Confirmed with Link: Ryan Graves for Chris Bigras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Bigras is a boom or bust prospect.

Confident player, high IQ, smooth skater and excellent positioning. He was among the top prospects of the AVs until the concussions which has rendered him extremely passive. Too scared to make mistakes, but worried about getting hit. Upside is far higher than Graves, but needs to recover mentally if he wants to continue his hockey career.

AVs wanted more size and toughness, leading to interests in Graves. This might not be a long term solution, but it gives their prospects a little more time to develop. Bigras has simply fallen on the depth charts against similar smaller players.

A fairly even trade of prospects needing a change.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Writing was on the wall.

Seems like a dumb decision, he's a better player than any of the younger defensemen we called up recently, but its not like it matters that much.

None of these secondary moves matter much for a team that needs elite talent to rebuild. We can all haggle over the return of this trade or that trade, but how much does it really matter? We'd be mediocre, regardless. We won't be mediocre if we acquire elite talents at the top of the draft the next few years.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Graves stopped developingat 20. He's the sameplayer he was at 20. Sometimes looks amazing, usually disappears, rarely butsometimesmakes mistakes. You can'tmake zero progress fromyear 1 to year 3 as a pro and be viewed as a legit prospect.

Ed Giacomin

Jul 4, 2003
I'm not the most well versed on prospects, but I'll share my two cents. Bigras was really exciting in junior, we Avs fans and the organization seemed really high on the kid. He's had a couple concussions which did / have messed him up. His skating is excellent, he's always been noted for being a really smart player. He was supposed to be a calm, puck moving type, but since his concussions he seems really scared on ice. When he was in the NHL he was really jumpy and correspondingly made a lot mistakes, which earned him benchings, which further shot his confidence, and you can see the cycle that starts there. A fresh start is probably the best thing for him. Probably needs a coach willing to spend time on him and rehabilitate his game. His talent isn't in question, he's got the tools to be a quality NHL defender.

Well then he came to the wrong place.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Meh. Not a fan of Bigras at all. He's been a part of the meh faction of Colorado development that's a part of the secondary rebuild. A year ago, I would have been upset at the trade but if this is the way management feels about Graves now, I suppose it's all moot in the end.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Bigras looks like a AAAA player to me at this point.

He’s also an example of a guy who had a surge in his last year of juniors, as opposed to a steady increase (Howden).

I mention that only because I’ve seen some strange reactions to Howden’s progress and I feel that Bigras gives me a good contrast at whom to point.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
So looks like we don't even give a chance to big physical Dmen. The main reason out D is so bad is that we have no big intimidating Dmen that can overpower opposing forwards and deliver bone crushing hits. Bad trade, and stupid asset management that we did not give Graves a few games.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
So looks like we don't even give a chance to big physical Dmen. The main reason out D is so bad is that we have no big intimidating Dmen that can overpower opposing forwards and deliver bone crushing hits. Bad trade, and stupid asset management that we did not give Graves a few games.

That isn't what they're going for. They want all six guys that can either skate or pass the puck up.

IMO that they will need to change the system from the stretch pass outlet... that single f***ing predictable option that AV deploys every f***ing game.

Changing the D to six guys that can skate up or pass is where all the contenders are at now. If you look at how Nashville plays... they entire top for D will rush on the wing depending on how the transition takes place. It creates a controlled entry, usually with numbers almost every time. This is how the contenders play now. The Rangers don't have that at the moment... but given what their icing now, you can see that they are trying to get there.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
That isn't what they're going for. They want all six guys that can either skate or pass the puck up.

IMO that they will need to change the system from the stretch pass outlet... that single ****ing predictable option that AV deploys every ****ing game.

Changing the D to six guys that can skate up or pass is where all the contenders are at now. If you look at how Nashville plays... they entire top for D will rush on the wing depending on how the transition takes place. It creates a controlled entry, usually with numbers almost every time. This is how the contenders play now. The Rangers don't have that at the moment... but given what their icing now, you can see that they are trying to get there.

I think that is old news, and isn't really working especially defensively, so I think teams are now going back to big physical Dmen, Nashville, Boston, etc have large physical Dmen. Rangers are confused about the trend and as always trailing behind.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Bigras was voted the Avs #1 prospect over Tyson Jost in summer 2016 on the Avs board. Concussions really got the worst of him after that. Things went downhill fast.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Giants, Knicks & Avs fan here.

Just wanted to wish you guys luck now that you are actually rebuilding, and wish Woody luck since I still believe there’s a middle pairing damn in the mold of Paul Martin there if Bigras’ confidence can be rebuilt. The kid isn’t a speed demon but he’s an incredibly smooth skater and he’s very intelligent out there. Though he’s capable with the puck and a good breakout passer, rushing the puck isn’t really his game and he’s never gotten comfortable with being leaned on to be the best puck mover on his team...his worst (healthy) stretches in the AHL have all come when trying to force himself to be that guy that he just isn’t.

This season the Avs infamous prospect-ADD kicked in with him after Zadorov’s break through and the addition of Girard pushed him down our LHD totem pole...as with EJ, Barrie, Makar, Meloche and Timmins, we weren’t gunna have a spot on the right for long either. And you could clearly see how scared he was of being scratched and forgotten about every time he played in the NHL. Zads went through the same jitters after his scratches but we let Zads play through them and he rewarded the team bigly. Once that happened and Nemeth played like a reliable vet that could provide stability on the left for the young Zadorov and Girard, Bigras’ fate was sealed.

If Woody (nickname from his Halloween costume his draft+1 year) is healthy and you guys can give him ~10 games to realize that he can make mistakes at the NHL level without it meaning a long term banishment to San Antonio; you could have yourself a really smooth middle pairing dman who can chip in 20+ points with high grade defense thanks to his skating, smarts and stickwork as soon as next season.

This kid has more Boychuck or Regehr in him than he does Cohen or Gaunce if he can get healthy n get his confidence back.
Graves was considered one of our top D prospects not that long ago

Some Avs fans once had Bigras ahead of Zadorov, so it’s a little different. I’ve been arguing Zads could be a bigger and more creative Erik Johnson since Buffalo drafted him, so I wasn’t in that camp, but they had good reasons to think that way at the time.

Likely was before they acquired Zadorov and Girard and added Makar, Timmins, and Meloche.
Nah, there was a sizeable subset of Avs fans that liked him more than Zads until Nikita’s strong run after EJ went down last season...though yes that was before we added Makar, Girard & Timmins in the past 10 months.
Meh. Not a fan of Bigras at all. He's been a part of the meh faction of Colorado development that's a part of the secondary rebuild. A year ago, I would have been upset at the trade but if this is the way management feels about Graves now, I suppose it's all moot in the end.

It’s a little unfair to Bigras to blame him for the concussions and Rampage needing him to go all Erik karlsson for them due to the lack of other competent PMDs. Bigras was making good progress before his concussion last season and he came back to finish last season on a strong note. It was Zads, Girard and Nemeth establishing themselves on the NHL roster that sealed his fate more than anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Giants, Knicks & Avs fan here.

Just wanted to wish you guys luck now that you are actually rebuilding, and wish Woody luck since I still believe there’s a middle pairing damn in the mold of Paul Martin there if Bigras’ confidence can be rebuilt. The kid isn’t a speed demon but he’s an incredibly smooth skater and he’s very intelligent out there. Though he’s capable with the puck and a good breakout passer, rushing the puck isn’t really his game and he’s never gotten comfortable with being leaned on to be the best puck mover on his team...his worst (healthy) stretches in the AHL have all come when trying to force himself to be that guy that he just isn’t.

This season the Avs infamous prospect-ADD kicked in with him after Zadorov’s break through and the addition of Girard pushed him down our LHD totem pole...as with EJ, Barrie, Makar, Meloche and Timmins, we weren’t gunna have a spot on the right for long either. And you could clearly see how scared he was of being scratched and forgotten about every time he played in the NHL. Zads went through the same jitters after his scratches but we let Zads play through them and he rewarded the team bigly. Once that happened and Nemeth played like a reliable vet that could provide stability on the left for the young Zadorov and Girard, Bigras’ fate was sealed.

If Woody (nickname from his Halloween costume his draft+1 year) is healthy and you guys can give him ~10 games to realize that he can make mistakes at the NHL level without it meaning a long term banishment to San Antonio; you could have yourself a really smooth middle pairing dman who can chip in 20+ points with high grade defense thanks to his skating, smarts and stickwork as soon as next season.

This kid has more Boychuck or Regehr in him than he does Cohen or Gaunce if he can get healthy n get his confidence back.

Some Avs fans once had Bigras ahead of Zadorov, so it’s a little different. I’ve been arguing Zads could be a bigger and more creative Erik Johnson since Buffalo drafted him, so I wasn’t in that camp, but they had good reasons to think that way at the time.

Nah, there was a sizeable subset of Avs fans that liked him more than Zads until Nikita’s strong run after EJ went down last season...though yes that was before we added Makar, Girard & Timmins in the past 10 months.

It’s a little unfair to Bigras to blame him for the concussions and Rampage needing him to go all Erik karlsson for them due to the lack of other competent PMDs. Bigras was making good progress before his concussion last season and he came back to finish last season on a strong note. It was Zads, Girard and Nemeth establishing themselves on the NHL roster that sealed his fate more than anything.

This isn't correct, you are a Mo Dahoud fan first and foremost. :laugh:

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
NOT a big deal, i realize that, just sharing

Bigras cut loose by NYR after 0 NHL games for team,
while Graves played 26 games w Avs last season,
and now extended
Avalanche Re-Signs Ryan Graves

Gorts cant win em all
(yeah i know that
- Bigras was an asset for HWP while healthy
- neither is missed today, with the pro pipeline of Hajek, Rykov, Lindgren, Reunanen, Day, Crawley

a pick might've offered a better return over time

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
NOT a big deal, i realize that, just sharing

Bigras cut loose by NYR after 0 NHL games for team,
while Graves played 26 games w Avs last season,
and now extended
Avalanche Re-Signs Ryan Graves

Gorts cant win em all
(yeah i know that
- Bigras was an asset for HWP while healthy
- neither is missed today, with the pro pipeline of Hajek, Rykov, Lindgren, Reunanen, Day, Crawley

a pick might've offered a better return over time
FIRE GROTS!!!!
WaterloggedSpiritedIndianspinyloach-max-1mb.gif

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He's probably the 7th/8th D there again. IIRC he got his break when Zadorov was injured, and played okay. Scored his first goal against us. COL is deep on D and of course has Makar, Timmins, and Bowen ready to push in. Good luck to him. He has the tools to be a dependable bottom-pair guy.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Didnt Ryan Graves also get some time on the wing with them the Avs this past season.

Lets not act like this was a “loss”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->