RW Niklas Nordgren - Pelicans Lahti, Liiga (2018, 74th, CHI)

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=360140

https://finnishjuniorhockey.wordpress.com/2015/05/24/notes-from-the-finnish-u15-league/

The right wing is one of the most purely skilled players in the age-group.
He moves well laterally as well as in tight spaces, making him tough for the defensemen to handle.

Makes strong decisions with the puck and finds line-mates with ease.
Has an extremely good slap shot for his size, he can really shoot the puck and put some power on it.
He doesn’t have the best size or reach but has shown an active stick without the puck and has some serious upside as a scorer.

Finnish Junior Hockey.com comment.
Nordgren finished the season at nearly point-per-game pace, putting up 39 points in 40 games for HIFK U20.
He was their best player in the playoffs and scored 7 goals. His finishing ability, smarts, puck skills and hockey sense are excellent.
He’s a heady, pass-first forward. On the downside, Nordgren’s skating is not high end at the moment but it’s getting better.

HIFK.fi analysis
One of talented players in his age-group ( 2000 born).
Slippery forward who despite of his size challenges opposite defenders, also known for his good shot.

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
future 1st rounder?

Maybe, maybe not

Few years ago Nordgren played HIFK's C2 juniors ( U15 team) 31 games and he scored 56 goals+63 assists =119 points ( 3,83 PPG).
But some weird reason eliteprospect.com doesn't mention that.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
future 1st rounder?

It's pretty doubtful. He's really small and Eeli Tolvanen for instance more than doubled his scoring in u-18s at the same age.

Maybe maybe not

Few years ago Nordgren played HIFK's C2 juniors ( U15 team) 31 games and he scored 56 goals+63 assists =119 points ( 3,83 PPG).
But some weird reason eliteprospect.com doesn't mention that.

Yes, that was pretty impressive. I actually remember that very well, although not because of him.

http://www.tilastopalvelu.fi/ih/ind...ontent&view=article&id=32&stgid=2970&ssn=2015

Here are the scoring leaders for that league. Of course, the reason I remember this is because of Leevi Aaltonen who is a year younger than Nordgren(u-14 when Nordgren was u-15). He also was on a completely atrocious team that he miraculously carried on his back to finish in top 12(Nordgren's team's scoring difference was +144, Aaltonen's team's was -43). I was pretty irritated that Nordgren won the scoring title over Aaltonen. Nordgren had 119 points, his team scored 262 goals. Aaltonen had 110 points, his team scored 173 goals. Yeah...

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
It's pretty doubtful. He's really small and Eeli Tolvanen for instance more than doubled his scoring in u-18s at the same age.

That eliteprospect.com measurement of Nordgren is correct Nordgren is only 171cm ( 5'7) tall

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
That eliteprospect.com measurement of Nordgren is wrong.
He isn't 171cm he's measured 174cm tall in HIFK B juniors website.
So Nordgren is only 4cm shorter than Tolvanen but also year younger.

Yeah eliteprospects is often wrong.

174 still is pretty small. Tolvanen is small as well, of course.

I still have my doubts about him being a 1st liner. If I compare to Kuokkanen or Aho, they too performed better at the same age and both were second rounders. Of course, I'm confident that when they look back at the draft, both should have been drafted in the first round instead, especially Aho... But still, because of this history I think that Nordgren needs a really big season to become a first rounder. I'm expecting a second round at this point in time.

Then again, we have Henrik Borgström whose first round pick was bizarre to say the least, so you never know. The more Finns selected in the first round, the better, anyway.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Yeah eliteprospects is often wrong.

174 still is pretty small. Tolvanen is small as well, of course.

I still have my doubts about him being a 1st liner. If I compare to Kuokkanen or Aho, they too performed better at the same age and both were second rounders. Of course, I'm confident that when they look back at the draft, both should have been drafted in the first round instead, especially Aho... But still, because of this history I think that Nordgren needs a really big season to become a first rounder. I'm expecting a second round at this point in time.

Then again, we have Henrik Borgström whose first round pick was bizarre to say the least, so you never know. The more Finns selected in the first round, the better, anyway.

Being undersized isn't necessarily an obstacle to play in NHL when player is forward.
Martin St Louis wasn't tall guy but still he was one of the best players in NHL in his generation.

And Theoren Fleury is probably shortest player in NHL ever and despite of his size Fleury did quite well in NHL.
Even Patrick Kane is only 178cm tall and he's superstar in NHL right now.

However year is long time in junior hockey and i'm sure that Nordgren and Aaltonen will become better and bigger.
You can't never know how much young player develops in a year only time will tell how long Nordgren and Aaltonen will grow

Last edited:

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Yeah the guy seems just really small, but maybe he can still grow. It's the same mantra as always, but who knows, maybe he can grow to over 180 cm.

By the way I was very confused about the grammatically correct English in your original post, FinnHockeyFan :laugh: No offence intended though :)

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
You must really thank the Swedes for supplying most of your talent. :sarcasm:

Itkonen

May 11, 2016
You must really thank the Swedes for supplying most of your talent. :sarcasm:

You're obviously kidding but yeah, due to our history of being part of Sweden, Swedish last names are really common in Finland even on families that have lived in Finland's side for centuries. :)

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
I like Nordgren's potential but his skating needs work IMO. He's not extremely fast for someone of his size and hasn't displayed the greatest agility either. More explosiveness could make a big difference. However, he has good hockey IQ, quick hands and is a very good finisher around the net. He makes good decisions to advance the play. I didn't watch the U17 World Hockey Challenge but this is how I see things as of now.

As far as pro potential is concerned, I prefer at least Lenni Killinen and Arttu Nevasaari over him amongst Finnish 2000 born forwards.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Niklas Nordgren has signed 4 yrs liiga contract with liiga HIFK.
Nordgren's contract with HIFK expires spring 2021.

Nordgren was HIFK's U20 teams TOP scorer this past season ( 2016-2017).
In 40 regular season games Nordgren scored 39 points ( 13+26).

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Niklas Nordgren scored goal and assisted two goals today's A juniors liiga game vs Saipa. HIFK won that game 1-4.
The reason why Nordgren didn't play in Ivan Hlinka tournament was he were recovering of hip surgery. Nordgren came back to HIFK's A junior liiga games last weekend.

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Niklas Nordgren plays tonight's champions hockey league game vs Comarch Cracovia.
That match is at the same time Nordgren's debut game in HIFK's men's team.

Nordgren plays HIFK's 2nd line with Micke Åsten and Juha Pekka Haataja.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Niklas Nordgren scored tonight's champions hockey league game his 1st career goal in HIFK's liiga team.
Video of that goal comes later ( when i found it.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad