Ryan Miller Vs. Henrik Lundqvist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slot 3

exitus acta probat
Nov 2, 2005
Vancouver
Definately Lundqvist all the way. Wasn't he the MVP for the SEL a couple years back? Lunqvist has slightly better positioning over Miller.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
shubu fubu said:
Definately Lundqvist all the way. Wasn't he the MVP for the SEL a couple years back? Lunqvist has slightly better positioning over Miller.

Heres what he did before the NHL

Swedish All-Star Team 2003, 2004, 2005
Swedish Junior of the year 2001/02
All-Star Team (WC 2004)
European Player of the Month (March 2005, April 2005)
Elitserien MVP 2004/05

sabresrat

Jan 30, 2006
Destiny
Before Kipper, the Finnish goalie was a myth, and that's the point. Until Lundqvist can keep it up for at least 2 full seasons, I am going to stick with Miller.

Miller won the Hobey Baker award for best player in College Hockey, beating out Brian Gionta and Dany Heatley. What current NHL stars did Lundqvist beat out for his awards?

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
sabresrat said:
Before Kipper, the Finnish goalie was a myth, and that's the point. Until Lundqvist can keep it up for at least 2 full seasons, I am going to stick with Miller.

Miller won the Hobey Baker award for best player in College Hockey, beating out Brian Gionta and Dany Heatley. What current NHL stars did Lundqvist beat out for his awards?

Kiprusoff, Gerber, Fernandez, Chara, Souray, Marian Hossa, Peter Forsberg, Markus Näslund etc. Want me to continue that list? :)

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
sabresrat said:

SEL MVP 04/05? Peter Forsberg, Henrik Zetterberg, Markus Näslund, Marty Turco, Jose Theodore, Marian Hossa, Zdeno Chara, Martin Gerber, Miikka Kiprusoff, Daniel Alfredsson, Kristian Huselius, Brendan Morrison, :sarcasm:

Oop, Vikke beat me to it.

sabresrat

Jan 30, 2006
Destiny
I said awards. The fact that he hasn't done anything until last year just keeps building on my point.

After he has done it for one more year, it looks like he will be the better goalie. Right now, Miller has proven himself in the North American game.

JR#9*

sabresrat said:
I said awards. The fact that he hasn't done anything until last year just keeps building on my point.

After he has done it for one more year, it looks like he will be the better goalie. Right now, Miller has proven himself in the North American game.

Wow, you really are clueless!!! :shakehead

Why don't you do some homework before spouting off w/o having a clue what you're talking about.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I'd give Lundqvist the Calder, so obviously I have him rated higher than Miller. He's younger, more athletic, and doesn't have emotional issues like Miller. Miller appears to have resolved that last year with the help of a sports psychologist. He used to dwell on bad goals and let it affect his play. Hopefully that demon is gone for good.

Habsaku

Apr 28, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Lundquist, along with Lehtonen, is my favorite goaltender in the league, I love everything about his game. He's always in the right position, he looks cool and relaxed in nets, his feet are always at the right place at the right time, he seems to cover the whole net and he makes the key stops when he needs to. The Rangers are going far with him.

Bacchus

Nov 11, 2002
Dickes B
Visit site
sabresrat said:

Still, you only mentioned one award where Miller beat out current NHL players (and they were college players the time Miller did beat them).

For further information, see post #77.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
sabresrat said:

Yeah, and Brian Holzinger beat out Martin St Louis...and Jason Krog beat out Gionta as well. Mike Mottau, Kip Miller...or if you'd prefer goalies...Rob Stauber won it in 88.

Winning the Hobey Baker, even over eventual star NHLers, means very, very little. What speaks is what you're doing NOW in the NHL, and Lundqvist is pushing Jagr for team MVP. The Rangers wouldn't be where they are now without him. On the other hand, the Sabres' big hot streak came not with Miller in net, but Biron. You can argue potential, but at the moment, it's no contest. Lundqvist is just better, hands down.

TVanek26*

nomorekids said:
You can argue potential, but at the moment, it's no contest. Lundqvist is just better, hands down.

:rolleyes:

What else is new,you've continually give no credit to the Sabres (notably Tim Connolly and now Miller) and saying that it's no contest is laughable.

Lundqvist
21-7-0,2.12,.926

Miller
15-7-0,2.26,.922

Lundqvist is definitely heads and shoulders better then Miller :shakehead

Oh yeah,Miller is 2-0 against Lundqvist :sarcasm:

2Leetch_94

Kreid Me A River
Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
Yes, because H2H is a great way to judge when one's team shows up and the other's doesn't. :sarcasm: Lundqvist was the best Ranger on the ice during the last Rangers/Sabres game, score coulda been 5-0 Sabres after the 1st.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
DanielBriere48 said:

What else is new,you've continually give no credit to the Sabres (notably Tim Connolly and now Miller) and saying that it's no contest is laughable.

Lundqvist
21-7-0,2.12,.926

Miller
15-7-0,2.26,.922

Yeah, I have lots of reason to hate the Sabres, considering my team never plays them, ever. Could it be that I'm just usually posting in disagreement to someone overrating a Sabres player--commonplace, these days?

I'm not a Rangers fan. I'm not a Sabres fan. Many like-minded posters...fans of neither team...prefer Lundqvist. Sabres fans and mostly only Sabres fans vote Miller. This is all very, very telling...and what it's "telling" isn't that there's something akin to the anti-Leafs bias on the boards. It's just that you're getting ahead of yourself when you say that Miller has been as good as Lundqvist, who, to me, has outplayed some of the so-called "elite" tenders in the league this year.

MisterUnspoken

Vintage
Nov 10, 2002
New York
DanielBriere48 said:

Lundqvist
21-7-0,2.12,.926

Miller
15-7-0,2.26,.922

The Sabres are 2-0 against the Rangers with Lundqvist in net, I didn't know hockey games were a 1-1 affair where goalies slapped the puck at each other.

And further I'd say for anyone that really cares, watch both of those games and you'll see Miller had to do JACK. I was at both games, the recent at MSG on my birthday. Lundqvist stopped the score from being 5-1. Rangers played like garbage. Even Sabres fans sitting near me were saying how great he was.

Oct 22 was the same. Sabres peppered Lundqvist with 31 shots and had 8 powerplays in the game. They scored on 2 of them, one off the leg of Darius Kasparitus. Rangers in that game barely mustered 20 shots against Miller and were noted as having 5 scoring chances :shakehead .

So head to head is a joke of a comparison. The Rangers have played poorly verus Buffalo this year. Only one time putting in a halfway decent effort and even then it went to a shootout (Weekes in net).

sabresrat

Jan 30, 2006
Destiny
The stats point to two very similar goalies.

I'll take the one who has done something of substance in North America before the one who hasn't. Will that change in the future? Perhaps.

Keep in mind that Miller often doesn't look spectacular because he is almost always in near perfect position. Lundqvist certainly looks prettier, but his mechanics are not as good as Miller.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
sabresrat said:

I'll take the one who has done something of substance in North America before the one who hasn't. Will that change in the future? Perhaps.

Keep in mind that Miller often doesn't look spectacular because he is almost always in near perfect position. Lundqvist certainly looks prettier, but his mechanics are not as good as Miller.

That comment right there shows u barley have watched Lundqvist. Lundvist barley makes anything look spectacular because he is always in perfect position.

sabresrat

Jan 30, 2006
Destiny
We all know that the true test of a goalie is their success in the NHL playoffs.

We may get the answer to our question in the first round this year.

2Leetch_94

Kreid Me A River
Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
lol.....Lundqvist is excellent at being in position....please watch a goaltender before you try and tell us what his weaknesses are. I haven't seen enough of Miller to say what his best and worse traits are.

yarre

Oct 13, 2005
Gothenburg
sabresrat said:

Obviously a homer, as am I but if you had watched Lundqvist play you would know that he bases his play on being in the right spot at all times, he is not one for the highlights-saves, even if I have seen more of those in the NHL than he had in SEL.

Btw, I cant understand why you are bashing Lundqvist because he hasnt played in NA before, doesnt make him a worse goalie... The fact that he played against alot of NHLers in SEL and in WC should count for something. The only thing that should matter is that he is an amazing goalie, I saw someone who compared him to Salo just because he is swedish... foolish, Lundqvist isn't a like everyone else, Salo was a great goalie, I agree to that but Lundqvist has the mind of a true winner, haven't seen anything like it from Sweden before so dont compare him to other swedish goalies.

Watch Lundqvist play two, three more games instead of stating those stupid remarks about him, positioning is his thing.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
sabresrat said:
We all know that the true test of a goalie is their success in the NHL playoffs.

We may get the answer to our question in the first round this year.

I would suggest that you, in the fututre read up on a guy before judging him. I have seen Miller play a few times but I have seen Lundqvist play more the 100 times. I can't say what Millers best sides are, the only thing I can do is too read about him, but it would be unfair too give judgment on him based on a few games and some scout info, therefor I wont.

IMO Lundqvist has had no respect in nort america and when telling some one that there is a great young goalie from Sweden the most common reply is -"Haha another Salo" etc...

It was no suprise to me that Henke succeed in the NHL (maybe that he did it so fast but he got more minutes because of Weekes injury).

And at this moment I give the edge too Henke, he has had succes on international level and he has been the best goalie in the SEL the last three years.

Matsi

got paws?
Mar 22, 2005
Chiricahua Mountains
Lundqvist is better now and I also expect him to remain atop Miller, as I'm not convinced about Miller to keep the pace up and ever become a legitimate number one at the highest level.

I might as well be wrong though, we will have to wait and see...

Last edited:

sabresrat

Jan 30, 2006
Destiny
The whole point of this thread is to judge someone.

I don't think you can deny the fact that NHL playoff success separates good goalies from great ones. Both of these goalies will get their first shot this offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->