Ryan Parent vs Jack Johnson

Roger's Pancreas*

True and true but he was not the main reason why he won.
Parent wasn't the main reason, but he was a signicant contributor in each tournament. He and Staal worked together perfectly to erase the other team's top lines. Without them, the other four defenseman get walked all over by the other team's top lines.
There were 5 others at least that contributed as much or more game wise.
Sounds like something a stat monkey would say.
Jeffrey said:
parent reminds me brett hedican.
He's closer to a faster Jason Smith, or Adam Foote.
Jack Johnson is imo like a nastier stevens ... he just play dirty all the time and will make you pay if you dont seen him coming!
Johnson isn't anywhere near the kind of defenseman Stevens is. Scott Stevens was a defensive stalwart who knew how to put the puck in the net. Johnson hasn't even proven that he knows what defense is.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
am i missing something? isn't that....nevermind.

It's amazing how much weight people put into playing on a good team, I guess Rosie would say if Jack Johnson were born in Prince Albert and Ryan Parent were born in Ann Arbor, that the US would have beaten Canada in the WJC's.

It's funny because I remember 10-12 years ago how everyone said Steve Yzerman was all stats and he could never win the big game, anyone remember the Yzerman for Yashin rumors way back when?

Well guess what, Detroit added a Stanley Cup goalie in Vernon, guys like Fedorov, Lidstrom and Konstantinov got into their primes and they aquired a 50 goal scorer in Shanahan, and boom, there you have it, a Cup champion.

Playing on a good or bad team should not be used in evaluating individual players.

I guess Marc-Andre Cliche is better than Pat Kane or Peter Mueller because he won a WJC Gold?

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Johnson isn't anywhere near the kind of defenseman Stevens is. Scott Stevens was a defensive stalwart who knew how to put the puck in the net. Johnson hasn't even proven that he knows what defense is.

Stevens was an offensive defenseman 20 years ago, was he not?

espo*

I like parent and he should turn into a good nhl d-man but unless you are 100% positive that the few negatives in Johnson's game are always going to hamper him there is just no way you would consider taking parent over him at this stage.Johnson simply has more potential.

He's too good to pass up for almost any defensive prospect there is out there let alone Parent.

CapsWolverinesUSA

Jan 3, 2007
Just to be clear, Jack Johnson is definitely the most skilled defensive defensemen on Michigan and their #1 go-to guy in spots where they need to hold 1 goal leads or kill key penalties. And Michigan's roster of blue liners includes 2 other first round draft picks, and a senior captain who is a Bruins draft pick.

I would agree Parent is the more defensively responsible player, but Jack Johnson is very good defensively. And the offensive comparison isn't close. And I think someone said Parent was a much better skater. That is silly. Jack is an incredible skater. And an incredible skater with the puck. I feel no need to declare who is better in that attribute, but whoever is, the gap is quite small. Both are plus skaters.

Johnson is one of the 3 best defensive prospects of all teams. Some people rank Parent as only the #3 defensive prospect in the Nashville organization, behind both Klien and Franson.

Oh, and btw, to that guy who said he'd rather have JJ right now than Phaneuf....whoa, dude. I'm a BIG JJ fan, but that's just crazy. Phaneuf is an excellent walking, talking example of Jack Johnson's upside. But there's no guarantee he'll completely maximize his potential. Phaneuf is a stud who already has shown that he is maximizing his potential in the NHL.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I would agree Parent is the more defensively responsible player, but Jack Johnson is very good defensively. And the offensive comparison isn't close. And I think someone said Parent was a much better skater. That is silly. Jack is an incredible skater. And an incredible skater with the puck. I feel no need to declare who is better in that attribute, but whoever is, the gap is quite small. Both are plus skaters.

QUOTE]

Parent is one of the top 5 skaters in the CHL. I´ve watched people blow by Johnson 3-4 times in the last two WJCs. Parent is five times the skater Johnson will ever be. His stride is effortless, hís speed is Coffey-like.

espo*

Can't say i witnessed this superiority in skating from Parent.Johnson is a dandy skater and looked to have everything Parent had in that department if not a little more.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
You can add Danny Markov in Detroit as a legit top 4 with little offensive potential.

As for Jack Johnson, I get to watch him all the time playing with the Wolverines and he's got hole in his game, to be sure. He still gets out of position far too often going after hits and still trys to pinch at the wrong times leading to odd-man rushes against. The recent Michigan vs. Michigan State game at Joe Louis Arena was an example of where the Spartans really exposed some weaknesses in JJ's game defensively. Offensively however he's awesome. He makes incredible passes and has excellent vision. He also loves to lead the rush and can blow past some of the lesser players in the CCHA.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad