Ryan Johansen's slow start.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I'm getting pretty damn tired of the skate in slowly over the line and then wait for somebody to get open so I can pass it which never happens anyways because he's so slow that the puck gets knocked off his stick while waiting.

Go in with some damn force and make a play instead of waiting for somebody else to make a play for you.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Johansen is probably one of the 2 or 3 players I'm *not* worried about. He's putting up points...who cares if he's not scoring more goals? James Neal is on pace for over 30 goals again, in large part to Johansen.

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
these last couple of posters are nuts. THIS GUY IS A TOTAL DOG. SOFT AS BUTTER. Seriously! Does a lot of ballet out on the ice. If you're at a game and your seat (as mine does) has good sight lines, WATCH RYAN JOHANSEN. Lumbers over the boards, coasts in a particular direction. Will occasionally stop and do a pirouette, always trails the puck carrier when playing on the defensive side of the puck. If you bought a game worn jersey, it's pretty much guaranteed there will be NO stick or board marks because over the course of 60 minutes he will generally not touch anyone on the opposing team. Tonight he took three minor penalties because someone probably showed him my twitter feed, where his pic (a tub of butter) comes up daily.

Mediocre on the faceoff. AND... dead last in NHL faceoff percentage on the PP. (going into tonight's game: Won 5, Lost 19. Yikes)

16 games, 1 goal, 8 assists... Power Play 1 goal, 4 assists. Even Strength 0 goals, 4 assists. TAKE AWAY OPENING NIGHT... 15 games, 1 goal, 5 assists. ICK. Even Brad Richardson can claim better than that!

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THIS IS YOUR NUMBER ONE CENTER, worth giving up Seth Jones for? Because he scored 33 goals 4 years ago for a wretched Columbus team with a crappy work ethic?

you think if Poile called up Jarmo Kekalainen and offered Johansen to CBJ for Jones, he'd lose hearing in his phone ear from the roar of laughter he'd have to endure.

GUY IS A DOG. Talent? Sure, some. Size? Sure, some. Heart? I know there's one beating in his chest, but he's beating the Preds for about 6M a year.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Transplant is right. He is lazy. And the attitude issue isn't going away either. I suspect he is already looking for his next team. One that will allow him to skate around yet still win. The sad part is we don't have a #1 C in our system. We would have to suck massively to have a shot at drafting one.

FFWRX

Unregistered User
Feb 12, 2007
Greenbrier, TN
Unquestionably he is. He's not shooting nearly as much anymore and I have no idea why but that's got to stop being a thing. Yeah, Neal is an awesome guy to be working with, but if you want folks to take that line seriously you have to keep them honest by SHOOTING THE ****ING PUCK. :rant:

I'm not sure what caused this pass-first-second-third-and-always thing of his, but it is so not his game. His best years were when he had over 200 shots by season's end.

He has been hanging out with Ribeiro.

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
Transplant is right. He is lazy. And the attitude issue isn't going away either. I suspect he is already looking for his next team. One that will allow him to skate around yet still win. The sad part is we don't have a #1 C in our system. We would have to suck massively to have a shot at drafting one.

It does seem your #1 center should be higher than #150 in the NHL in points. Johansen seems like one of those teases, like Jay Cutler in the NFL. Has everything you like about the position but just doesn't seem to be The Guy you think he should be.

As much as I liked the trade at the time, I would rather have Seth Jones at this time.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
you think if Poile called up Jarmo Kekalainen and offered Johansen to CBJ for Jones, he'd lose hearing in his phone ear from the roar of laughter he'd have to endure.

That has more to do with the state of the blueline up here (read: it's Zach and Seth's world, and we're all just living in it) and how incredibly jaw-droppingly amazing Wennberg has started playing, rather than Joey's current malaise per se... but yeah, that would be the reaction.

* * *​
He has been hanging out with Ribeiro.

Started the year we traded him. :dunno:

Last night looked more like the Joey I remember, so maybe he'll get a handle back on things.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
And Subban just to get him going. And Neal to get him scoring more. And we need a thread asking why Wilson can only produce in the playoffs. One more for Rinne might help.

I think that about covers it.

Not surprising in the case of Subban. He always has been a slow starter.

I remember 2 or 3 years ago just after Subban won his Norris Giordano had like 10 more points than Subban at the beginning of the season and Subban haters in Montreal were like Giordano is so much better. Then december happened and Subban started to slowly catch up to Giordano. When Giordano injured himself his lead over Subban was nil.

November 30th 2014
Giordano had 25 points in 25 games
Subban had 14 points in 25 games

January 31st 2014

Giordano had 41 points in 49 games
Subban had 32 points in 47 games

March 1st 2014
Giordano had 48 points in 61 games
Subban had 48 points in 62 games

Last year in December and January Subban had 17 points in 25 games -5. The closest guy to him was Patch with 12 points in 25 games -14. He was literally the only guy doing something while the team was collapsing. Must have been very frustrating for him to watch this team collapse. He tried very hard but nobody was helping him. Hope it'll work for him in Nashville. He's a special guy for sure and can get on the nerves of some people but he's a very good hockey player and i think Subban haters are very quick to call this a steal for us.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
I am quickly falling out of love with 92. He is so soft on the boards. Always trying to kick the puck and stand back from the scrum and fish it out of someones skates with his stick. He won't use his large frame to battle. He is constantly trying to pick people's pocket on defense and while it may work 1/5 times on a stick lift, the other 4 times he is getting beat to the net. Stay between your man and the net!

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
You can all talk about Johansens shortcomings , and Im not saying there aren't some concerns....

But, he is still a better option than anyone we have or could have traded for in that position.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
You can all talk about Johansens shortcomings , and Im not saying there aren't some concerns....

But, he is still a better option than anyone we have or could have traded for in that position.

Agree with this.

Also agree with some of the criticism. My opinion is it boils down to what we were told from the Columbus folks - he hasn't learned how to be a true professional yet. He doesn't put forth the necessary work and doesn't understand getting in those battles and blocking those shots and going to the net are all part of being a great NHL player. He still thinks he's the top dog in junior and can be the best player just on ability.

Until he realizes the great ones have his skills combined with the work ethic of guys who had no business in the league, he'll remain a player that does not realize his potential.

All that said, I'm glad we have him and hope we see his potential realized at some point in the future.

Last edited:

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
As a whole, Joey is the best center on the team and we know this but he's starting to annoy me. In his prime, Legwand used to look lazy because his skating was effortless. Joey currently looks effortless because he looks like he puts in no effort. Ribeiro looks like Arvidsson compared to him sometimes. He seems immature and easily rattled. Then when he is rattled his body language is awful. He's not physical at all. I know it's probably overreaction but all I can comment on is what I see in front of me. I don't know if it's the team struggling compared to last season or what it is but he looks disinterested.

Last edited:

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Can't comment on his game as I don't follow Preds BUT I CAN say that without a doubt in a one second time frame last night in Ottawa he did something an 8 yearold boy will remember for a lifetime . As he was leaving ice Ryan passed his stick to my son you was reaching over the railing simply looking for a high five.. Oh to see the look on my kids face ... Lol. Thanks Ryan!!

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Can't comment on his game as I don't follow Preds BUT I CAN say that without a doubt in a one second time frame last night in Ottawa he did something an 8 yearold boy will remember for a lifetime . As he was leaving ice Ryan passed his stick to my son you was reaching over the railing simply looking for a high five.. Oh to see the look on my kids face ... Lol. Thanks Ryan!!
Very cool. Thanks for sharing that.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Agree with this.

Also agree with some of the criticism. My opinion is it boils down to what we were told from the Columbus folks - he hasn't learned how to be a true professional yet.

Looking more and more likely, unfortunately. I'd been really hoping that wasn't the case (I got into a lot of arguments with other Jackets fans over that theory before the trade went through), but... :(

All that said, I'm glad we have him and hope we see his potential realized at some point in the future.

Likewise. If he can't be helping my #1 team, he'd better be helping my #2 team. ;)

* * *​

That, at least, is awesome to hear. :)

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I've seen plenty of players at this time of year taking things down a notch. It's a marathon and not a sprint. As long as he shows up when it counts the most, this whole thread is bull ****.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I'll leave this here, if he weren't hustling and putting in the effort he wouldn't be on the PK. You can tell who a coach trusts by who he puts on the PK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad