Michael Russo: Ryan Carter to attempt a comeback with the Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
At his peak he would be a fantastic fourth liner for this team. Him, Stewart, and....someone.

I love Schroeder and think his skill level (please don't laugh) is at the level of a Johnny Hockey. Johnny Hockey just got hot at the right time.

Not to digress...I think a full strength Carter with Stewart and the right other piece would be a darn solid fourth line.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
At his peak he would be a fantastic fourth liner for this team. Him, Stewart, and....someone.

I love Schroeder and think his skill level (please don't laugh) is at the level of a Johnny Hockey. Johnny Hockey just got hot at the right time.

Not to digress...I think a full strength Carter with Stewart and the right other piece would be a darn solid fourth line.
Johnny Hockey has puck skills that Schroeder can only dream of... not to mention a desire to succeed that Schroeder just doesn't have.

Schroeder needs repeated wake-up calls to get back on his game he vanishes for such long periods. That's why he's just a fringe NHL'er.

As for Carter at his peak... I'd be shocked if that's the Carter that is trying to make a comeback in Iowa right now. I'm expecting nothing from him until I hear otherwise from the Wild.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Johnny Hockey has puck skills that Schroeder can only dream of... not to mention a desire to succeed that Schroeder just doesn't have. .

Does he?

Well in the sense that Schroeder played on the USDT and was an NHL 1st round draft choice, I don't believe that Goudreau ever played for as elite a team as USDT and I believe he went as a 3rd round NHL pick and just basically defied all odds.

In comparing the two their small size is what comes to mind first. In my opinion I think Gaudreau has massively overachieved and Schroeder has really underachieved, and that is what separates them mostly.

I won't hijack the thread though...I do not believe Carter will have enough left in the tank to be at NHL level again, but I wish him the best.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota

Gaudreau scored 30 goals last season. Schroeder has 36 NHL points. Their skill level isn't particularly close.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Gaudreau scored 30 goals last season. Schroeder has 36 NHL points. Their skill level isn't particularly close.

Then maybe you can explain why Schroeder played for the USDT and was an NHL 1st round draft pick and Geudreau never played for the USDT and went 3rd round (was probably passed over by every team in the NHL more than twice)?

Maybe you missed my post above where I said I think one of them has overachieved and the other underachieved?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Does he?

Well in the sense that Schroeder played on the USDT and was an NHL 1st round draft choice, I don't believe that Goudreau ever played for as elite a team as USDT and I believe he went as a 3rd round NHL pick and just basically defied all odds.

He does.

Doesn't matter where their skills were at the ages of 16 and 17, what matters is where their skills are at when they are 23 and 24.

Gaudreau is on his way to three consecutive 60+ point seasons. At this point, it's a trend and not a fluke or an over achievement.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Then maybe you can explain why Schroeder played for the USDT and was an NHL 1st round draft pick and Geudreau never played for the USDT and went 3rd round (was probably passed over by every team in the NHL more than twice)?

Maybe you missed my post above where I said I think one of them has overachieved and the other underachieved?

I mean AJ Thelen was a 1st round pick and was on the USDT, he must be more talented than Byfuglien, who was taken in the 8th round and never was on the USDT.

Schroeder had a fantastic draft year that helped him be a 1st round pick, but that year also was pretty much his peak. His skills aren't good enough to be more than a AHL/NHL tweener. Why did Gaudreau not get picked higher is a layered question, but I'm guessing his listing at 5'7" ~155lbs when he was drafted was a big reason. Schroeder was listed as 5'8" and had 30lbs on Gaudreau.

It has nothing to do with over/underachieving. Gaudreau's shot is miles better than Schroder and his puckhandling is so much better. And Gaudreau's shot has always been better than Schroeder's, Gaudreau had a 0.65 Goals/game pace in college (Schroeder=0.31). Schroeder played in 3 WJC-20, had 7 goals in 19 games, Gaudreau had 7 goals in 7 games at his one WJC-20.

Schroeder's skill plateaued when he turned 19, while Gaudreau got better and better and put up 0.99pts/game season last year in the NHL. Maybe their skill level was similar when they were both 18, but by the time they each turned 19 Gaudreau was the superior player at that age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad