Ryan Hillier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bouchard

Jul 10, 2004
Cole Harbour, NS
Had to make a thread about him. What do you all think of him after seeing the Canada (QMJHL) / Russia challenge? I see him play on a regular basis and he has really broke out this season. Last night pretty much confirmed that for me when he was playing with some of Baie Comeau's defenseman. I figure if he keeps improving at this rate he may make something of himself.

Anyone else have any thoughts on him? Good or bad.

5-4-Fighting

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, N.S.
Visit site
Personallly, after having seen him play a number of times this year, I find him weak on the puck and in the checking department. He is soft in the corners and avoids heavy traffic.

Perhaps he needs to get on a weight program and get personal self defense advice and one-on-one training from Kevin Cormier.

PEli*

5-4-Fighting said:
Personallly, after having seen him play a number of times this year, I find him weak on the puck and in the checking department. He is soft in the corners and avoids heavy traffic.

I don't know what games you've been watching. Try the exact opposite.

The only part of your post that is remotely true is the checking. He doesn't check at all. I mean, he tries...but he's too small to make a difference in that department.

As for the other points, he's the strongest player on the puck on the entire team. He'll skate end to end three or four times a night and can hold onto the puck the entire way with two or three guys on him. I don't see where you're getting that. Same with the corners and traffic. All he does is skate into traffic. That happens when you're the second or third most talented player on the team. Not a tough corner guy but he's not afraid to go there.

I've been to every home game so far this year and have watched most road games on webcast. Hillier is easily the best player on the team. At times it seems as though the puck is superglued to his stick, he pulls sick moves out of nowhere with zero space to do it and he is putting up points. What else can you ask for from a 17 year old coming off extremely limited ice last year?

Ryan Hillier is this year's biggest sleeper pick.

5-4-Fighting

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, N.S.
Visit site
PEIi you have to stop being a homer and open your eyes.

This is a prospect's board. It makes no difference if Hillier is the strongest player on the puck for his team, if his team is full of stiffs. I don't believe it is what the initiator of this post had in mind. If truth be known, Carenige and Brine are much stronger on the puck than Hillier. I realize there is an age difference, but your post is absolutely untrue.

I also disagree that he is the best player on the Halifax Mooseheads.

He is putting up points because he is getting the opposite ice that he saw last year, especially on the power play.

He does have good speed but he needs to bulk up.

acadienboy

Oct 31, 2004
I was at the game in Moncton against the Russian and at the game against Baie Comeau.It was impressive to see his stickhandling.He still as a lot of work to do but if he keeps working like that,he will become and extremely good player.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
5-4-Fighting said:

Perhaps he needs to get on a weight program and get personal self defense advice and one-on-one training from Kevin Cormier.

Do you actually watch the games? No one can take the puck from him when he has it in the corner.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
5-4-Fighting said:

This is a prospect's board. It makes no difference if Hillier is the strongest player on the puck for his team, if his team is full of stiffs. I don't believe it is what the initiator of this post had in mind. If truth be known, Carenige and Brine are much stronger on the puck than Hillier. I realize there is an age difference, but your post is absolutely untrue.

He is putting up points because he is getting the opposite ice that he saw last year, especially on the power play.

He isnt a homer and neither am I. We just disagree with you. Just because you disagree doesnt mean you are a homer. What me and Peli agree on is that he is strong on the puck. You cant take it from him.

Not everyone is going to be a big time bruiser. Who cares if he doesnt throw a check?

Icetime doesnt always lead to points. Its not magical, you still have to go out there and play well. He got moved down to line 2 yesterday and still had a big game and that was his 7th game in 9 nights.

PEli*

5-4-Fighting said:

Incorrect on pretty much all counts.

Rane Carnegie's strength with the puck is pretty much useless when he decides to hold on to it for way too long...leading to about 10 turnovers a game. I like Brine. He's a good overager who has steadily improved over the last two years. He's not better than Hillier on the puck. Sorry.

I don't think that comparing a player on my home team to other players on my home team makes me a homer. I didn't say Hillier is the best player in the Q. Or the best player in his division. He's just the best player with the puck on the team. And he's better than Carnegie at this point. I don't care how many soft PP goals Rane scores. Hillier is more effective and creates more oppertunities.

You can't take the puck from him. He has to make a mistake. Otherwise...you're not getting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->