Ryan Ellis or Morgan Rielly?

Ellis or Rielly?

• Total voters

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Ellis pretty easily for me. Ryan Ellis is the most underrated dman in the league by far

Placid Perspicuity

Apr 19, 2016
Same old results.Reilly get the homer votes while the rest of the world vote for the better player.

Is being a "homer" a more detestable action in your eyes than going into threads to consistently denigrate Leaf players and fans?

Just wondering if the pedestal you put yourself on is higher or lower than that of the homers you seem to despise so much.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Psst.......look at the poll results so far. It's not JUST Leaf fans voting, either. Maybe we happen to be right about the skill level of our players now? (They're kinda good....)

:)
I was more referring to your "AINEC" remark. I voted Rielly as well, but I'd consider the race to be a lot closer than you seem to be realizing.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I was more referring to your "AINEC" remark. I voted Rielly as well, but I'd consider the race to be a lot closer than you seem to be realizing.

Meh. Given his size, incredible skill and skating ability, and AGE...........Rielly wins by a country mile IMO.

eternalbedhead

Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Meh. Given his size, incredible skill and skating ability, and AGE...........Rielly wins by a country mile IMO.
You see, this is the problem. I don't care what Rielly is to you -- your issue is you not acknowledging the talents of the other player in your analysis. You always seem to pretend like the other player in the poll is just a replacement-level player, which Ellis is absolutely not. Ellis is undersized but just a few games of watching him reveals that it's not a problem at all for him. He's also incredibly skilled and an incredible skater as well.

I don't see what age has to do with skill level...?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
You see, this is the problem. I don't care what Rielly is to you -- your issue is you not acknowledging the talents of the other player in your analysis. You always seem to pretend like the other player in the poll is just a replacement-level player, which Ellis is absolutely not. Ellis is undersized but just a few games of watching him reveals that it's not a problem at all for him. He's also incredibly skilled and an incredible skater as well.

I don't see what age has to do with skill level...?

I know what Ryan Ellis is capable of. He's pretty good. But he's not as skilled as Rielly, doesn't skate anywhere near as good as Rielly, he's smaller than Rielly, and he's older than Rielly.

So who would I take going forward?

The more skilled, better skating, bigger, younger guy.

Common sense, if you ask me.

eternalbedhead

Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
I know what Ryan Ellis is capable of. He's pretty good. But he's not as skilled as Rielly, doesn't skate anywhere near as good as Rielly, he's smaller than Rielly, and he's older than Rielly.

So who would I take going forward?

The more skilled, better skating, bigger, younger guy.

Common sense, if you ask me.
Okay, what is "skill" supposed to mean? It's a rather abstract term. Puck skills? Overall package? In terms of puck skills, Rielly doesn't have that much of an edge. In terms of overall package, Ellis is better defensively and from viewings of both players, he's actually more physical despite his size disadvantage.

Ellis is a pretty damn good skater in his own right. I'd give the edge to Rielly still in overall skating ability but on the technical side of skating, I think Ellis is actually a bit better. And while Rielly has better top-end speed and explosiveness, Ellis is still really good in those areas. Rielly has an edge, albeit a slight one, in pretty much every offensive area of the game, but Ellis has an advantage in terms of shooting ability.

Once again, it's close, but you don't seem to know a whole lot about Ellis' ability.

And also, age is entirely irrelevant for this poll in particular -- the question isn't who you would take going forward, but simply who the better defenseman is right now.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Rielly for my money. He'd be my pick of the two for the Sharks and think I'd pick him in a vacuum anyways. Ellis is a damn solid d-man. Sort of the Stralman mould. Great complementary piece for a contender. I think Rielly could be a main piece on a contender.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Their pretty similar players, I love Ellis, I also love Rielly, and they made a good pairing for Canada even though it was brief.

Won’t vote, but I’d lean towards Mo if I was forced to because of his age.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Rielly is a going to have a season where he finishes between 45-50 pts will playing in all situations as a #1D on the team that is ranked 6th overall in the league (yes I am fully aware of Nashville being 2nd but that isn't the point I am making).

Ellis definitely isn't the top defensemen on Nashville. This does say more about Nashville then Ellis but still, Rielly has really proven himself this season.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Rielly is a going to have a season where he finishes between 45-50 pts will playing in all situations as a #1D on the team that is ranked 6th overall in the league (yes I am fully aware of Nashville being 2nd but that isn't the point I am making).

Ellis definitely isn't the top defensemen on Nashville. This does say more about Nashville then Ellis but still, Rielly has really proven himself this season.

Ellis has 22 points in 30 games, if he played a full season this year he'd have 40-50+ points too.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Is Ellis considered ahead or behind on the depth chart compared to Ekholm?

If Nashville fans had to pick one, who stays between the 2?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->