Player Discussion Ryan Kesler

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Two reasons why Getzlaf/Kesler played so much last year:

1) Because Carlyle
2) Because Antoine Vermette is a liability offensively as the 3C. You have to get someone with more of a chance to score in this role if you want to have a chance at resting Getzlaf and Kesler....Hoping Steel can soon be that guy

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
Rooting for Kesbae.

Sucks for BM and RC that excuses are lining up for them.. injuries.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Kesler had a major hip surgery in 2011, went through a similar recovery and said all the same things back then, but permanently lost a significant step because of it. It's difficult imagine any other scenario here especially considering he's much older now.

He just lost a lot of motion in that area, became way more stiff-hipped, and from what I've seen this season after the latest surgery, that's gotten way worse. Tough to see that improving much with a healthy summer, at least it didn't the last time.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Yeah, I don't think that's much of a surprise to anybody following the team. And I do fear Randy and Bob are smiling at each that they have the perfect excuse to ignore the other real problems with this team while they blame it all on too many injuries to too many key players. :nopity:

Reactions: Duck Off

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
1 point in last 11 games ; 2 points in last 15 games. On pace for 25 points for a full season.

He`s an ok defensive minded 3d C this season. I do believe he will be better next year (not sure how much) but it doesn`t change the fact that he will probably not be much better this year.
So about those playoffs...

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
To be fair to Kesler, he's had a ton of chances but just hasn't been able to convert them - even then he's on pace for 16-17 goals on 82 game pace as it stands which isn't bad at all for a guy coming off a serious surgery. It may be a cop out, but Silf and Cogs have been absolute offensive black-holes this season - since the turn of the year Silf has 4 ES goals in 28 games and Cogs has 1 ES goal in 26 games. Granted Kesler has 4 ES goals in 27 games which comes out to 12-13 goals over 82 games (16/17: 14, 15/16: 15, 14/15: 14) so he isn't a million miles off his usual ES totals based on previous seasons. Doesn't help the 2nd PP unit is probably the worst we've had in years too (Kesler is to blame somewhat I suppose, but I have never seen him as someone who drives the play on the PP personally).

Yes would like to see a bit more offensive production from Kesler, but IMO points don't tell the whole story given Cogs and Silf are having pretty dire years offensively. Given where he is in his 'recovery' I think he's played pretty well, and he seems to have played with an edge the last handful of games which is good to see.

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
I really believe that Kes is trying to make up for his lack of mobility by being extra annoying and aggressive. I also believe he's fighting more now because he knows he's not a difference maker on the ice at this point. I'm hoping the summer goes a long way towards healing his hips.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He has had some pretty good scoring chances the last 5 games, just can't finish.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Kesler Reflects on a Difficult Season for Him and the Ducks

"I cut 20 pounds before playoffs just to get a little extra pop in my step, and I thought it helped tremendously," said Kesler, who is listed at 6-2, 202 pounds. "You do it smartly, and you do it over a period of time, it helps. It wasn't like I stopped eating, but I was doing the work at home and off the ice that no one else sees, and it fell off pretty easily. I'll probably play at this weight next year."

So we'll see a lighter Kes next year. Also depends how much more he has to heal to be at 100% and if he can get there by the beginning of the season. But possibly faster than he was 2 years ago, but perhaps easier to knock off the puck and less body weight to push guys around defensively.

What are your thoughts on this?

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013

"I cut 20 pounds before playoffs just to get a little extra pop in my step, and I thought it helped tremendously," said Kesler, who is listed at 6-2, 202 pounds. "You do it smartly, and you do it over a period of time, it helps. It wasn't like I stopped eating, but I was doing the work at home and off the ice that no one else sees, and it fell off pretty easily. I'll probably play at this weight next year."

So we'll see a lighter Kes next year. Also depends how much more he has to heal to be at 100% and if he can get there by the beginning of the season. But possibly faster than he was 2 years ago, but perhaps easier to knock off the puck and less body weight to push guys around defensively.

I'm still skeptical of him getting his speed back given the severity of his hip injury even if he drops weight. But if it can work I think it's a good thing, Kesler needs his speed more than pure strength to make his puck hounding game work. But I'm not holding my breath. He could very well end up weaker and still slow.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

Something isn’t right there. It’s not healthy to lose 20 pounds in 30 days. Sure, it’s doable. But how he could do so without becoming weaker and having a negative impact on his energy level is questionable to me.

ZzZz

Dec 22, 2017
Something isn’t right there. It’s not healthy to lose 20 pounds in 30 days. Sure, it’s doable. But how he could do so without becoming weaker and having a negative impact on his energy level is questionable to me.

Water weight. Speaks more about his conditioning before that 30 day period than anything, and also confirms that he has an athletic body type. I personally have lost that kind of weight in pretty much the same time span, but it's after going several months of eating oily foods, drinking lots of beer and soda, and not working out at all. I understand Kesler not being able to work out much what with the hip surgery, but I would bet his diet was far from that of a professional athlete for some period of time.

Last edited:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I don`t expect him to ever again be a Selke finalist, but he was one as recent as last year.

He should be better and at some respectable level after more recovering.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I’m expecting a 40-45 point guy who is good defensively going forward. Halfway between his 58 point season last season and this season.

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
That goal. Even I had so much thoughts going through my head when he did that, can`t even imagine what he felt.

I didn`t saw all game tho, how did he look in other areas? He had 2nd most ice time (only behind Steel).

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Assisted on a Cogliano Power play goal o_O that was the game winner today against the Blues.

How has he looked to you since returning to the lineup?

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Assist was great! He also played over 20 mins but he wasn`t taking the crucial faceoffs, Rico was doing that instead, even when Kes was on the ice. So he obviously is not the old Kes.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Assist was great! He also played over 20 mins but he wasn`t taking the crucial faceoffs, Rico was doing that instead, even when Kes was on the ice. So he obviously is not the old Kes.

Which is very odd... If he's not 100% bench him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->