Ryan Parent vs. Braydon Coburn

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Two defenseman who have been recently traded. Coburn is a little less then 2 years older then Parent and a little more experienced. Parent seems like the safer bet at this point to be a legit top 3-4 d-man. Coburn is more effective offensively and probably has the bigger upside, though he has struggled a bit to adapt to the NHL with his 6'5" frame.

So who would you rather have and why?

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
parent. i would rather have someone who will most likely turn into a regehr/hannan type of player then someone who just has potantial. parent is the safer bet right now and he is most likely to stick around in the NHL for a long time.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I'd rather have Parent. No hesitation there really, either. Parent skates sooooo well, and even if he doesn't have the monster size that Coburn might, he uses what he has very efficiently. I just can't see any risk in Parent. He'll be a fine shut-down guy. I have seen an awful lot less of Coburn than Parent, so you can go ahead and accuse me of bias there, but I guess I just like Parent so much that I can't really imagine Coburn surpassing him in my estimation, even if he tops out on many of his upside potentials. Elsewhere, I've postulated Coburn as a future good-version-of-Jassen Cullimore type of defenseman. That's not bad. And that is probably a legit top 3-4 d-man too. But the uncertainty would scare me off. Parent is a sure bet, a slam dunk IMHO. It would be a little bit funny if the Flyers ended up with something young, cheap, and basically filling out the roles of what they thought they were getting by signing Rathje and Hatcher to those monster deals out of these two kids somewhere down the road.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
I like Coburn, he has all the physical tools to be a top 4. He is a project, but once he has fully adapted to the NHL he will be a solid complete top 4. He is a 5/6 guy at worst IMO. I am not high on Parent at all. He seems to be getting hyped up quite after him getting traded. Parent is a 5/6 guy at best, and he isn't a sure bet like people seem to think he is. The guy owns 0 offensive ability, he looks good shutting down junior players, but can he shut down NHLers? Shutting down NHLers takes time to learn and adapt to the game. Parent will likely only ever have a limited one dimensional defensive role on a team, while Coburn has the potential to be a solid 2 way complete dman, if developed properly. I have a feeling some people are gonna be dissapointed with Parent, especially those who would take him over Staal.

I am aware I am gonna get bashed for this post.

Kaktus*

I like Coburn, he has all the physical tools to be a top 4. He is a project, but once he has fully adapted to the NHL he will be a solid complete top 4. He is a 5/6 guy at worst IMO. I am not high on Parent at all. He seems to be getting hyped up quite after him getting traded. Parent is a 5/6 guy at best, and he isn't a sure bet like people seem to think he is. The guy owns 0 offensive ability, he looks good shutting down junior players, but can he shut down NHLers? Shutting down NHLers takes time to learn and adapt to the game. Parent will likely only ever have a limited one dimensional defensive role on a team, while Coburn has the potential to be a solid 2 way complete dman, if developed properly. I have a feeling some people are gonna be dissapointed with Parent, especially those who would take him over Staal.

I am aware I am gonna get bashed for this post.
Not all of it makes a lot of sense... Especially questions like, can he shut down NHLers or can he learn to adapt in NHL.. You can ask that any prospect. That’s why Flyers traded for him because they think he can. He is 19 years old. I do not think he can do it now but 4 years from now? He should be able to stop top scoring guys in NHL with his speed, positioning and physical play..
Coburn scoring ability vs Parent defensive play. That’s what we are talking about here. Different roles.
Coburn is 6'5 and Parent is 6'2.. Both have physical tools to be top 4 in NHL.

Both youngsters with good speed. Parent is a bit more physical player Coburn more scoring.

Limited defensive role? My friend…. Defense wins championships in any sport.

You can choose either one, depending on your team needs. Tough to compare.
Can you compare Madden and Gomez? Foote and Blake? Sure can but why?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->