RW Nikolai Kovalenko (2018, 171st, COL)

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I know he has a year left after this one on his KHL contract but is there any way out of that?
He has to agree with the team on the mutual termination of the contract. Basically impossible. And, like Caser is saying, why would he do that. He is probably enjoying hockey more than he has in years at the moment.

QC4TheWin

Mar 4, 2011
Progression is there, only 23 YO. Is there a chance that Colorado could lure him to North America anytime soon?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Definitely for the best that he’s stayed even if it means he’s not coming over till 2024.

I know to be a bit leery of the high scorer on a “lesser” team stat line and to be sure Larionov has installed what looks like a completely offensive system - heck Dennis Yan went from an AHL depth player to maybe a 40 point KHL scorer in a year. And the league overall may suffer from a bit less talent with less foreigners.

But still near a PPG is pretty impressive. Will a more name brand KHL power look to get him for next year? Sure would be nice for the Avs to be able to add a ready made middle-six forward on an ELC in a little over a year.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Kovalenko looks good but I'm waiting a year before I jump on the hype train.

This Torpedo team is a freak anamoly. The amount of nobodies having career years and unheralded youngsters breaking out is really crazy. What Larionov is doing is quite exceptional given the roster he has.

Lets see if he can sustain his great play next year.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
But still near a PPG is pretty impressive. Will a more name brand KHL power look to get him for next year?
I doubt he wants to move, his previous experiences with big teams were notoriously bad and he knows his career goal is NHL, so quick cash not a priority either.

Regarding fair doubts about his production many have voiced, he was never supposed to be a big scorer, he is more of a Barabanov - type. That these guys managed to have some offensively good seasons is just an added bonus. Even if he goes back to scoring 0,7 PPG next year that's completely fine.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Tough to judge solely on numbers - particularly with the number of European players who have left the KHL - but was Kovalenko's scoring numbers this year indicative of a big jump in his game or the product of a watered down KHL?

DivochLubo

Feb 28, 2007
Tough to judge solely on numbers - particularly with the number of European players who have left the KHL - but was Kovalenko's scoring numbers this year indicative of a big jump in his game or the product of a watered down KHL?

May be coach can be among factors too. More offensive hockey and bigger role for Kovalenko under Larionov.

person5000

Oct 21, 2022
Khl being watered down is an overreaction. I have gone through and looked at player for player and most players did not improve or decrease stats based on last year‘s numbers. There has been more opportunity for some of the younger guys but it appears that the KHL has got neither harder or easier.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
It is more an indication of him finally being healthy and playing on Larionov's team.

Khl being watered down is an overreaction. I have gone through and looked at player for player and most players did not improve or decrease stats based on last year‘s numbers. There has been more opportunity for some of the younger guys but it appears that the KHL has got neither harder or easier.
I think that judging by the points and goalie stats it is notable that the scoring has gone lower, although I must admit I didn't do too much math on this.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Yeah, pretty much this. The league is basically the same, probably even better because of great coaching from Larionov and Tambiyev.

So about Kovalenko, I personally think he broke through because Larionov found right words for him. He played with much more confidence than in previous years, and it helped him a lot. I still think he needs another good season to prove that this season wasn't a coincidence.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Torpedo team has announced that Kovalenko is signing with the Avs soon (KHL contract is already terminated), but it has been agreed that he will be loaned back to Torpedo for the coming KHL season.
So he's signing with the Avs but wont be playing in the NHL for at least another year ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad