Ryan Smyth video :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shimy1221*

can someone please explain to me what smyth was doing ????

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
In pretty much every tournament you see the canadian teams have a couple of guys who do similar things, making the defense lose focus (especially when on pp) to then go and hook the goalie so that they can score an easy goal.

Team Ukraine iced a team consisting only of this kind of lumberjacks, that year, finnish paper industry company Metso sent the ukrainian team a bunch of gold medals saying "World Champions of Lumberjacking"

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I don't know if any European's ever bother to notice this; but the defenceman has his stick right in smyth's nuts for almost the entire clip. If you saw the entire thing live and paid careful attention to the blade of the d-mans stick, you would wonder why smyth wasn't smacking him in the face instead of the ankles.

Nikle

Jan 29, 2007
Canada eh
That's the fun part, you only see what Smyth is doing here, yet I'd guess if you get game tape you could see the defense/goalies taking just as many liberties with him throughout the game. A vast majority of guys playing at that level know all the little tricks to mess other guys up, Smyth is obviously getting a little off his rocker at this point not really caring who see's it, which leads me to believe he's sick and tired of whatever was being done to him (he's usually a lot less obvious about those things).

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yah I've seen that before, it seemed so weird, because I've never seen smyth go after someone like that, I wonder what fischer did too piss him off so badly, Smyth sure looked like a Pejorative Slur in that clip, but it would be nice to see the whole situation. Fischer must have done something also, because he was basically just taking it. Weird!

Lon3 Wulf

Feb 14, 2007
Yah I've seen that before, it seemed so weird, because I've never seen smyth go after someone like that, I wonder what fischer did too piss him off so badly, Smyth sure looked like a Pejorative Slur in that clip, but it would be nice to see the whole situation. Fischer must have done something also, because he was basically just taking it. Weird!

Look where Fischers stick is during the entire clip.

pox

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton
I don't know if any European's ever bother to notice this; but the defenceman has his stick right in smyth's nuts for almost the entire clip. If you saw the entire thing live and paid careful attention to the blade of the d-mans stick, you would wonder why smyth wasn't smacking him in the face instead of the ankles.

Bingo

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
I remember being embarassed for Smyth because he was doing such a poor job of it. Not that I think Fischer deserved to be injured...but the whole episode was kind of sad. I mean, hit him like a man would Smitty!

tricksta189*

Ya you could tell fischer deserved an ass beating but Smyth looked damn funny doing that

Towelie*

I was embarrased that Smyth was representing me as a Canadian. He usually doesn't act like an idiot like this.

espo*

In pretty much every tournament you see the canadian teams have a couple of guys who do similar things, making the defense lose focus (especially when on pp) to then go and hook the goalie so that they can score an easy goal.

Team Ukraine iced a team consisting only of this kind of lumberjacks, that year, finnish paper industry company Metso sent the ukrainian team a bunch of gold medals saying "World Champions of Lumberjacking"

As opposed to the usual Swedish tactics of having guys *cough,hannula,cough* crosscheck players in the head because they're sookie a goal has been scored against them?.

of course,our fans won't continue the baby stuff and complain about that 5 years later like fans from other places.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
As opposed to the usual Swedish tactics of having guys *cough,hannula,cough* crosscheck players in the head because they're sookie a goal has been scored against them?.

of course,our fans won't continue the baby stuff and complain about that 5 years later like fans from other places.
The hit by Gary Suter on Gretzky over 15 years ago is still quite brought up on HF.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Those swedes usually are too chicken to do even that :) The most common treat for them is diving, I've heard that national team coaches call it "very sportsmanlike" to help their team get a PP.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I don't think anyone here gets whats gooing on in that vid.

Fischer didn't do anything to warrant that, thoose who say that he got his stick in Smyth nuts are blind...

I don't think Smyth are dooing something good there. But I do think its proof of how much he hates loosing. Its not stunt either, he is so focused on winning that he goes "caveman" when it aren't working.

Some might say that its childish or embarassing, but if you really hate loosing, and gives everything like Smyth did in that game, things like that can happend once in a while.

If Smyth did that 5 minutes into a regular season game, Fischer would probably crosscheck him in the face. Now he does almost nothing, that alone is proof of him understanding whats gooing on and kind of respecting it.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Also, everytime there is a nationalteam tournament this place goes overboard.

I love how so many trys to blame what Smyth does on Fischer.

Canada will try anything and everything to win. Thats what makes you guys so good. Thats why Canadian attitude always are described as something positive here in Europe, while the same thing can't always be said about "Russian-attitude" or "czech-attitude" or "Swede-attitude", which very seldom is used as something positive.

Though if anyone ever points something out like "oh that was dirty by Canada", 200-300 posters will show up and say that it wasn't dirty and stuff like that.

Playing like that is what makes Canada successful, be pride of it and stand up for it, trying to deny it is just so childish...

Last edited:

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Also, everytime there is a nationalteam tournament this place goes overboard.

I love how so many trys to blame what Smyth does on Fischer.

Canada will try anything and everything to win. Thats what makes you guys so good. Thats why Canadian attitude always are described as something positive here in Europe, while the same thing can't always be said about "Russian-attitude" or "czech-attitude" or "Swede-attitude", which very seldom is used as something positive.

Though if anyone ever points something out like "oh that was dirty by Canada", 200-300 posters will show up and say that it wasn't dirty and stuff like that.

Playing like that is what makes Canada successful, be pride of it and stand up for it, trying to deny it is just so childish...
Canadian attitude is considered a bad trait in here and in the Czech Republic, cause commonly here it means to play dirty and try to injure people (I dont think that but its common here).

espo*

The hit by Gary Suter on Gretzky over 15 years ago is still quite brought up on HF.

But hannula in that 2nd rate tournament isn't.

until yesterday,but what can a guy do? You have to refresh peoples memories when they're so short.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
But hannula in that 2nd rate tournament isn't.

until yesterday,but what can a guy do? You have to refresh peoples memories when they're so short.

Yeah, and Ruutus hit on Jagr. But its also a numbers thing.

I don't know if you saw the game between NYR and Philly last night. Philly tryed to target Jagr all night. Fedoruk landed a huge hit on Jagr when he didn't even have the puck. Derian Hatcher left Prucha (who scored a goal on the play) all alone infront of the net just to hit Jagr. On the night they had atleast 5-6 attempts that defenitly can be described as attempts to injure. At the end Ryan Hollweg jumped Pitkänen, giving him the same threatment Philly had been giving the stars of the NYR all night.

What team would you describe as "dirty" in that game?

Especially if you go back a few years, Canada played like Philly did in that game all the time. Knee to knee hits, crosschecks to the face, slashes to the face, hits from behind, they dived allot, and stuff like that. So in all honesty and with all due respect, I find it pretty childish by all the 100's of Canada fans who comes here and takes offense when someone points out a dirty play or dive by Canadian players. Its defenitly a result from extreme homers like McGuire always defending Canada on TSN, though youd wish people could think by themselfs.

If a Swede complains about Canadian beein dirty or just physical, call him/her a chicken sweden and explain how hockey is a physical game, instead of bringing up one dirty hit made by a swede the last 30 years in international hockey. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad