Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGuires Corndog

Marc Bergevin juju exorcist
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
It's so easy to talk about Schenn now. The guy was an average player before being traded to the Blues. At no time did he look to be a potential #1 centerman. He is surrounded by a great group of players, and coached very well.

You aren’t wrong, but that works both ways.

Poehling is off to a blazing start and is looking like the real deal, but there was questions marks about him (like any other late first rounder), but most late first rounders don’t pan out...

In hindsight I’m glad we didn’t trade the pick, but that doesn’t mean we couldn’t or shouldn’t have been in on Schenn.

If you pull off the exact trade in 2013 it’s McCarron+Scherbak for Schenn (or we’ll say a player of his ilk), that’s a trade with hindsight you’d do every time because the players drafted never met expectations (as late firsts often do)..

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Who are R Poehling's typical line mates? Also, I know the Habs were scouting Schuldt... Should we sign him? Wonder what Ryan is saying about him if the Habs ask.

StEkvZn.jpg

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Who are R Poehling's typical line mates? Also, I know the Habs were scouting Schuldt... Should we sign him? Wonder what Ryan is saying about him if the Habs ask.

StEkvZn.jpg

Poehling usually plays with Robby Jackson (also at the Habs development camp and 2nd on the team in scoring) but the other winger they have changed up several times. Eyssimont was there, last years leading scorer, Easton Brodzinski has been moved up to his line lately.

As for Schuldt, I think they would be in on him if he opts to turn pro (he's a Junior but turns 23 in May) He's got a big shot and is physical but I don't know how much NHL upside he has. Could be a good AHLer though at worst. That said I wouldn't mind if he went back to SCSU next year with Poehling and then joined him in Laval at the end of the season. I would continue to keep an eye on Jackson, he's undersized but has a good shot.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
Does he really have 2 brothers that play on his team? cool!

Draft Nick and Jack and make a line out of them!

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Apparently Poehling is centering a line between Patrick Harper and Max Jones.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Does he really have 2 brothers that play on his team? cool!

Draft Nick and Jack and make a line out of them!

Poehling graduated from High School early so he could go play with them last year in the NCAA. I believe he was they youngest player or one of the youngest in the league last year. Its a good story and the kid is disciplined and knows how to set goals and go after them. He's going to be a very key part of our team for years to come IMO. He's got that package of Size/Skill/Skating/Grit that you look for.

Reactions: cphabs and Vern

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Poehling graduated from High School early so he could go play with them last year in the NCAA. I believe he was they youngest player or one of the youngest in the league last year. Its a good story and the kid is disciplined and knows how to set goals and go after them. He's going to be a very key part of our team for years to come IMO. He's got that package of Size/Skill/Skating/Grit that you look for.

I'll be the first to call it! Poehling will be "tried"as a winger when he gets to the AHL or NHL. LMAO

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I doubt he'll ever be as effective or as much a leader but he seems to play the game like Johnny Toews.

We'll see about that. Jonathan Toews stood out in a big way before and after the draft imo. Thought he had the best combination of IQ and hands of his draft class and had him 1st OA. I'm looking forward to seeing Poehling at the U20 but I'm not expecting much at his age.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I doubt he'll ever be as effective or as much a leader but he seems to play the game like Johnny Toews.

Toews has an insane set of mitts.

From what I've seen (not much), the first guy I think of with Poehling is ROR...

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
From what ive seen I see a lot of zach parise in his game . Full effort, surprisingly good vision and not affraid to go for grinders goals.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
So far he's been compared to:

- Jordan Staal (Craig Button)
- Miko Koivu (his coach at St. Cloud)
- Ryan O'Reilly (Poehling himself)

Then some fans think he has similarities to:

- Zach Parise
- Ryan Getzlaf
- Jonathan Toews

I hope Ryan won't have an identity crisis.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
He's going to be a big, fast, high IQ, high compete, playmaking, 2-way centerman. I don't think he'll be a guy who scores 20+ goals a year, but I do think he'll be a guy who (if playing with linemates who can finish) can put up 40+ assists a year. He's also going to be a guy who can matchup physically with Matthews and Eichel. He's going to be a really good player, and he's a TRUE centerman.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He's going to be a big, fast, high IQ, high compete, playmaking, 2-way centerman. I don't think he'll be a guy who scores 20+ goals a year, but I do think he'll be a guy who (if playing with linemates who can finish) can put up 40+ assists a year. He's also going to be a guy who can matchup physically with Matthews and Eichel. He's going to be a really good player, and he's a TRUE centerman.

yeah this is what I'm hoping thinking. It would be nice if he could get his shot going so he could add another tool in the tool box. I don't know if I'd say he's an underrated passer but I'm really surprised at how good he is at it. Some are really impressive. Pretty high end imo. There's gonna be a lot of pressure on this kid but he could be a huge plus for us sooner than later.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

Some Christmas time viewing for those who haven't had the chance to see him play in the NCAA. He's gotten really explosive, a lot more than he was at the same time last year. (He's #11 )

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
So far he's been compared to:

- Jordan Staal (Craig Button)
- Miko Koivu (his coach at St. Cloud)
- Ryan O'Reilly (Poehling himself)

Then some fans think he has similarities to:

- Zach Parise
- Ryan Getzlaf
- Jonathan Toews

I hope Ryan won't have an identity crisis.

Given this, would you trade Poehling, a top 10 protected 1st, and Pacioretty for Draisaitl? Draisaitl didn't impress me much when we played the oilers.

McGuires Corndog

Marc Bergevin juju exorcist
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Given this, would you trade Poehling, a top 10 protected 1st, and Pacioretty for Draisaitl? Draisaitl didn't impress me much when we played the oilers.

I probably wouldn’t, it’s a heavy price to pay for a player that isn’t cemented as a Center yet in the NHL.

It’s pretty easy to produce if you’re either on McDavid’s wing or centering a line that isn’t getting top match ups because the other line has McDavid..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->