Injury Report: Peter Budaj cleared to play | Lightning to roll with three goalies

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Goalie Louis Domingue makes temporary return to Syracuse Crunch
The Lightning assigned Domingue to the Crunch on Tuesday. Tampa Bay assistant general manager Julien BriseBois said Domingue will start the Crunch's next two games, at Binghamton on Wednesday and at Springfield on Friday.

After that, BriseBois said, Domingue will be brought back to Tampa Bay on one of the two regulation recalls the team has left at its disposal. That will give the Lightning three goalies, along with No. 1 Andrei Vasilevskiy and backup Peter Budaj.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Feel bad for Ingram. Was playing really well as the Crunch started winning lots of games and has been pushed aside for starts for the likes of Budaj and now Domingue. The Crunch still don't know who the #1 will be going into the playoffs and they haven't given Pasquale or Ingram the chance to take that spot.

Reactions: Hinterland

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Feel bad for Ingram. Was playing really well as the Crunch started winning lots of games and has been pushed aside for starts for the likes of Budaj and now Domingue. The Crunch still don't know who the #1 will be going into the playoffs and they haven't given Pasquale or Ingram the chance to take that spot.

I agree 100%. Should have given Vasi another night off tonight for an extended break. I'd have kept Domingue with the Lightning. Both teams would have a good duo to split starts for the remainder of the regular season. Vasi/Domingue with the Lightning and Pasquale/Ingram with the Crunch. Lightning can totally afford to give Domingue some more games...at least as long as he manages to play the way he did until now.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Bingo Sunny. I would rather Dom get some work then come back right before the playoffs. No reason to expose him to anything at this level if Budaj can fill in for two games, maybe 3 at the most. Let him stay in the game, fresh and focused during the Crunch playoff run.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Bingo Sunny. I would rather Dom get some work then come back right before the playoffs. No reason to expose him to anything at this level if Budaj can fill in for two games, maybe 3 at the most. Let him stay in the game, fresh and focused during the Crunch playoff run.

To be honest I don't think they intend Budaj to fill in any games at all. I don't know where the schedule would allow it. The Lightning will not be playing again until 3/17. Meanwhile Syracuse plays 3/14 and 3/16 and then Domingue will have an opportunity to play the Edmonton portion of the Boston/Edmonton back-to-back on 3/17 and 3/18 respectively.

I've got to say that 3 games on the 14th, 16th and 18th makes perfect sense.

Vasilevskiy will probably take the next 4 games after that. Trying to platoon backups in that span of time sets a pretty unpredictable precedent especially because we'll be facing NJD and NYI teams fighting for their lives, a TOR team who wants to make their mark on us and ARI with nothing to lose. I don't think either Budaj or Domingue will get another chance to play until the other half the next coming back-to-back on 3/29 and 3/30.

If you shut down Vasy by then I think rest vs rust becomes dangerous. I figure he's gonna have to play Nashville and Boston on 4/1 and 4/3 (especially because the latter could mean the division) and there's 2 more games after that. By then you're looking just over a week and a half until 4/11 on the first playoff game and if Coop pulls the plug on Vasy I have to imagine that it's then.

Unless Cooper straight up takes the meat off Domingue's table (especially because we're gonna call him right back up and blow a move on him) then this has to be Budaj's farewell and he's simply gonna be the 3rd goalie in the event of an emergency.

Keep in mind: it is 100% possible that I am reading way too much into this but Budaj as a reserve feels like an Yzerman move.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
I don't think they shut down Vasy, but give him at least one more break before the season ends.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Notice how Domingue is being kept fresh and Budaj is essentially kept doing nothing. This is basically veiled admission of Dominuge being our guy at backup

Yeah but I have to agree that Pasquale and Ingram need some starts as well so what they should have done is to give Vasi a week off, play Domingue tonight and bring Vasi back for the Boston game.
The only good thing about Budaj being around is that Vasi can stay at home for certain games or practices when they don't need him. As a backup you usually have to stay on in practice and you still have to prepare and dress for the game. With Budaj around, Vasi can watch games or practices at home in his bed or on his couch eating popcorn:popcorn:
Completely different level of a rest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->