Ryan Miller Vs. Henrik Lundqvist

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabresrat

Jan 30, 2006
Destiny
cheechoo14whitney said:
Lundqvist is better now and I also expect him to remain atop Miller, I'm not that convinced about Miller ever becoming a number one goalie

Uh, he is right now, so you are already wrong.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
As a Ranger fan its hard to go against Lundqvist, who knows where the Rangers would be if it werent for him. I havnt seen Miller enough to give a fair comparison, but Lundqvist has just been unreal. Any other year he would be almost a lock for the Calder.

On the other hand, as an American, I'm hoping Miller turns into a monster player. At least until Montoya matures. ;)

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
sabresrat said:
The whole point of this thread is to judge someone.

I don't think you can deny the fact that NHL playoff success separates good goalies from great ones. Both of these goalies will get their first shot this offseason.
Certainly the whole point of this thread is to judge the goalies and several people have come to the same conclusion as you, but have made cogent arguments to back up their positions. All that you've shown is that you know nothing about Henrik Lundqvist.

You're right, however, that playoff success separates the wheat from the chaff. I'll put my neck on the line and predict that Lundqvist will come through in the postseason. In Sweden he's been consistently statistically better in the playoffs than in the regular season.

Gozer

Sep 22, 2005
Västerås
sabresrat said:
I said awards. The fact that he hasn't done anything until last year just keeps building on my point.

After he has done it for one more year, it looks like he will be the better goalie. Right now, Miller has proven himself in the North American game.

Wow, I'm amazed how you can come to this conclusion. Please elaborate.

ManuelCalavera

La-La-La-Locked Out
Apr 7, 2003
Rochester, NY
Visit site
Anyone else wish this thread would just end?

They are both very sound, excellent young goalies. Miller has recognition on this board as a highly touted prospect for the past few years. Lundqvist played very well last year by all accounts and is currently doing quite well in New York. In the bigger NYR market, many people have seen him play.

With that said, both are the number 1 goalies on two teams with similar records. Miller and Lundqvist have damn near identical numbers, with Lundqvist being a bit younger. Barring a complete meltdown, each will be the starter for many years to come.

Honestly, is there any point to this? It just seems that people just pick whomever they have seen more of. So yah, good for the Rangers and Sabres scouting staff for picking up late round stars.

And oh yah:
Ovechkin+Miller >> Crosby+Lundqvist :D

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
nomorekids said:
Yeah, I have lots of reason to hate the Sabres, considering my team never plays them, ever. Could it be that I'm just usually posting in disagreement to someone overrating a Sabres player--commonplace, these days?

If the Sabre players are being overrated, why have they eclipsed every expectation that many, you included, had of them. You said that they were clearly less talented than the Coyotes earlier this year. I'm pretty sure you had them missing the playoffs comfortably. So are you just out of your mind or had you been underating the players? Probably the former, based on the quoted post.

Sather Hater

Jul 28, 2003
NJ
Visit site
"It will never happen, but we're jumping on the Lundqvist-for-Calder bandwagon." from ESPN Power Rankings Week 17 (1-31-06) - see below

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/powerranking

John Buccigross - "Rangers' Lundqvist is my top rookie" 12-14-05

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=buccigross_john&id=2256716

"Alexander Ovechkin may score 60 this year. He has nudged himself past Crosby in their race, but don't forget Henrik Lundqvist in New York. He has my vote for the Vezina right now. He has changed the culture in New York and he has a .821 save percentage in shootouts, stopping 23 of 28 shootout shots. If I had a goalie to make a shootout save to win me a new Mercedes, I would take Martin Brodeur first and Lundqvist second." Buccigross

It might just be me, but I don't see many people mentioning Miller with the words Vezina or Calder?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Sather Hater said:
"It will never happen, but we're jumping on the Lundqvist-for-Calder bandwagon." from ESPN Power Rankings Week 17 (1-31-06) - see below

[B]John Buccigross[/B] - "Rangers' Lundqvist is my top rookie" 12-14-05

"Alexander Ovechkin may score 60 this year. He has nudged himself past Crosby in their race, but don't forget Henrik Lundqvist in New York. He has my vote for the Vezina right now. He has changed the culture in New York and he has a .821 save percentage in shootouts, stopping 23 of 28 shootout shots. If I had a goalie to make a shootout save to win me a new Mercedes, I would take Martin Brodeur first and Lundqvist second." Buccigross

It might just be me, but I don't see many people mentioning Miller with the words Vezina or Calder?

Right in Lundy's backyard he is mentioned.http://www.msgnetwork.com/content_n...ticle&sports=ice-hockey&team=other&league=nhl near the bottom
that said this is turning into a silly debate. They are both very good young goalies. I am partial to Miller being a Sabres fan but have seen Lundy a few times on center ice. Lundy is very impressive, if nothing else he could be the rangers MVP. Ranger fans am I right or wrong?

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
MLH said:
If the Sabre players are being overrated, why have they eclipsed every expectation that many, you included, had of them. You said that they were clearly less talented than the Coyotes earlier this year. I'm pretty sure you had them missing the playoffs comfortably. So are you just out of your mind or had you been underating the players? Probably the former, based on the quoted post.

How? How could anyone have predicted that guys like Connolly and Kotalik would have sudden career years? And what does that have to do with underrating\overrating prospects? The thing that got a lot of people up in arms was when I said that Vanek's preseason\AHL success wasn't reason to be putting him up with Crosby and Ovechkin for potential Calder winners. And sure enough, he hasn't matched that. I incorrectly predicted the Sabres would be a marginal team this year, that I'll concede...but it had nothing to do with some perceived "hatred."

Sather Hater

Jul 28, 2003
NJ
Visit site
joshjull said:
[/B]
Right in Lundy's backyard he is mentioned.http://www.msgnetwork.com/content_n...ticle&sports=ice-hockey&team=other&league=nhl near the bottom
that said this is turning into a silly debate. They are both very good young goalies. I am partial to Miller being a Sabres fan but have seen Lundy a few times on center ice. Lundy is very impressive, if nothing else he could be the rangers MVP. Ranger fans am I right or wrong?

Yeah Stan Fischler says "Don’t look now, but in Buffalo they argue that Ryan Miller is a legitimate competitor for the Calder Trophy, battling Lundqvist – among others – for the prize."

Not much of compliment when he basically says ONLY BUFFALO FANS think Miller is a competitor for the Calder.

BigTimer*

Impartial to both teams but Lundqvist is the better goalie. I'd take him over Miller heading into the playoffs and whoever brings up NA experience is out to lunch.

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
nomorekids said:
How? How could anyone have predicted that guys like Connolly and Kotalik would have sudden career years?

Kotalik has consistently scored goals in his brief career. I predicted he'd score between 25-30 goals this year. The new NHL was made for Connolly, but injury concerns made him a question mark. I don't really blame you for not seeing the Sabres underrated talent, but unless you predicted Dumont and Briere getting injured then the entire point is irrelevant anyway. Had Dumont and Briere been healthy it would be reasonable for any hockey fan to assume that they would be putting up the numbers that Kotalik and Connolly have thus far.

nomorekids said:
And what does that have to do with underrating\overrating prospects?

Nothing, However, you never said anything about overrating Sabres prospects. You said it has become commonplace for people on these boards to be "overrating a Sabres player". Clearly, nothing is farther from the truth. The Sabres young talent was underrated on these boards going into the season and are still flying under the radar.

nomorekids said:
The thing that got a lot of people up in arms was when I said that Vanek's preseason\AHL success wasn't reason to be putting him up with Crosby and Ovechkin for potential Calder winners. And sure enough, he hasn't matched that. I incorrectly predicted the Sabres would be a marginal team this year, that I'll concede...but it had nothing to do with some perceived "hatred."

I don't think I saw that thread, but I doubt Sabre fans were too upset that you didn't think he was Ovechkin/Crosby caliber. I'm sure you dismissed him all together, when in reality he's the 2nd leading goal scorer on one of the best teams in the Eastern Conference. He would be top ten in Calder voting if it were held today and he's beginning to get into a groove. Perhaps if he finishes the year hot he can move into the top 5, but that would be difficult.

If you don't "hate" the Sabres as the earlier poster suggested you certainly consistently underestimate them.

billsandsabres

lurking
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
troy, ny
Sather Hater said:

John Buccigross - "Rangers' Lundqvist is my top rookie" 12-14-05

espn cares as much about hockey as i do about astro-physics

Anyone else wish this thread would just end?

They are both very sound, excellent young goalies. Miller has recognition on this board as a highly touted prospect for the past few years. Lundqvist played very well last year by all accounts and is currently doing quite well in New York. In the bigger NYR market, many people have seen him play.

With that said, both are the number 1 goalies on two teams with similar records. Miller and Lundqvist have damn near identical numbers, with Lundqvist being a bit younger. Barring a complete meltdown, each will be the starter for many years to come.

Honestly, is there any point to this? It just seems that people just pick whomever they have seen more of. So yah, good for the Rangers and Sabres scouting staff for picking up late round stars.

amen
i think this is dead on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad