Ryan Getzlaf vs Jeff Carter

• Thread starter Randall Graves*
  • Start date

Randall Graves*

I remember this comparison before the season, and many people thought Carter was far above Getzlaf. After their first NHL seasons I think Ryan Getzlaf has bridged the gap a bit. I think both can be good all around players and #1 centers. I'm going to post their pre and post olympic break stats.

Jeff Carter:
Pre Olympics:
GP: 57
G: 14
A: 13
Pts: 27

Post Olympics
GP: 24
G: 9
A: 6
Pts: 15

Ryan Getzlaf:
pre olympics:
GP: 32
G: 8
Pts: 14

Post Olympic

GP: 25
G: 6
A: 19
Pts: 25

Discuss.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
RallyKiller said:
I remember this comparison before the season, and many people thought Carter was far above Getzlaf. After their first NHL seasons I think Ryan Getzlaf has bridged the gap a bit. I think both can be good all around players and #1 centers. I'm going to post their pre and post olympic break stats.

Jeff Carter:
Pre Olympics:
GP: 57
G: 14
A: 13
Pts: 27

Post Olympics
GP: 24
G: 9
Pts: 15

Ryan Getzlaf:
pre olympics:
GP: 32
G: 8
Pts: 14

Post Olympic

GP: 25
G: 6
A: 19
Pts: 25

Discuss.

I will literally smash someone's face in if I see that word again.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
imo these 2 are a wash...

both about equal....wouldn't give one the upper hand over the other.

I know thats a politicians answer..but yeah..

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Getzlaf probably does not have Carter's offensive package, but his bullish, power forward-like style of play more than makes up for the differences.

Carter has "future captain" written all over him. While he doesn't throw his body around, he's the guy you want if you want a "skill" center.

Lars

Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver Canada
Getzlaf has more than just Skill, he has alot more strength, and uses it alot more frequently. Getzlaf can become a hard-nosed skilled center which i would prefer over Carter.

AgentNaslund*

Getzlaf have more ice time then Carter. I dont know WHat Carter's status is in Philly. Is he a 3rd line or 2nd line player.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Getzlaf is beginning to look Messier-like. I put him ahead of Carter. Right now I put him ahead of Phaneuf. I know Phaneuf had the injury but in the Calgary series Getzlaf had his way with Phaneuf.

chlebak

Mar 21, 2006
Litvinov
orcatown said:
Getzlaf is beginning to look Messier-like. I put him ahead of Carter. Right now I put him ahead of Phaneuf. I know Phaneuf had the injury but in the Calgary series Getzlaf had his way with Phaneuf.

Really? Getzlafs -4 in series with Calgary is the worst from all Anaheims players..

I think Carter and Getzlaf are equal. Carter is better off, getzlaf is better def.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Leachmeister2000 said:
I will literally smash someone's face in if I see that word again.

That is a discussting visual.

Okay, so that's not how you spell disgusting, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity.

Matsi

got paws?
Mar 22, 2005
Chiricahua Mountains
44_bertuzzi_44 said:
Getzlaf has more than just Skill, he has alot more strength, and uses it alot more frequently. Getzlaf can become a hard-nosed skilled center which i would prefer over Carter.

yep, same for me, Ryan Getzlaf over Carter :yo:

HoverCarle*

carter lost almost 20 pounds due to mono before the season and was getting about 7 minutes of ice time a night. toward the end of the year he was getting like 11-12. id still chose carter. he really picked it up towards the end of the year.

luv_canadian_hockey

Jul 1, 2005
Mississauga
superroyain10 said:
Getzlaf probably does not have Carter's offensive package, but his bullish, power forward-like style of play more than makes up for the differences.

Carter has "future captain" written all over him. While he doesn't throw his body around, he's the guy you want if you want a "skill" center.

He has literally no chance of becoming a captain in Philly. Maybe an alternate, but not the captain. That will go to Mike Richards in the next few years and he will keep the "C" as long as he stays in Philly.

Bruinster*

2 good young player2, but IMO Getzlaf is very good and he can make his teammate better and i like that kind of player.

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
very good both these players are, and this is the best comparison thread since Higgins vs Eaves. Getzlaf has the harder slap shot, but Carter has more moves.... the only slight advantage i see here is Getzlaf is a really good 2-way player.

hockeytown5

Aug 19, 2005
Toronto
I'll take Jeff Carter. They're both great young centres but the depth of the Flyers and mono prevented Carter from really taking off. In the long run, I think he's better than Getzlaf.

Randall Graves*

chlebak said:
Really? Getzlafs -4 in series with Calgary is the worst from all Anaheims players..

I think Carter and Getzlaf are equal. Carter is better off, getzlaf is better def.
Don't judge a player on +/- Getzlaf has been killing penalties as a rookie so obviously Carlyle thinks he's not bad defensively.

What puts Carter ahead of Getzlaf offensively? I'm curious because I didn't see Carter play more than a handfull of times this year.

Roger's Pancreas*

AgentNaslund said:
Getzlaf have more ice time then Carter. I dont know WHat Carter's status is in Philly. Is he a 3rd line or 2nd line player.

Keep guessing, fourth.

I'd take Getzlaf now but Carter in the future. Getzlaf has a lot of versatility and the offensive talent to match (not Messier quality by any stretch though). Carter has a better offensive game than Gagne, is underrated in the physical department, but just can't play any other position besides from center.

chlebak

Mar 21, 2006
Litvinov
RallyKiller said:
Don't judge a player on +/- Getzlaf has been killing penalties as a rookie so obviously Carlyle thinks he's not bad defensively.

I did not tell, he is bad defensively. I only answer to someone, who put Getzlaf ahead Phaneuf, because Phaneuf had bad Playoff, while Getzlaf very good. Getzlaf can do better than he did against Calgary. Dion Phaneuf is my god and no one may attack him :bow:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad