Player Discussion Ryan O'Reilly - all purpose discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Watching ROR play for Canada with skilled wingers reminded me how awesome he is.
I also think he played injured last season.
An improved and motivated Eichel plus ROR is going to be so much fun to watch next season. Can't wait.

I think you mean how well he played with skilled centers. He was on the wing the entire tournament. Showing again that he can be effective at any forward position.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Larsson sucked on the wing in-part because Bylsma wanted him to be an uptempo, check-finishing power forward rather than providing possession + defense.

If Housley lets guys play to strengths from any position, we might find some money in the wash.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
He's wearing skinny jeans. No wonder he's sucking it up. I don't even get how a hockey player can fit in those

Reactions: Howie Hodge

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Why hasn't he been out there on the PK much at all? Very odd. That plus not naming him captain messed with his psyche... Possibly.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Why hasn't he been out there on the PK much at all? Very odd. That plus not naming him captain messed with his psyche... Possibly.

If not naming him captain 'messed' with him mentally like that, then the Sabres dodged a bullet. No one that weak deserves a C on their sweater.

I'm starting to wonder if there isn't a nagging injury we don't know about that's not bad enough to keep him out of the line-up, but is bad enough to affect his game. ROR just has not been himself so far this season.

Punished ROR

a hero denied by hortons
Jul 3, 2006
The lockout shortened year, when ROR returned from the KHL thanks to a Calgary offer sheet, he looked pretty pedestrian -- big, slow, heck, he even scored the GWG on his own net in his first game back. An ankle injury he got in the KHL probably didn't help.

He had a similarly bad start back in the 2014-2015 season, where he looked every bit as lost as he does right now. Avs fans were mildly worried, yet also besides themselves with joy that he might be driving his asking price down ... before he put it all together and returned to the ROR everyone knows and loves around December. He was the best Av on the ice from that point forward.

His first year here in Buffalo, I thought he looked sluggish, his timing was off, and he wasn't winning those 1-1 battles like he normally does. Sound familiar yet? It took him about 10 games to really get going, at which point this board really fell in love with him, and the dissenting voices about the price Murray paid etc., began to disappear.

Point is, there's enough data points by now that I'm starting to think he just might be something of a slow-starter.

edit: the captain conspiracy nonsense is dumb and makes you guys look like Avs fans at the height of their childishness. Apparently it's contagious across fanbases ...

Last edited:

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
If ROR's performance has even a bit anything to do with the captaincy situation or Eichel getting his contract or anything like that, I want the A ripped off his chest no later than immediately.

But I doubt it has anything to do with the above. The whole team looks bad and it's still really early of the season. But ROR is one of those guys who needs to step up to elevate the whole team.

Reactions: dasaybz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad