Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Fan-of-#9 said:
It's MILLERTIME.

Bias aside, I truly believe before season's end it will be clear who the better tender is. It will be Miller.

You should explain why.

Lundqvist with another absolutely amazing performance tonight VS the Pens. Would've been a shut out had it not been for two completely fluke and weird goals.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Jon Prescription said:
You should explain why.

Lundqvist with another absolutely amazing performance tonight VS the Pens. Would've been a shut out had it not been for two completely fluke and weird goals.

In which both were put in or helped be put in by our own team :teach:

2Leetch_94

Kreid Me A River
Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
I fail to see where Miller will 'clearly' be the better goaltender at season's end or vice vera. Both are excellent goalies and both Buffalo and the NY Rangers are glad to have them.

NYRGoalieGlut*

2Leetch_94 said:
I fail to see where Miller will 'clearly' be the better goaltender at season's end or vice vera. Both are excellent goalies and both Buffalo and the NY Rangers are glad to have them.

I've seen people say it quite a few times. Someone said before that he thinks that the Rangers will miss the playoffs because Lundqvist is a flash in the pan. People constantly say that and yet don't give any reasons for it. It's like if a goalie isn't flying around and making cartwheels he's a flash in the pan. He was awesome in Sweden too btw. I also love how it's clear. Hey let me make statements without backing anything up. It's clear that I'm the best hockey player on the face of the earth!

Fan-of-#9

Dec 27, 2003
Southern Ontario
Visit site
Jon Prescription said:
You should explain why.

I think as the season gets longer, the edge goes to Miller. He won 40 games last year in the AHL and is seasoned with 2 full seasons in Rochester. That is my reasoning to my original post. It's not a knock on Henrik, because from what I've seen he looks like a great talent. I'm not sure how the SEL works, but I don't think they play as many games there and I think that could be a factor down the stretch. Of course this is just opinion.

BigTimer*

Fan-of-#9 said:
I think as the season gets longer, the edge goes to Miller. He won 40 games last year in the AHL and is seasoned with 2 full seasons in Rochester. That is my reasoning to my original post. It's not a knock on Henrik, because from what I've seen he looks like a great talent. I'm not sure how the SEL works, but I don't think they play as many games there and I think that could be a factor down the stretch. Of course this is just opinion.
Ryan Miller's a stick. 6'3 155? The AHL isn't the NHL and it's possible the heavy schedule gets to him.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Lundquist is better

Right now one would have to give Lundquist the edge on this comparison. The reason being Ludquist has played in 11 more games then Miller and still having exceptional stats. Stats as of today (1/20/05):

Lundquist:
29 Games Started (31 Appearences) 18-6-5
66 GA 2.18 GAA 0.925 SAV% 2 SO 877 Shots

Miller:
20 Games Started (20 Appearences) 13-7-0
45 GA 2.24 GAA 0.923 SAV% 0 SO 582 Shots

Both are good goalies today and will be cornerstones for their teams in the future, but for now the edge most def. goes to Lundquist

Fan-of-#9

Dec 27, 2003
Southern Ontario
Visit site
BigTimer said:
Ryan Miller's a stick. 6'3 155? The AHL isn't the NHL and it's possible the heavy schedule gets to him.

Sure it's possible, but Miller has been through it, and broke a 50 year old record in the AHL last year with 40 wins. Miller has proven he can withstand an 80+ game schedule and be the best goalie in his league at the same time, Henrik has not.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Fan-of-#9 said:
Sure it's possible, but Miller has been through it, and broke a 50 year old record in the AHL last year with 40 wins. Miller has proven he can withstand an 80+ game schedule and be the best goalie in his league at the same time, Henrik has not.
He did..for 2 or 3 years in a row in the SEL, and took his team to a championship atleast once as well as a playoff MVP if im not mistaken. Take a look at this link from the Rangers site and you can see what Lundquist has done in the past.

http://www.newyorkrangers.com/team/playerinfo.asp?playerid=203

Last edited:

Fan-of-#9

Dec 27, 2003
Southern Ontario
Visit site
UAGoalieGuy said:
He did..for 2 or 3 years in a row in the SEL, and took his team to a championship atleast once as well as a playoff MVP if im not mistaken. Take a look at this link from the Rangers site and you can see what Lundquist has done in the past.

http://www.newyorkrangers.com/team/playerinfo.asp?playerid=203

I'm not trying to discount Henrik's accomplishments. Miller has played 60+ games + playoffs both of the last 2 seasons. Henrik hasn't played over 50 as of yet. That's my point. Will it make a difference for Lundqvist? Who knows. I think it might be, that's all I'm saying.

MisterUnspoken

Vintage
Nov 10, 2002
New York
I see Rangers and Sabres broadcasts all the time, living in CNY, I think both are great talents.

Lundqvist & Miller are great positionally such that they stop shots that are deflected or screened. Both are high relfex guys and that also helps.

Lundqvist has had shutouts into the third more times than I can count this year. He's just sick. Lots of goals scored on Lundqvist are flukes that hit off our own players for whatever reason. I can think of at least 3 instancs where it's bounced off Jason Strudwick (one of our best dmen sadly) and gone in. Not to mentional Roszivals whiff on that popfly last night (god that was terrible).

Miller got robbed of an American goaltending spot that's for damn sure. I'm pretty PO'ed about it to be honest. He gives the US the best chance to win. Miller is going to be an amazing goaltender for years to come as well, but I'm curious about a stat:

Anyone know the goal support each goalie gets?

MisterUnspoken

Vintage
Nov 10, 2002
New York
Fan-of-#9 said:
I'm not trying to discount Henrik's accomplishments. Miller has played 60+ games + playoffs both of the last 2 seasons. Henrik hasn't played over 50 as of yet. That's my point. Will it make a difference for Lundqvist? Who knows. I think it might be, that's all I'm saying.

He's said he'll be able to handle the load (and I'm going to trust him). I'm definitely hoping you are wrong. I think as the season wears on he COULD tire but the AHL is not the NHL either and the same case could be brought against Miller.

ManuelCalavera

La-La-La-Locked Out
Apr 7, 2003
Rochester, NY
Visit site
MisterUnspoken said:
He's said he'll be able to handle the load (and I'm going to trust him). I'm definitely hoping you are wrong. I think as the season wears on he COULD tire but the AHL is not the NHL either and the same case could be brought against Miller.

Listen, Im a Sabres fan and I really like both goalies. Not ready to give a nod one way or another.

But Im really sick of people saying that the AHL is a walk in the park compared to the NHL. Yes, there is more talent in the big league, but at least you get to stay at decent hotels, get chartered flights. Want to try playing 3 games in three nights, busing everywhere you go? I think, all factors considered, a starting goalie's endurance in either league would have to be pretty damn good all things considered. For a skater, the same may not be said as the game is so much faster in the NHL. :teach:

MisterUnspoken

Vintage
Nov 10, 2002
New York
KeyserSoze81 said:
Listen, Im a Sabres fan and I really like both goalies. Not ready to give a nod one way or another.

But Im really sick of people saying that the AHL is a walk in the park compared to the NHL. Yes, there is more talent in the big league, but at least you get to stay at decent hotels, get chartered flights. Want to try playing 3 games in three nights, busing everywhere you go? I think, all factors considered, a starting goalie's endurance in either league would have to be pretty damn good all things considered. For a skater, the same may not be said as the game is so much faster in the NHL. :teach:

Living in Rochester the past 6 years I've been to at least 100 Amerks games and trust me I've seen Miller for a LONG time. He's flat out good. But to say the AHL is like the NHL is crazy.

With that aside, your point is valid and endurance is a key factor. I think both goalies have it and it won't be an issue for either.

BigCanada77

NYR in the Midwest
Jan 16, 2006
Madison, WI
Lundqvist is the Rangers' number 1 goalie, as a rookie, and he has those numbers....Impressive. I'll admit, as a Rangers fan mind you, that Miller is, rather was, spectacular. Correct me if I was wrong but Miller was the #1 before he got hurt. When that happened, New York was ahead of Buffalo, meaning that Lundy was better than Miller. The success of Buffalo is credited to Marty Biron (record breaking consecutive wins), not Ryan Miller. Lundqvist and Jagr are the only reasons NYR are where they are right now (Possibly Prucha, I love him).

Lundqvist > Miller. Its close, but it definately goes to King Henrik.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
BigCanada77 said:
Lundqvist is the Rangers' number 1 goalie, as a rookie, and he has those numbers....Impressive. I'll admit, as a Rangers fan mind you, that Miller is, rather was, spectacular. Correct me if I was wrong but Miller was the #1 before he got hurt. When that happened, New York was ahead of Buffalo, meaning that Lundy was better than Miller. The success of Buffalo is credited to Marty Biron (record breaking consecutive wins), not Ryan Miller. Lundqvist and Jagr are the only reasons NYR are where they are right now (Possibly Prucha, I love him).

First, Miller is a rookie as well!

Second you are absolutely correct that when Miller was hurt NY was ahead of the Sabres.

The Rangers were 6-4-3 for 15 points in 13 games and Buffalo was 7-4-0 for 14 points in 11 games. Quite a lead they accumulated.

While I don't care that you think that Lundqvist is better than Miller, some of your logic for justifiing it is a bit spotty.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
Fan-of-#9 said:

It's a fair point. I've considered that myself. But even if Miller stays strong and Lundqvist fades down the stretch run, it still wouldn't necessarily mean that Miller is a better overall goaltender than Lundqvist. It would just mean that Lundqvist still needs to adjust to the North American schedule. The same would have been said of Miller a few years ago when he was coming out of the NCAA. Longterm, it won't make a difference.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Fan-of-#9 said:
Henrik hasn't played over 50 as of yet. That's my point. Will it make a difference for Lundqvist? Who knows. I think it might be, that's all I'm saying.

Excluding preseason and exhibition games, Lundqvist played 73 games last season.

SEL regular season: 44 GP
SEL playoffs : 14 GP
Team Sweden international play: 15 GP

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
BigCanada77 said:

Miller still is the #1. marty hasn't played much since Ryan's return. His save % since returning is .945. he has played better since returning. So Lundy must be better than Luongo as well since you were ahead of FLorida in the standings. :shakehead As for Marty being the reason for our success, you haven't watched Buff play very much have you. :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->