RW Nikita Scherbak - Traktor Chelyabinsk, KHL (2014, 26th, MTL; claimed by LAK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Nikita Scherbak had a very bright start of the season: 23 points (9+14) in 15 games for WHL's Saskatoon Blades so far at the moment, so I decided to make a thread about him as I believe there is some talent to discuss.

He is also relatively unknown here in Russia, so if anyone have seen him play or just has some interesting info about him, please share. :)

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
He is a late birthday. Good size and good speed. Really nice set of hands on him. Adapted well to the NA game. Plays a similar game to former blade Stransky. Going to get a lot of opportunity to play the next couple of years.

I see him as a good bet for the 2nd round and he might slip into the late first.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Added two more goals last night in a game against Medicine Hat Tigers, looks like he is totally on fire :yo: I wonder if he gets an invite to Russia junior team for the Subway Superseries.

ThankYouBasedGod

Oct 25, 2010
Saskatoon
I live in Saskatoon, but have yet too see the Blades play because they were on a extended road trip in October and I work nights. Hoping too catch them a few times in November so I can see this kid.

Oshie

Feb 9, 2010
Saskatoon
Have seen him play quite a bit this year so far. Very good player, that has adapted to the NA game very well considering the short amount of time he had earlier in training camp. Something happened where he wasn't allowed to participate on the ice. Like many have said he plays similar to past blade Stransky. Very nice hands and great hockey sense, knows where to be all the time. His skating could improve a little and his defensive game quite a bit, which I'm thinking will come with time(has already improved alot since start of season).

Was at the game last night, he was definitely the most impressive player on the ice between both teams. Scored twice and should have probably had 1 or 2 more. Set up a few guys also that should have been goals. He needs to be careful who he is getting rough with though, he seems quite fearless. At the end on the game tried getting into the face of the Tigers thought guy Jacob Doty. So far I like what I see from this kid an I'm excited to see how he progresses throughout the year!

Any questions let me know!

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Needs to work on his skating but he is a great player, late first/early second as Joe said wouldn't surprise me at all.

Really nice find and get by Saskatoon. Being relied on heavily off the bat right after getting here and he's putting up a pretty good showing.

Sartorial

#RegisteredUser
Dec 14, 2011
Saskatoon
For tonight's game I'll be mainly focused on Scherbak. I'll definitely post what I see. (also excited to see Honka/Martin/Heatherington again for the Broncos)

Sartorial

#RegisteredUser
Dec 14, 2011
Saskatoon
He doesn't get too engaged defensively, especially in his own end.

Scherbak was always in position defensively, covering his point man. He engaged surprisingly well physically, throwing a few good hits, and taking a big hit to make a nice play. He often engages high traffic areas on the rush, regularly threading very beautiful and accurate passes. When he gets the puck especially, he takes off very quickly. He scored a goal, and could have had a few more too. Reminds me of Zykov, the way he hungrily attacks the net.

Overall though, he's a dynamic and creative offensive player who engages (in certain respects) at a desirable level.

Last edited:

Sartorial

#RegisteredUser
Dec 14, 2011
Saskatoon
Man, this kid's passing is very high end. He creates so much space for his teammates, always holding on to the puck for just the right amount of time before making great passes resulting in quality scoring chances.

He's pretty raw yet, so whoever drafts him will likely have a long-term prospect on their hands, but they'll also have someone with great assets.

Also interesting to note...zero defensive zone starts tonight.

Last edited:

Sartorial

#RegisteredUser
Dec 14, 2011
Saskatoon
4 primary assists so far through almost 2 periods of play against Portland. Those of you who have also seen him play, what do you think?

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
4 primary assists so far through almost 2 periods of play against Portland. Those of you who have also seen him play, what do you think?

Seen him twice and I haven't overly impressed. Seemed uninvolved for the most part and very inconsistent. He is a very strong skater with good hands. Sometimes physical, but doesn't go around punishing guys. Strong kid all-around, just haven't seen IT yet.

Oilers4life1987

Oct 20, 2010
So do the Oilers take him in the 2nd (if they get one in a trade) or later rounds?

Hall - Nuge - Ebs
Moroz - Draisaitl - Yak
Scherbak - Chase - Roy
Khraira - Yakimov - Pitlick

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Seen him twice and I haven't overly impressed. Seemed uninvolved for the most part and very inconsistent. He is a very strong skater with good hands. Sometimes physical, but doesn't go around punishing guys. Strong kid all-around, just haven't seen IT yet.

Sounds like a less talented, but bigger version of Brendan Leipsic.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
So do the Oilers take him in the 2nd (if they get one in a trade) or later rounds?

Hall - Nuge - Ebs
Moroz - Draisaitl - Yak
Scherbak - Chase - Roy
Khraira - Yakimov - Pitlick

lol no chance oilers get draisaitl...macT is gonna trade that pick for some overrated vet.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
I seen him score an absolutely filthy highlight real goal.. You can see it on one of the teams sites, they have video highlights from all of their games... Might have been Brandon's site? Can't remember.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think they're totally different. Leipsic epitomizes grit and crap-disturbing.

Scherbak was pretty damn impressive in the prospects game. He isn't physical player, but he has hard to be pushed off the puck. I kind of see why I made the Leipsic comparison, but I think he is more of a Kyle Okposo now.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
New ranking from Hockey Prospect has him 10th overall. Some may scoff at that, but I've heard that type of spot supported by some NHL teams.

I know at least 2 NHL teams have him ranked in their top 10 and there are likely a few more that are definitely in that range. Many conversations ongoing amongst teams about Scherbak vs. Draisaitl, too.

Trav

Aug 2, 2005
Not that he'd make the NHL next year but if he's picked in the first round, the Blades will be able to select two imports instead of just one. Assuming of course they decide to let go of Nemecek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad