Ryan Malone

Status
Not open for further replies.

iagreewithidiots

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Malone has all the tools to be a great power foward. He kills penalties, plays on the power play. Hes got good hands, some very good power moves. Other than Fleury hes been the Pens most impressive rookie.

Its too early to say he is the next Kevin Stevens but its not too early to say hes got potential.

Pensfan66

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He sure has looked awesome. He's the first power forward type we have had in Pittsburgh since Kevin Stevens. From the way the he has played it looks like down the road he's going to be better then Stevens. So the Leclair comparison is not far off at all. But some are saying he riminds them off a young Clark Gillies as well, both not bad.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Pensfan66 said:
He sure has looked awesome. He's the first power forward type we have had in Pittsburgh since Kevin Stevens. From the way the he has played it looks like down the road he's going to be better then Stevens. So the Leclair comparison is not far off at all. But some are saying he riminds them off a young Clark Gillies as well, both not bad.

Yeah, a lot of people in the Penguin's organization and media mention Clark Gillies, but I never saw him play much, so I can't make that comparison. I have also heard LeClair, Primeau and a poor-man's Bertuzzi mentioned.

Malone is a big (6'4), strong, player with no real weaknesses. He is a good skater, has great hands, some slick moves, excellent vision and hockey sense, and already is a polished 2-way player and PKer. He has shown flashes of being able to be a dominant force on the ice and some game-breaking ability.

He just has to gain experience and consistency at this level, but all the tools are there.

Rico Im Ur Fata

Jun 23, 2003
Hong Kong
jmelm said:
Yeah, a lot of people in the Penguin's organization and media mention Clark Gillies, but I never saw him play much, so I can't make that comparison. I have also heard LeClair, Primeau and a poor-man's Bertuzzi mentioned.

Malone is a big (6'4), strong, player with no real weaknesses. He is a good skater, has great hands, some slick moves, excellent vision and hockey sense, and already is a polished 2-way player and PKer. He has shown flashes of being able to be a dominant force on the ice and some game-breaking ability.

He just has to gain experience and consistency at this level, but all the tools are there.

Not to rain on your parade, as I am a fellow Pens fan, but lets not get too carried away.

Similar things were said about Bates Battaglia, Wayne Primeau, Chad Kilger, and countless other potential "power forwards". How did those optimistic assessment turn out?

I am not saying Malone is a sure-fire bust, not at all. He is a big, strong, and very smart hockey player already, and the skating ability and 2-way game he plays are already pretty solid for a rookie. But he is still very rough and remains a very hopeful project. I honestly don't think he is that close to greatness that us fans can already see some LeClair, Bertuzzi, or (gasp!) HOFer Gilles in him. He might be imitating thir styles of play, but he is far from duplicating yet.

I have high hopes for Malone, which is why i am unwilling to boggle him with unrealistic (for now) expectations and comparisons to the already established stars of the game.

Just my 2 cents

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
tallpenguin said:
Not to rain on your parade, as I am a fellow Pens fan, but lets not get too carried away.

Similar things were said about Bates Battaglia, Wayne Primeau, Chad Kilger, and countless other potential "power forwards". How did those optimistic assessment turn out?

I am not saying Malone is a sure-fire bust, not at all. He is a big, strong, and very smart hockey player already, and the skating ability and 2-way game he plays are already pretty solid for a rookie. But he is still very rough and remains a very hopeful project. I honestly don't think he is that close to greatness that us fans can already see some LeClair, Bertuzzi, or (gasp!) HOFer Gilles in him. He might be imitating thir styles of play, but he is far from duplicating yet.

I have high hopes for Malone, which is why i am unwilling to boggle him with unrealistic (for now) expectations and comparisons to the already established stars of the game.

Just my 2 cents

Firstly, I believe it is a mistake that Malone is labeled as a "power forward" at this point in time. This is fairly inaccurate, in my opinion. From what we have seen from Malone this year, he plays more of a finesse game most of the time. Only sometimes does he showcase the "power game".

A lot of people (wrongly) think that just because someone is over 6'3 and 200 lbs, that they are a power forward.

Malone definitely has the potential to play a "power forward's" game, but does not do so consistently at this point. He is naturally most effective when he does use his size and strength to his advantage, but has to realize to do so more often.

And as far as Wayne Primeau and some of the other guys you mentioned, this is once again what happens when people overhype certain players or mis-judge what certain players' style of play actually is.

I have seen Primeau play 200 times, and I have NEVER seen him show the vision, hockey sense, stickhandling, or playmaking ability that we have seen from Malone. In fact, Craig Patrick has even talked about the possibility of converting Malone to centre for these reasons.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
jmelm said:
Firstly, I believe it is a mistake that Malone is labeled as a "power forward" at this point in time. This is fairly inaccurate, in my opinion. From what we have seen from Malone this year, he plays more of a finesse game most of the time. Only sometimes does he showcase the "power game".

A lot of people (wrongly) think that just because someone is over 6'3 and 200 lbs, that they are a power forward.

Malone definitely has the potential to play a "power forward's" game, but does not do so consistently at this point. He is naturally most effective when he does use his size and strength to his advantage, but has to realize to do so more often.

And as far as Wayne Primeau and some of the other guys you mentioned, this is once again what happens when people overhype certain players or mis-judge what certain players' style of play actually is.

I have seen Primeau play 200 times, and I have NEVER seen him show the vision, hockey sense, stickhandling, or playmaking ability that we have seen from Malone. In fact, Craig Patrick has even talked about the possibility of converting Malone to centre for these reasons.

Great points. It always surprises me when people label Jason Allison, or even Joe Thornton a "power forward", when really, their games are finesse oriented. A couple other prospects that are similar is Hugh Jessiman and Brian Boyle.

Big Kov

Sep 16, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
U are quite right about Allison, Jessiman and Boyle. But Thorton, although is a great finesse player, does play a very pyhical game (altho more so last year than this year).

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
He showed some great things, but recently has been in a little bit of a slump. I think he'll just need to stay consistent, which is understandable right now because he's basically a rookie fresh from college.

He's a surprising impressive rookie who has shown some great strides and things so far.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Evilo said:
Better than Stevens?
Wow I don't think so....

Agreed...he'd have to be about the best power forward ever to be better than Stevens in his prime. End of career Stevens maybe, but not prime Stevens...

Malone is a big, tough, feerless kid who plays what can best be described as old time hockey. I'll compare him to a poor man's LeClair as I have never seen Gillies play.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
The_Wiz said:
Malone for Rookie of the Year ? Can i get a Hallelujah ??? ;)

Guys I think maybe we are going over board here throwing names out like Bertuzzi, LeClair and Stevens.
Right now I see Malone developing into a bit more offensively inclined Trent Klatt and there is nothing wrong with that kind of player.

His game has no weaknesses??? Comon guys, he's a rookie. His game has plenty of weaknesses, the biggest of which is the problem that almost all rookies go through. Consistency. He is also getting worn down recently and hasn't played as physical as he once did. I also think he needs to work on his foot speed.
The guy isnt the complete player alot of people are saying he is.
Alot of you are being homers.
He is a good player and Im glad the Pens have him and not Master Bates Battaglia, but lets get real for a second.
I also like Koltsov alot better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad