Confirmed with Link: Ryan Huska and Geoff Ward named as Assistant Coaches

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Will be interesting to see how we do. Especially the PP. Man, anything should be better than what we got this year.

Nov 24, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
I actually really like these hirings. Husky has done a good job developing our d-men in the A, and we could use a new coach there to get our offensive prospects going. And anything over Cameron will help our PP.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Pretty fantastic decision to give our AHL coach a kick at things. He'll be familiar with a lot of the Heat graduates that will undoubtedly see time with the Flames this year.

Ward is a guy I know nothing about but anything is better than Cameron.

Overall I'm pleased.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
On Huska:
Husk was going to get an opportunity with somebody this summer,'' says Peters. "I think that was pretty obvious. Popular guy. A guy I've known from his days in the Western Hockey League. I've coached against him there, ton of respect for his development of defencemen.

It's a Who's Who of D-men that have come through Kelowna for a long time. So he'll help develop our defencemen here and obviously provides a pipeline of information for the guys in Stockton close to making our team. And I believe we have a lot of guys who are going to push."

On Ward:
"Really excited when I met with Geoff and we went over our (PP) personnel and what he's going to be able to do with the group,'' says Peters. "When we talked, we were on a lot of the same pages.

On the hiring process:
"Lot of phone calls to different coaches,'' Peters says of the process. "Guys see jobs open and express interest, which is understandable.

On our play style in the upcoming season
The type of team Peters envisions is modelled after the two still playing as June beckons.

"What Vegas does in this final, win or lose, will make people step back and think. But the game was getting faster and faster anyway. They're just continuing that.

"We want to play fast. A real up-tempo game. Quick in those 15-to-20-foot foot races.
RIGHT MEN FOR THE JOB

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
On our play style in the upcoming season:

The type of team Peters envisions is modelled after the two still playing as June beckons.

"What Vegas does in this final, win or lose, will make people step back and think. But the game was getting faster and faster anyway. They're just continuing that.

"We want to play fast. A real up-tempo game. Quick in those 15-to-20-foot foot races.

Then we better sign some guys who are fleet of foot because the current edition of the Flames is not a very fast one :laugh:

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Then we better sign some guys who are fleet of foot because the current edition of the Flames is not a very fast one :laugh:

I know just the UFA!

paul-byron-2018-45.jpg

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Geoff Ward on the 960:

- Intended to stay with NJ, but Treliving and Peters met with him to get him on board

- Coached against Peters at the Worlds, is their only connection.

- Did go through the process of an interview with Treliving in the HC job prior to the hiring of Glen Gulutzan.

- On player relations: says you have to be a genuine person to the players, being true to your style, and establishing relationships with all of your players, especially on a personal level. This comes from his teaching background. Work with each other on and off the ice.

- Asked about having the same responsibilities as AC from NJ to Calgary? Says that everyone needs to contribute, and as a coach you need to challenge the players to do their best. Says he needs to work with the power play and making in game adjustments, much like he did in New Jersey and Boston.

- Philosophy on PP: Look at the strengths of your players. The biggest thing that he's always thought of, is you need to make the opposing goaltender work. Will give some players the chance to play on the PP that did not really get the chance to and could perhaps earn a spot on the PP. What's interesting about the PP is that if it's hot it could be better and if it's not it can be better. Always room for improvement.

- Has already thought of certain players that have a good skill-set that should be utilized on the PP. Looking at strengths and talking to the players and having their input on how the PP can be better will help too.

- The people Ward can work with and the upcoming challenge is the reason of him switching teams. Thanks NJ for what they did for him, but he's ready for the new challenge to getting the Flames successful and building a culture here.

- Aspirations to be a HC? It's more about the relationships, team dynamics, winning, and the culture than having a HC job.

- How the hockey player has changed through his time as a coach? Hockey was a different game ten years ago. The expectations of the players were much different back then. Nowadays, the relationships with the players and how they are being treated are needed a lot more with the hockey players now. The hockey players now need to be let known what they need to do and ensured that the coach needs them and their strengths.

- Teams need to play extremely fast and high paced now. Transitions, rushes, moving the puck, supporting the attack, etc. Trying to get that here in Calgary. Watching the SCF can help show at how fast the game is.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Hmm. I thought they talked about getting an experience HC with a lot of PP experience.
This is good though. I like the internal promotion and the Geoff Ward acquisition a lot.

Let's see. If these guys want to run and gun, and get fast... they're going to need some moves. There's a lack of team speed for a lot of this team.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
"Philosophy on PP: look at player strengths and to see if players who don't play there should be playing there"

What a concept. Too mind blowing for Cameron to have handled.

Last edited:
Reactions: tmurfin and Cyrano

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
For what it's worth, when coaches have been talking about Vegas playing fast, they don't mean that their roster is comprised of fast players, per se. Sure, they have a few burners, but so do we. They are more referring to the team play. Fast decisions, fast puck movement, quick to pressure. Everything happening fast so the other team feels like they have no time to react.

Reactions: King In The North

Yotes4Cup

Dec 1, 2017
I am a lot more confident in the Flames coaching compared to when Gulutzan and company were hired.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Happy to hear Huska will be staying and be given an opportunity with the big club. Really do think he's earned it.

Don't mind the Ward hire at all either, been running a PP for a while now and with the Flames personnel there's no reason they can't be in the top third of the league. Hope he can employ a strategy that promotes more urgency and puck support rather than the static umbrella we saw with Cameron.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
"What we want to be is a real connected group here. We want to be connected in fives in all three zones. We want to defend fast; we are going to defend fast. We are going to utilize the assets we have here. For me the trend is how quickly we can transition from offense to defense, how much we can stay connected so we can hold onto the puck but still play fast, and how quickly we can get it back and utilize the strengths of the players that we have here. The only way you can play that way is to stay connected as a group."

- Gulutzan, Glen, June 2016

"This is an important person we need to bring into our organization. We spent the first while building a profile. 'What is it we're looking for in a coach? What's the best fit?' You talk about who the best coach is for a particular team, what kind of coach was our team ready for. We went through a lot of those attributes before we got into the field and the market and talking to people.
"We built a real in-depth profile and started going through the process. As you went through it, it became very clear meeting with Glen early that this was a perfect match."

- Treliving, Brad, June 2016

Reactions: Cyrano

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Per CP, via 960 I'm guessing, other teams wanted Huska including Peters while he was at Carolina.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad