Notice that Fischer's white stick disappears between Smyth's legs, and the blade is visible on the other side. Maybe Swedes keep their nuts in different places, but on Canadians that's where they are. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad