Ryan Murray = 2nd pairing dman?

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
We will keep Murray. Jack will be traded at the deadline.
Trading Jack at the deadline seems unlikely since the common rental UFAs for draft picks deal would be only if we weren't a playoff contender. He's valuable to us as playoff contender. I could see him traded only if bundled with a pick or prospect to a bottom team offering a top 6 UFA or big contract center.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Not so sure Gavrikov wouldn't be ready, he was thought to be ready to step into the nhl this year.
Gavrikov signed a 2 year deal in the KHL, a league with which the NHL does not have a transfer agreement. Earliest he could play here is '19-20.

DEF

Oct 24, 2008
White Castle's
Jack is looking for a big ufa contract. We won't be able to resign him. We might get something useful from a deadline trade.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Murray looks like he has returned to Zen Murray state on the ice.

Off topic, but what type of contract do you think JJ will get?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Not so sure Gavrikov wouldn't be ready, he was thought to be ready to step into the nhl this year. Murray in my eyes is used as trade bait, and we should be glad that hes upping his value. We have signaled that we are all in to win the cup in the next 2 years, clearing salary, and if we have any hope that Panarin resigns here, we need to show we are committed to making the necessary moves needed, to win the cup. With Jones, Werenski, and Savard, all a must to keep , do we resign Jack ? He brings a physical nature to our defense, that Murray definitely doesn't. Also a much better offensive, defenseman. Gavrikov, and Carlsson are other candidates that easily replace Murray.

We can't touch him until he decides he wants to leave Russia, which won't be until after the Olympics at the earliest, so you can't count on him for at least another year or two. .

As far as JJ goes he's absolutely more valuable to us in the playoffs than whatever he's going to return at the TDL. Sometimes you just have to cut you're losses and move on. Next season I'll likely have a lot more faith in Carlsson and Nutti(I hope)

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Not so sure Gavrikov wouldn't be ready, he was thought to be ready to step into the nhl this year. Murray in my eyes is used as trade bait, and we should be glad that hes upping his value. We have signaled that we are all in to win the cup in the next 2 years, clearing salary, and if we have any hope that Panarin resigns here, we need to show we are committed to making the necessary moves needed, to win the cup. With Jones, Werenski, and Savard, all a must to keep , do we resign Jack ? He brings a physical nature to our defense, that Murray definitely doesn't. Also a much better offensive, defenseman. Gavrikov, and Carlsson are other candidates that easily replace Murray.
We can find similar players to JJ very easily. He’s replaceable imo, I don’t get why so many are wanting to keep him. Is it because he was “a good soldier for us” idk but I’d much rather have Murray.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Trading JJ at the deadline would be foolish if we continue to look like competitors. His value in the playoffs >> the 1st rounder we would get from trading him at the deadline, potentially to a team that we end up facing in the playoffs..

I also think it's wise to let him leave in free agency and to go get paid. We draft and develop players to replace the expensive ones. We will be fine going into '18-19 with Z, Jones, Murray, Savard, Carlsson, Nutivaara, Harrington.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
There's a part of me that would love to see JJ win the Conn Smythe just so that can be thrown in the faces of every single advanced stats parrot who kept insisting he was crap without knowing anything about the stats they purported to use to demonstrate that.

Accordingly, we can't possibly trade him. It would make me sad. :nod:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
While I understand maximizing the value of your assets, Jack is a beast in the playoffs. I think there's more value in that.

w6yRN_s-200x150.gif

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
If we're as good as we should be I can't see us dumping Jack for a pick or prospect. Now as others mentioned maybe you bundle him for something different if we have a need (like Jack and a pick/prospect for a Center) and if Murray keeps playing like a top 4 dman.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
JJ isn't getting traded unless we're not in the playoff hunt. It makes no sense to do it. I don't know if we'll keep him past this year but removing him from our lineup makes us worse for no reason. We have some prospects and some picks, we don't need more at the expense of hurting our NHL team.

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
People really must think he's worthless if they believe he can land us a #1 center :help: Oh right, except that Joe guy in Colorado, Sakic?? He wasn't buying a one for one

I started jumping off the Duchene train during training camp, but was an advocate of using Murray in the trade for many months, and not because I thought he was trash. Quite the opposite, really.
Well you are in the minority then, others have not been favorable - go back an look at some of the garbage that has been posted

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Well you are in the minority then, others have not been favorable - go back an look at some of the garbage that has been posted
You're saying there are posters who think Murray is "fragile, slow" yet think he has enough value to trade for a #1 center? Maybe you should just, I don't know, ignore these people. Clearly they're delusional. I think he has enough value to be included in the deal, which is a compliment to him. Just because you're ok with trading a player doesn't mean you hate his guts.

I've seen plenty of people shit all over Murray while I've defended him to death. And even though I have backed off of my affinity for Duchene, there is still plenty of reason and logic behind trading for Duchene via a package around Murray. To deny it completely is silly. We're weak at center, and this trade could fix that weakness. Whether one is willing to trade our only piece of insurance to injury in the top 4 is another question.

Also, I never said anything about a 1-for-1 trade, which you seem to have slipped into my original post for some reason.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
You're saying there are posters who think Murray is "fragile, slow" yet think he has enough value to trade for a #1 center? Maybe you should just, I don't know, ignore these people. Clearly they're delusional. I think he has enough value to be included in the deal, which is a compliment to him. Just because you're ok with trading a player doesn't mean you hate his guts.

I've seen plenty of people **** all over Murray while I've defended him to death. And even though I have backed off of my affinity for Duchene, there is still plenty of reason and logic behind trading for Duchene via a package around Murray. To deny it completely is silly. We're weak at center, and this trade could fix that weakness. Whether one is willing to trade our only piece of insurance to injury in the top 4 is another question.

Also, I never said anything about a 1-for-1 trade, which you seem to have slipped into my original post for some reason.

Pretty sure he was only saying you're in the minority in believing that Murray has the value to fetch a #1 center via trade.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
1-for-1 yeah he's nowhere close but I never said such a thing.

Even in a package, most folks seemed "meh" at best when it was centered around Murray. Folks were saying (including CBJ fans) that Carlsson > Murray in terms of trade value.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Even in a package, most folks seemed "meh" at best when it was centered around Murray. Folks were saying (including CBJ fans) that Carlsson > Murray in terms of trade value.
Oh, I know. I spent quite a bit of time in the Duchene threads.

1) I would say that Carlsson currently holds more trade value than Murray, yet I think Murray still has the higher potential.
2) There were more than a few Avs fans who had come around on a Murray package.

The point is that I believe Murray is and always has been a fair centerpiece for the deal. I also acknowledge that this is probably the "minority" opinion, but I've always been high on RM.

I was originally responding to an assertion that there are people who actively trash him, yet want to trade him for a #1 center. If these people are so hard on him, then surely they don't think he's capable of being the centerpiece in such a deal, yet if someone wants to trade him for a #1 center, then they don't understand that the guy is very valuable to us and it's unbelievable that they would consider filling our largest hole by trading him.

There is merit both in keeping Murray and in trading him. I'm perfectly fine with keeping him and always have been, but have always been open minded about the options for trade as well.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Oh, I know. I spent quite a bit of time in the Duchene threads.

1) I would say that Carlsson currently holds more trade value than Murray, yet I think Murray still has the higher potential.
2) There were more than a few Avs fans who had come around on a Murray package.

The point is that I believe Murray is and always has been a fair centerpiece for the deal. I also acknowledge that this is probably the "minority" opinion, but I've always been high on RM.

I was originally responding to an assertion that there are people who actively trash him, yet want to trade him for a #1 center. If these people are so hard on him, then surely they don't think he's capable of being the centerpiece in such a deal, yet if someone wants to trade him for a #1 center, then they don't understand that the guy is very valuable to us and it's unbelievable that they would consider filling our largest hole by trading him.

There is merit both in keeping Murray and in trading him. I'm perfectly fine with keeping him and always have been, but have always been open minded about the options for trade as well.

I totally get where you're coming from. I was just pointing out that I didn't think the poster you'd quoted was calling you out for what you thought he was calling you out for. But I agree with ya 100%.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
I totally get where you're coming from. I was just pointing out that I didn't think the poster you'd quoted was calling you out for what you thought he was calling you out for. But I agree with ya 100%.
I actually don't think they were calling me out at all. I'm trying to make sense of their viewpoint :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad