Speculation: Ryan Ellis available?

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
it was noted that he did not have any trade protection. Nashville currently has him, Subban, Josi, and Ekholm, in their top 4.

any chance we see Ellis traded? would anyone want him?

i have followed him since he came into the league, and was really impressed with how he has grown. he was great last year, IMO. reminds me of Letang. not very big, but has a big heart.

i like his contract (8 yrs @ 6.25). yeah, he is 27 and will be getting 'old' soon, but he was kind of a late bloomer, and may have a good 6 years left in him. idk.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Why is Ellis available? Once his contract kicks in, they have their top 4 locked in for only $23 million (and right now it's at $19 million). Just for comparison, our top 4 is at about $16 million, lol. All 4 of their top 4 are top-pairing defenseman. Every one of them would be our best defenseman. They are built to win now, so not sure why they would be trading proven defenseman, probably the hardest asset to attain, who are arguably all on team-friendly deals.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Any of Nashville's D is "available" (only one NTC for the entire team!) but I don't see why they would trade any of them right now. They're a cup contender and they can add without taking from the core.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
i only noted that Ellis was not given a no-move contract, but yeah, all 4 top D are moveable.

i think i heard that Nashville wants some scoring help, and i can see them offering a D in a trade. don't think they want to trade either of Rinne or Saros, so that doesn't leave many options. futures, i guess.

i like Ellis a lot, but feel like we need a high end LD more than RD (which Ellis is).

still, if he (or any top 4 D) is available, i would hope LL shows interest. and IMO, Ellis seems like he is not coveted by many, but is solid. kind of an unknown. maybe had for cheaper?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad