Player Discussion Ryan Nugent-Hopkins '17-18 Season

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Dude you are obsessed with career high 50 point Ryan Strome so much. Is he your brother?

Yes, you've clearly cracked the case Scooby. I'm Dylan Strome.

You guys have been riding Strome's jock all year long and I told you guys very clearly, give Strome the same oppurtunity as Eberle/RNH (the "golden boys") and you probably would see similar production.

Well looooo and behold what happens as soon Strome gets put into the top six ...

And just for the record, I think Strome is a vanilla player too. I'd just rather pay $30k for a Honda Accord instead of a $80k for one. If I'm spending 80k, I want a luxury vehicle.

Give Strome the same oppurtunities as Eberle last year (which was 30 games with McDavid + 50 on the second line and zero chance of demotion) and you'll get 40-50 points too. But nooooo ... he doesn't toe drag and fancy dangle enough as if those goals are worth any more.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Go rewatch the play if you think you are so smart.

*Note this is after Nuge got kneed by Faulk and had to leave the ice

He gets up a split second after Staal does, he is following him. Larsson and Nurse both take Staal and both ignore Slavin who is streaking down the wing.

There is no Nuge, staying on the ice waiting for a call.

So like I said, stop making bull **** up and use your eyes.

Nuge took secs to get off the ice. Even glanced at an official. Not sure why. Watch Yamamoto get off the ice after getting hit. He practically bounces off the ice. Because he's determined not to be put on the ice. Theres a whole lot of game and tenacity in that player. That's what I like.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Yes, you've clearly cracked the case Scooby. I'm Dylan Strome.

You guys have been riding Strome's jock all year long and I told you guys very clearly, give Strome the same oppurtunity as Eberle/RNH (the "golden boys") and you probably would see similar production.

Well looooo and behold what happens as soon Strome gets put into the top six ...

And just for the record, I think Strome is a vanilla player too. I'd just rather pay $30k for a Honda Accord instead of a $80k for one.

Strome had an excellent 3rd period. Two great plays almost resulting in a comeback.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Nuge is just one of those players who has no desire to be great. He’s comfortable. He goes back to van every year trains with his brother doing the same routine and comes back the same mediocre player.

Reactions: Matt19Oilers

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Nuge took secs to get off the ice. Even glanced at an official. Not sure why. Watch Yamamoto get off the ice after getting hit. He practically bounces off the ice. Because he's determined not to be put on the ice. Theres a whole lot of game and tenacity in that player. That's what I like.
What are you even seeing. He and Staal get up at pretty much the same time. Nuge had been to the room for getting a f***ing knee to the leg. He was sore as f*** from it.

Start at 3:26
3:26 - Still tanlged with Stall
3:27- They break loose, Stall stumbles over him and turns Nuge around, Nuge starts getting up
3:28 - He is up and starts skating

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
They both are. Difference is Klefbom is playing like Mark Fayne right now. Nuge is just Nuging, but I've kinda had it with that too. I'm done with lowering my bar for Nugent Hopkins. You're a better ****ing player than this. Play like it.

We got Klef in a package deal for a spent Dustin Penner afairc. (memory isn't too good anymore) So not that hard to obtain him. Nuge is a #1 pick, highly paid player, expectation is more.
Nuge is just one of those players who has no desire to be great. He’s comfortable. He goes back to van every year trains with his brother doing the same routine and comes back the same mediocre player.

This is absolutely what I make of this player.

Dead on.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
What are you even seeing. He and Staal get up at pretty much the same time. Nuge had been to the room for getting a ****ing knee to the leg. He was sore as **** from it.

Start at 3:26
3:26 - Still tanlged with Stall
3:27- They break loose, Stall stumbles over him and turns Nuge around, Nuge starts getting up
3:28 - He is up and starts skating

Video isn't playing for me.

Anyway Nuge got up AFTER Stall and quite clearly thus he was behind the play. Just watched it again on NHL hilites. If an old Staal can leave a Young Nuge in his dust Nuge shouldn't even be on the ice.

Anyway, we're getting nowhere, we see it differently, that's fine.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
To add to that, to show what happend

3:32 - Nuge starts gliding as he sees both defenders there, Nurse tries to tie up Staal, Larsson puck watching doesn't see Slavin, also goes for Staal

Then a second later Staal passes it goals scored.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Sadly I think this is true. He got massive money way too early and never gave a f*** after that.

I mean he "wants" to be a good player ... in a "I'd like a bag of Doritos right now" kind of way. It's not a burning desire to be there.

He has all the tools but there's no drive or fire in that engine at all. He's content with being "ok".

The one thing I liked about Hall is he always has that fire and always wanted to be the best player he could be, even if it manifested in sheer stupidity at times (like going face first into the goal post or something).

I really hope whatever got into RNH and Eberle never gets into Yamamoto, because I see passion and enthusiasm there. I think him always being so small puts him into default "Rocky Balboa" mode where he's always the underdog and that can light a fire under someone's butt something fierce.

Don't be like these two Kailer.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Video isn't playing for me.

Anyway Nuge got up AFTER Stall and quite clearly thus he was behind the play. Just watched it again on NHL hilites. If an old Staal can leave a Young Nuge in his dust Nuge shouldn't even be on the ice.

Anyway, we're getting nowhere, we see it differently, that's fine.
What part about Nuge got f***ing kneed minutes earlier and had to leave the ice you don't understand.

Yes he got up after, but Staal had him down, they were tangled, Staal has to get up first cause he is on top. So of course he got up after. Do you not know how anatomy works?

That goal also doesn't happen if both defensemen go for the same guy and miss the defensemen jumping into the play.

Again, finding bullshit reasons to hate a player you do not like.

Also why is it Nuges job to get back to stop and catch Stall when BOTH defenders are right there?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Sadly I think this is true. He got massive money way too early and never gave a **** after that.

I mean he "wants" to be a good player ... in a "I'd like a bag of Doritos right now" kind of way. It's not a burning desire to be there.

He has all the tools but there's no drive or fire in that engine at all. He's content with being "ok".

The one thing I liked about Hall is he always has that fire and always wanted to be the best player he could be, even if it manifested in sheer stupidity at times (like going face first into the goal post or something).

I really hope whatever got into RNH and Eberle never gets into Yamamoto, because I see passion and enthusiasm there. I think him always being so small puts him into default "Rocky Balboa" mode where he's always the underdog and that can light a fire under someone's butt something fierce.

Don't be like these two Kailer.
I agree I really like what I’m seeing from Yamamoto so far. With smarts, tenacity and talent you can go a long way despite his physical limitations.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Blaming the first goal on Nuge is asinine and trying to push an agenda. It was a terrible pinch by Klef, if he had stayed back it's a 2 on 2 coming down the ice and likely ends up as a nothing play. The last goal was definitely on him a bit, as he's stride for stride with Slavin through the neutral zone and then just lets him go at the blue line and glides into the slot. If he had stuck with Slavin he likely could have broken up the pass or at least prevented Slavin from cutting back across the net like he did.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
What part about Nuge got ****ing kneed minutes earlier and had to leave the ice you don't understand.

Yes he got up after, but Staal had him down, they were tangled, Staal has to get up first cause he is on top. So of course he got up after. Do you not know how anatomy works?

That goal also doesn't happen if both defensemen go for the same guy and miss the defensemen jumping into the play.

Again, finding bull**** reasons to hate a player you do not like.

Also why is it Nuges job to get back to stop and catch Stall when BOTH defenders are right there?
It was an odd man break resulting in the deciding goal. It was an odd man break because Nuge was flat on his back on an offensive zone draw. This can't be clearer.

if you think a 3-2 break can't be potentially dangerous with a skilled line on the ice I'm not sure what to tell you. Its key for a defensive Center not to be caught. Nuge was caught on two EV GA and you somehow completely absolve him of both. I don't.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Blaming the first goal on Nuge is asinine and trying to push an agenda. It was a terrible pinch by Klef, if he had stayed back it's a 2 on 2 coming down the ice and likely ends up as a nothing play. The last goal was definitely on him a bit, as he's stride for stride with Slavin through the neutral zone and then just lets him go at the blue line and glides into the slot. If he had stuck with Slavin he likely could have broken up the pass or at least prevented Slavin from cutting back across the net like he did.
It's also on Larsson there for not paying attention and tunnel visioning on Staal. None of the 3 saw him coming.

But because Nuge makes the most money of the 3 it's 100% his fault and he should be traded with a 1st for a 7th cause he is that bad /s

I can't wait for Nuge to be gone so we can run Draisaitl or Mcdavid out of town.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It was an odd man break resulting in the deciding goal. It was an odd man break because Nuge was flat on his back on an offensive zone draw. This can't be clearer.

if you think a 3-2 break can't be potentially dangerous with a skilled line on the ice I'm not sure what to tell you. Its key for a defensive Center not to be caught. Nuge was caught on two EV GA and you somehow completely absolve him of both. I don't.
So a player should never be overpowered by a guy who has 4 inches and 20 pounds on him and should phase thru a guy on top of him to get up faster and not get tangled. Makes complete sense.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting

Well, in the words of a guy that isn't liked very much now, but was actually a pretty solid shutdown Defender, Craig MacTavish, is its absolutely essential for any competent NHL center to be able to read forechecks that are there, and that are not there, and that you peelback immediately if you get the sense that the opponent will be able to reverse the puck.

Understand that I worship hockey that is played between the ears and with players being astute enough to play it with men back. Outnumbered situations are invariably trouble in hockey. The responsibility of D, and defensive Centers is not to be outnumbered back and to prioritizekeeping yourself between opponent and your own goal as much as possible when your club does not have possession.

Nuge and Klef can both be faulted for the goal.

That it happened on the first shift at home, to a struggling team that needs better than this was truly disgusting.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Well, in the words of a guy that isn't liked very much now, but was actually a pretty solid shutdown Defender, Craig MacTavish, is its absolutely essential for any competent NHL center to be able to read forechecks that are there, and that are not there, and that you peelback immediately if you get the sense that the opponent will be able to reverse the puck.

Understand that I worship hockey that is played between the ears and with players being astute enough to play it with men back. Outnumbered situations are invariably trouble in hockey. The responsibility of D, and defensive Centers is not to be outnumbered back and to prioritizekeeping yourself between opponent and your own goal as much as possible when your club does not have possession.

That it happened on the first shift at home, to a struggling team that needs better than this was truly disgusting.
So trade him to Vancouver for a 7th rounder. Got it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
RNH was mediocre tonight but that's to be expect from RNH, every 2nd or 3rd game is a virtual gauruntee that he's invisible. You don't have to blame him for the first goal to get there. But Klefbom was Justin Schultz-from-two-years-ago bad. Worse possibly.

If someone had kidnapped Klefbom before that game, we probably win, which is so sad it's funny.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
So a player should never be overpowered by a guy who has 4 inches and 20 pounds on him and should phase thru a guy on top of him to get up faster and not get tangled. Makes complete sense.

How often do you think I note Nuge gets overpowered by opposition centers? ;)

Hint. A lot.

I like strong Centers that can at least hold their own. McD is that, Drai is that, Nuge is physically not that. That is a detriment.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Blaming nuge for the first goal is just trying to push an agenda, that goal is 100% on klefbom for his terrible pinch.

Reactions: BarDownBobo

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting

What makes complete sense is that a D Center needs to be sufficiently strong enough to at least neutralize an opponent center and not be completely owned on the play. Staal did exactly what he wanted to Nuge on the play. It was no accident, it was no penalty either. He's done it to Nuge before too.

Are we just gonna say its not fair, Nuge is not big enough, strong enough, it sucks..

Nuge is in this position because he's been downgraded from #1 C to #3 center and hoping we can get him to kind of do some other role. Its a bad experiment. Nuge is not good enough to be in topsix on this team when its healthy, is not strong enough to be a shutdown C, and is overpaid relative to what he has brought the last two seasons. This isn't recent concern with his performance. its ongoing.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
What makes complete sense is that a D Center needs to be sufficiently strong enough to at least neutralize an opponent center and not be completely owned on the play. Staal did exactly what he wanted to Nuge on the play. It was no accident, it was no penalty either. He's done it to Nuge before too.

Are we just gonna say its not fair, Nuge is not big enough, strong enough, it sucks..

Nuge is in this position because he's been downgraded from #1 C to #3 center and hoping we can get him to kind of do some other role. Its a bad experiment. Nuge is not good enough to be in topsix on this team when its healthy, is not strong enough to be a shutdown C, and is overpaid relative to what he has brought the last two seasons. This isn't recent concern with his performance. its ongoing.
The only center on our team that wouldn't of been manhandled like that is Draisaitl.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Blaming nuge for the first goal is just trying to push an agenda, that goal is 100% on klefbom for his terrible pinch.

BOTH Nuge and Klef were caught on the play. The first shift. Neither should be.

Look, any coach at any level of competitive hockey throws out a first line and pairing with the expectation that they account for themselves well in that shift and in that game. To set the tone for the game. Well they did, but not as intended or desired.

To say that a Defensive Center, who has been afforded that role on a hockey club has no responsibility for numbers back contain on that play is weird.

A Center has more accountability than wingers. I don't need to explain this.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
It's also on Larsson there for not paying attention and tunnel visioning on Staal. None of the 3 saw him coming.

But because Nuge makes the most money of the 3 it's 100% his fault and he should be traded with a 1st for a 7th cause he is that bad /s

I can't wait for Nuge to be gone so we can run Draisaitl or Mcdavid out of town.
Some of the blame does go to Larsson as well no question. My big issue is that Nuge stops skating and lets Slavin blow by him. Its a lazy/careless looking play that cost them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->