Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
From Puck Daddy

Ryan Malone gets tryout with Wild, apparently not retired

It was reported in May 2016 that Malone “quietly filed his retirement papers” to end his 11-year NHL career, and appeared to indicate to the Tribune Review that life had gone on. “I’m lucky enough that I got paid a little bit of money. I’m thankful for everyone who helped me along the road. Now’s my time to start to giving back. I’m looking forward to the next chapter, to help some other kids to enjoy this game and help them be respectful people,” he said.

In 2017, he got back on the ice. He played in a Penguins vs. Flyers alumni game in January. Earlier this month, Malone was a coach in Minnesota’s “Da Beauty League,” where NHL players compete in 4-on-4 no-hit games to stay loose.

Maybe he felt the itch. Maybe this has been in his mind for a bit. Whatever the case, Ryan Malone is headed to an NHL camp next month on a professional tryout contract, as the Minnesota Wild announced that the 37-year-old winger will attend their training camp.

Yeah, we didn’t see that coming either.

Who knows? Maybe the feel like he can show Jason Zucker a thing or two. Maybe they wanted someone in camp that could talk about the 1980s with Matt Cullen. Most likely, GM Chuck Fletcher is doing a solid for an old friend from his Penguins days. Michael Russo makes the point that an AHL-only contract for Malone would actually make him Olympic eligible.

What a chance for Ryan Malone. Here’s hoping he doesn’t blow it.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I hope he's still good enough to play AHL hockey. If he is, he's probably good enough for the Olympic squad, and if he can improve that team, I'll be stoked. I care more about that team than I do the Iowa Wild.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Uhc8QV9.gif

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
He looked pretty done a couple of years ago. Just can't see him being much of a factor anymore at any level. I hope even without NHL players to choose from, USA would be able to ice at least a dozen forwards better than Malone.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
He looked pretty done a couple of years ago. Just can't see him being much of a factor anymore at any level. I hope even without NHL players to choose from, USA would be able to ice at least a dozen forwards better than Malone.

I'd be disappointed if Kunin couldn't beat him out.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

Have to agree. Honestly what does he plan on bringing to the table that the younger kids can't do themselves?

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Seems impossible that he would make the Wild, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they give him an AHL contract offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad