Ryan McDonagh playing style

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Just for fun, I'd like to know if American d-man prospect Ryan McDonagh could be considered to be a similar player to Ryan Parent? He sounds to me like a very steady, yet unspectacular defensive-minded guy with a physical presence, but very little offensive upside to his game, which is very similar to the type of game Parent plays. Could anyone who has actually seen the guy play confirm that the comparision is indeed valid? Thanks.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Just for fun, I'd like to know if American d-man prospect Ryan McDonagh could be considered to be a similar player to Ryan Parent? He sounds to me like a very steady, yet unspectacular defensive-minded guy with a physical presence, but very little offensive upside to his game, which is very similar to the type of game Parent plays. Could anyone who has actually seen the guy play confirm that the comparision is indeed valid? Thanks.

That is a pretty solid description of him. There really isn't anything that is going to knock your socks off. His draft status is more a testament to his solid overall game than it is because he is great in any one area. He may have more upside offensively than your description but otherwise I feel you describe him well.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
I think espn compared him to keith carney... From what i read and saw he will be a shutdown guy with ok offensive upside 20-30pts play a physical game but not overly physical (maybe a la scott hannan) bring leadership to his team. Real solid and safe pick IMO

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I think espn compared him to keith carney... From what i read and saw he will be a shutdown guy with ok offensive upside 20-30pts play a physical game but not overly physical (maybe a la scott hannan) bring leadership to his team. Real solid and safe pick IMO

hannan was the first name that came to mind right before you wrote it. after not overly physichal he was in my head.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
I make a little prediction right here my hfboards friends...with the 12th overall pick the montreal canadiens selected from cretin-dernam h.s and futur wisconsin badgers Ryan McDonagh...i really believe it he's the kind of players habs management like

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I make a little prediction right here my hfboards friends...with the 12th overall pick the montreal canadiens selected from cretin-dernam h.s and futur wisconsin badgers Ryan McDonagh...i really believe it he's the kind of players habs management like

it might happen, but there is a chanse he is allready gone when the habs pick.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
True but i believe alzner,ellerby,shattenkirk will go before mcdonagh so thats why i expect him to be there when the habs turn come

i think so to. those 3 guys are my top 3 d-men aswell. but i have found out that a lot can happen in this draft. we will just have to wait and see.:)

the only thing i know for sure is that the habs are definitely getting a very good prospect;)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

not that I have a problem with anyone being compared to Keith Carney, but I think that is a little off IMO. Keith is a great player who has had a nice long NHL career. But, Mcdonagh has a little more offense then that. I saw a post of similiar to Mclaren and I like that...I think Mara is a good comparision too. The kid has some offensive talent, shouldnt be far off the 45-55 point totals at his peak. Again, I'm not ripping that comparision, I hope he can have as long a career as Carney, and be able to play defense like Keith has had for his career. Just see a little more offense out of him then that. If anyone should remind you of Carney, its Mark Mitera of the Ducks. I think that could be THE clone of Keith Carney for the next decade plus.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
True but i believe
Alzner , Ellerby, Shattenkirk will go before mcdonagh so thats why i expect him to be there when the habs turn come

Alzner will go within first 10 picks (99,7% sure!, IMO)

Early Favorites (1-7):
-Patrick Kane
-James VanRiemsdyk
-Kyle Turris
-Jakub Voracek
-Alexei Cherepanov
-Sam Gagner
-Karl Alzner
------------------------- --------------------------

(8-15...IMO):
-Zach Hamill
-Logan Couture
-Lars Eller
-Angelo Esposito
-Brandon Sutter
-McDonagh
-Shattenkirk
-Keaton Ellerby

------------------------ -----------------------
(16-20 IMO)
Gillies
Petrecki
Mayorov
Backlund
Sweatt

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
I've heard and read him being comparable (playing style-wise) to Chris Chelios, not sure if anyone actually agrees with that assessment but just thought I'd throw that out there.

BTW, I think MarkovforNorris' is pretty accurate but I think he's got a little more offensive potential than that. Just my opinion (and yes, I have seen him play).

Randall Graves*

not that I have a problem with anyone being compared to Keith Carney, but I think that is a little off IMO. Keith is a great player who has had a nice long NHL career. But, Mcdonagh has a little more offense then that. I saw a post of similiar to Mclaren and I like that...I think Mara is a good comparision too. The kid has some offensive talent, shouldnt be far off the 45-55 point totals at his peak. Again, I'm not ripping that comparision, I hope he can have as long a career as Carney, and be able to play defense like Keith has had for his career. Just see a little more offense out of him then that. If anyone should remind you of Carney, its Mark Mitera of the Ducks. I think that could be THE clone of Keith Carney for the next decade plus.
Two differences I have seen between Mitera/Carney.

Mitera will hit guys more and he has a hard slap shot but he doesn't use it enough. If anyone can convince him to shoot then you are looking at a guy that can play on one of your power play units but you can also tell he's not that comfortable in the offensive zone handling the puck. Additionally Mitera has a longer reach, McDonagh is closer to Carneys size and in this draft if you end up with a good 2/3 dman you should be pretty happy.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
Just to clarify, I believe it is pronounced Mic (as in mcdonald's) dun (like the word "done") ah (like "say ahh" not A like the letter).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->