Injury Report: Peter Budaj cleared to play | Lightning to roll with three goalies

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
One player who didn’t stink was backup goaltender Peter Budaj, who got the start and played well before having to get helped off the ice midway through the third with an apparent left leg injury.

While Budaj returned to the bench — for moral support — and was walking around the locker room post-game, Cooper indicated the Lightning may have to call up another goalie from AHL Syracuse (hunch: veteran Louis Domingue). (...)

"He’s got one of the toughest jobs in sports," Stamkos said. "Battled tonight. Then you see him get hurt. You just hope he’s okay. We didn’t do him any favors tonight."
Lightning falls at home to Flyers

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
They need to give Domingue a chance and not just bring him up so he can be a glorified bench warmer while Vasy plays all the games and we just get back Budaj after the bye week.

Reactions: Master P

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Budaj will not be our back up come playoff time. No way no how. He's a sieve and the team plays poorly in front of him. Either way he's bad luck and a bad goalie for us right now. He lets in some real softies.

.87 save % is awful

(insert all of your excuses here)

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Budaj will not be our back up come playoff time. No way no how. He's a sieve and the team plays poorly in front of him. Either way he's bad luck and a bad goalie for us right now. He lets in some real softies.

.87 save % is awful

Not that it's an excuse but we really HAVE NOT played well in front of him. Of his 26 goals there's only so many that were real softies. Out of 26 goals against it's probably in the neighborhood of 6 that were bad. I confess I'm estimating here but a bad goal a game except for maybe one night sounds about right. So if you go with that number and do the math his GAA still ends up being 2.93 as opposed to the 3.80 GAA he currently has. But at the end of the day all of those goals could have been impossible to stop but it does not change the fact that once the numbers start getting up that high it's basically like debating what sucky illness would you rather have.

Reactions: Pomee

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Lol it is an excuse, get a new one anyone half decent will do - Budaj isn't even that.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu

Week to week isn't surprising considering how bad it looked when it happened but it's still bad news. Good luck to Budaj in his recovery.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

.87 save % is awful

His ES save % is. 915 that's good enough to win us games, Bishop has a .916 ES save %. It's the PK save % that's atrocious but that's more on the team as we're not good on the PK right now, even Vasilevskiy is under .900 on the PK. It doesn't matter who's in net if we keep taking 5 penalties a game we will be giving up multiple goals.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
His ES save % is. 915 that's good enough to win us games, Bishop has a .916 ES save %. It's the PK save % that's atrocious but that's more on the team as we're not good on the PK right now, even Vasilevskiy is under .900 on the PK. It doesn't matter who's in net if we keep taking 5 penalties a game we will be giving up multiple goals.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    19.8 KB · Views: 19

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

He's gotten us 7 points in 7 games. Vasilevskiy last year got us 53 in 50, the year before 22 in 24 and his first year 15 in 16. If you're getting roughly a point per game from your back up that's more than fine. Would I prefer Budaj had some better numbers of course but I don't think we need to spend assets on a backup, just not worth it.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I'm with you that I don't think we need a better backup. He needs more starts to get in rhythm and for the team to play better in front of him. I'm just pointing out that Vasi does not have a sub-.900 S% shorthanded. Not even close.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'm with you that I don't think we need a better backup. He needs more starts to get in rhythm and for the team to play better in front of him. I'm just pointing out that Vasi does not have a sub-.900 S% shorthanded. Not even close.

He has a .897 save % after lasts nights game. Budaj is at .738 which is terrible but better than Domingue who has a .680.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
He has a .897 save % after lasts nights game. Budaj is at .738 which is terrible but better than Domingue who has a .680.

Where are you getting that number? In the picture I posted above it says he has a .944 while shorthanded. From nhl.com.

Oh, you're confusing PP and PK.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL

To be fair and needs to be pointed out. Domingue had that save percentage on a terrible team this year. I would like to see him get a couple of games in this call up. If he plays really well....well we may have a battle for our backup spot (I hope)

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Where are you getting that number? In the picture I posted above it says he has a .944 while shorthanded. From nhl.com.

Oh, you're confusing PP and PK.

No you have it backwards. You think we've only given up 18 shots on the PK? PP save % is when the other team is on the PP where he's under .900.

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
On the latest Lightning Strikes podcast it was mentioned that he's out for 6-8 weeks. Expected to return in mid February.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Budaj practicing with the Syracuse Crunch:
The latest step in Peter Budaj's recovery from a left-leg injury has brought him to the War Memorial.

That was where the veteran Tampa Bay netminder practiced with the Syracuse Crunch on Tuesday, his first such full workout since getting hurt in a game against Philadelphia on Dec. 29 [...]

Budaj is still in practice mode for now, with no clear timetable when he might be able to play. Once Budaj is ready for NHL action again, the Lightning will have some decisions to make.
Goalie Peter Budaj's rehab work brings him to Syracuse Crunch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad