Recalled/Assigned: Ryan Lomberg

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Thought Lomberg callup might just be another sort of encouragement bonus. AHL allstar break overlaps with NHL one. I’d throw him in though, get him a game

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Although he was just reassigned to the Heat, I thought he had a helluva game last night. That's exactly the type of player we need on the 4th line provided he can keep it up.

Also, great hair.

Good game, agree on the hair, but usually the problem with his kind of 4th liners is that they are good or even great in their role when they are playing for the roster spot. The minute they get comfortable the intensity drops. Hate to say it, but Hathaway has suffered a bit of this lately.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Although he was just reassigned to the Heat, I thought he had a helluva game last night. That's exactly the type of player we need on the 4th line provided he can keep it up.

Also, great hair.

I remember first seeing him a few years ago at training camp and hoping one day he might play for the Flames. Was very cool to see it actually happen. Thought he did great.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I remember first seeing him a few years ago at training camp and hoping one day he might play for the Flames. Was very cool to see it actually happen. Thought he did great.

He's a good dude & him laughing at Kassian is magic. He looks like a f***ing throwback from the 90s.

My only issue is how much tweener filler we have on this team:
Magiapane, Hathaway, Hrivik, Lomberg, Lazar, Stajan, Brouwer.

I mean, those last two aren't filler because they're vets and have been given contracts to represent top 6 forwards... but hey. I'd love to see Brouwer shot out of a cannon into the sun. Stajan sitting in the pressbox... He's too low IQ these days. He's legit our worst penalty taker on this team.

That all being said, loved what he brought, and I think he's a good energy guy you could cycle in/out of the lineup in need of extra toughness. He can skate, which helps.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
He's a good dude & him laughing at Kassian is magic. He looks like a ****ing throwback from the 90s.

I mean, those last two aren't filler because they're vets and have been given contracts to represent top 6 forwards... but hey. I'd love to see Brouwer shot out of a cannon into the sun. Stajan sitting in the pressbox... He's too low IQ these days. He's legit our worst penalty taker on this team.

That all being said, loved what he brought, and I think he's a good energy guy you could cycle in/out of the lineup in need of extra toughness. He can skate, which helps.

Agreed regarding our tweeners. Some of that will clear out in the offseason though. Stajan, and maybe Hrivik or Hathaway gone depending on how things unfold.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Agreed regarding our tweeners. Some of that will clear out in the offseason though. Stajan, and maybe Hrivik or Hathaway gone depending on how things unfold.

I think Mangi's more than filler in the near future; I thought he looked good... but he's simply not ready. Especially not in a 4th line checking role playing with plugs. I really think if they gave him some middle 6 time, he'd produce for us... He's too talented not to.

I'm kind of done with the Hathaway experiment personally. That's a energy/tweener if I've ever seen one. Not playing with a line you desperately need scoring from.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I think Mangi's more than filler in the near future; I thought he looked good... but he's simply not ready. Especially not in a 4th line checking role playing with plugs. I really think if they gave him some middle 6 time, he'd produce for us... He's too talented not to.

I'm kind of done with the Hathaway experiment personally. That's a energy/tweener if I've ever seen one. Not playing with a line you desperately need scoring from.

Mangiapane to me looks like hopefully a 3rd line guy, who could maybe play on a 2nd line when needed. He needs more seasoning though for sure.

Hathaway I am still pretty happy with. I think the main issue is that he isn't being used exclusively on the 4th line. He also isn't a guy who should be drawing in every game in my opinion.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

Same. He's really gone quiet since those first 10 games or so. Personally, I'd like to see Tre/Conroy talk to Poirier, see if he can step up his game over the next week or so, and look at giving him a shot. He's fast and he can shoot.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
He's a good dude & him laughing at Kassian is magic. He looks like a ****ing throwback from the 90s.

I don't fully disagree about turfing Brouwer, but I still hold that Stajan would be a decent winger vs a centre man in the same vein as Bennett to wing. He can definitely still help out on centre man duties, but I think Stajan will continue to be in the league at decent contracts by doing swing wing.

Lomberg's Cheshire cat grin is a thing of magic, I agree. Combine it with his good looks and a Tkachuk friendship tour internship... oh boy.

A serious problem though is the lack of centres in Stockton. We really need to load up on those types of guys. I don't care if they're guys like Vey, Shore, Knight etc. but IMO we need better than what's in Stockton at the moment. It's probably our only true prospect weakness now IMO. All other positions has adequate talent to bank on. Maybe excess D for excess C?

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
All Hathaway needs to do is figure out how to keep the intensity in his game on a consistent basis, if he did he'd be a fixture on the 3rd/4th line. Unfortunately he's starting to take shifts off now and then.

It is a really tough role to play with that intensity every game. Not many in the NHL can do it. Players that do it are more than bottom liners.

We saw Jooris play like that throughout his rookie season, and he wasn't able to continue it next season. I think Hathaway is playing fine, he took a dumb penalty last night but what he shows every game is the ability to protect the puck and play along the boards, and play well defensively.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
A serious problem though is the lack of centres in Stockton. We really need to load up on those types of guys. I don't care if they're guys like Vey, Shore, Knight etc. but IMO we need better than what's in Stockton at the moment. It's probably our only true prospect weakness now IMO. All other positions has adequate talent to bank on. Maybe excess D for excess C?

Agreed. I wonder if Jamie Lundmark would want to come back :laugh:

Ben Street, Max Reinhart, don't give a shit who. Stockton needs center help.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Within the next few seasons, Dube, Lindstrom, Ruzicka and Phillips could/should make Stockton.

True, but they need help right now. Losing Jankowski and Hrivik killed their center depth. Even if it's trading a late pick for a career AHLer, so be it.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Within the next few seasons, Dube, Lindstrom, Ruzicka and Phillips could/should make Stockton.

Still need a Stajan replacement + injury call up for the big club. Those 4 guys probably are Stockton regulars, not quite ready to be called up yet in the next few seasons.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I don't think he'd clear. Signed for another year at a cheap rate, someone would take the chance on him I think.

1 goal in the last 80 games? 7 pts in the last 2 yrs?

Is there something to lose?

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
1 goal in the last 80 games? 7 pts in the last 2 yrs?

Is there something to lose?

a 2nd round pick :laugh:

In a world where Freddie Hamilton was claimed, I could see a team taking a chance on Lazar. Fact is, he's a C/RW and a right handed shot, only 22 years old. For these same reasons, I'd like to keep him. I'd bet someone would take a chance on him if it didn't cost anything. Try to send him down towards the start of next season.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Lomberg-Stajan-Hathaway is the 4th line tonight. Will be interesting to see how it works, Lomberg still should be in the mood to show he wants to play in NHL.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Lomberg-Stajan-Hathaway is the 4th line tonight. Will be interesting to see how it works, Lomberg still should be in the mood to show he wants to play in NHL.

ugh

Not sure what the point is with that line. I guess maybe they can be an energy line but tough to do that when your center struggles to get up and down the ice.

No real threat to score, I know folks hate Lazar but even if he isn't finishing them at least he helps create chances, none of these 3 have an ounce of offensive ability.

I know GG will almost never sit Stajan (or Brouwer) but put Lazar at center on that line and it makes so much more sense as a balls-out forechecking energy line for 5-8 minutes. I can see a line like that making so much more sense and actually having a role to help the team. This line seems like a line that I hope gets off the ice as fast as possible every time it is out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->