Ryan Parent

Status
Not open for further replies.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Freaky Habs Fan said:
Is he on of the three best defenceman available for the next draft?

Some might say he is third behind Johnson and Staal. I would say Bourdon is ahead of him but no worse than 4th.

Rather Gingerly 1*

I wonder if X-Sharkie has done a scouting report on Parent yet?

Guig

Jun 17, 2003
Qc
borro said:
Some might say he is third behind Johnson and Staal. I would say Bourdon is ahead of him but no worse than 4th.

I totally agree. Bourdon is number 2-3 in my book.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Ryan Parent has a package that will impress some scouts, and he will for sure be one of the first three defensemen picked. The Adam Foote comparision is right on - he plays a nasty game with a physical edge and isn't affraid to take a check to make a play. He has some great wheels too, but won't be a powerplay quaterback in the NHL.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
markov` said:
Ryan Parent has a package that will impress some scouts, and he will for sure be one of the first three defensemen picked. The Adam Foote comparision is right on - he plays a nasty game with a physical edge and isn't affraid to take a check to make a play. He has some great wheels too, but won't be a powerplay quaterback in the NHL.

Having never seen Parent I question the Foote comparison, although I hear it alot from people who know much more than me. Mostley because I don't believe Ryan Parent has single regular season fighting major thus far in his entire OHL career.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
rt said:
Having never seen Parent I question the Foote comparison, although I hear it alot from people who know much more than me. Mostley because I don't believe Ryan Parent has single regular season fighting major thus far in his entire OHL career.

Even if Parent never fighted, he still can play a Adam Foote kind of game...

turnbuckle*

I don't know if you caught the interview with Mike Keenan earlier today when he identified Ryan Parent as a player he really likes, but that assertion corroborates what a scout told me recently - that Florida is seriously considering taking Parent, even if that pick is as high as 3rd overall.

This may come as a shock to some, but after Pouliot, Ryan, Crosby and Brule, there is a wide divergence of opinion on the remainder of the forwards among many NHL scouts. All have question marks in their games whether it be skating issues (Latendresse, O'Marra), discipline (Bourret), consistency (Zagrapan, Bertram, Kopitar), or whatever.

Thus, I would not be shocked to see four defencemen go in the top 12 picks, perhaps even the top ten. Those four are Staal, Johnson, Bourdon and Parent.

As the above-mentioned scout said to me regarding Staal not being ranked in Kyle Woodlief's top 10. "He's only going to play on your blueline for 14 years, never make an all-star team, but never make a mistake, either. How do you not take him with a top 10 pick, especially in this draft?"

Clash*

Jan 18, 2003
From a few quick reports I've read on the kid, Parent seems to be the type of defenseman I've been screamin the Panthers need before they address any other position. They have plenty of big bodies to occupy a spot on the backline, but none that can open up space to see those 35+ shots a game comming at him consistently. If Parent is as nasty as some say, then good for them for finally gettin a player that might let Bouwmeester open up offensively and possibly draw out a complete Pronger-esque type game from Bouw.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Wonder Boy said:
Yes.

IMO he is tops in the CHL. Staal & Kindl are overrated. Lashoff is good, but he's not the complete player Parent is.

Lashoff...late 1st

Kindl around 20th id say

Johnson, Parent and Bourdon will be the top 3 taken..after those 3 then Staal.

My opinion of course.

X-SHARKIE

Rather Gingerly 1 said:
I wonder if X-Sharkie has done a scouting report on Parent yet?

I'm not Parents biggest fan. I like Bourdon more as well as Staal.

1. Johnson 2. Staal 3. Bourdon 4. Kindl 5. Parent

I love Parents defensive work, his positioning is exceptional and he finishes his man and neutralizes him. I love his skating, excellent agility along with acceleration and top end speed is good. His outlet decisions are fine, and he moves the puck out of his zone well and can rush the puck up the ice with his skating. He hasn't shown me he can run a PP though. His offensive upside is limited compared to that of Kindl and Bourdon.

He has Scott Hannan upside, so he's intriguing and I have him going around 15-20 but I just think Kindl is worth taking a chance on, and Staal is a stud, Bourdon is just a rock with offensive upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->