RW Nikita Scherbak (2014, 26th, MTL)

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Caser, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Caser

Caser @RUSProspects

IT&T
    Home Page:
    Nikita Scherbak had a very bright start of the season: 23 points (9+14) in 15 games for WHL's Saskatoon Blades so far at the moment, so I decided to make a thread about him as I believe there is some talent to discuss.

He is also relatively unknown here in Russia, so if anyone have seen him play or just has some interesting info about him, please share. :)

2. Joe Hallenback

Joe Hallenback Registered User

He is a late birthday. Good size and good speed. Really nice set of hands on him. Adapted well to the NA game. Plays a similar game to former blade Stransky. Going to get a lot of opportunity to play the next couple of years.

I see him as a good bet for the 2nd round and he might slip into the late first.

3. Caser

Caser @RUSProspects

IT&T
    Home Page:
    Added two more goals last night in a game against Medicine Hat Tigers, looks like he is totally on fire :yo: I wonder if he gets an invite to Russia junior team for the Subway Superseries.

4. ThankYouBasedGod

ThankYouBasedGod Registered User

I live in Saskatoon, but have yet too see the Blades play because they were on a extended road trip in October and I work nights. Hoping too catch them a few times in November so I can see this kid.

5. Oshie

Oshie Registered User

Have seen him play quite a bit this year so far. Very good player, that has adapted to the NA game very well considering the short amount of time he had earlier in training camp. Something happened where he wasn't allowed to participate on the ice. Like many have said he plays similar to past blade Stransky. Very nice hands and great hockey sense, knows where to be all the time. His skating could improve a little and his defensive game quite a bit, which I'm thinking will come with time(has already improved alot since start of season).

Was at the game last night, he was definitely the most impressive player on the ice between both teams. Scored twice and should have probably had 1 or 2 more. Set up a few guys also that should have been goals. He needs to be careful who he is getting rough with though, he seems quite fearless. At the end on the game tried getting into the face of the Tigers thought guy Jacob Doty. So far I like what I see from this kid an I'm excited to see how he progresses throughout the year!

Any questions let me know!

6. puckfan13

puckfan13 Registered User

Needs to work on his skating but he is a great player, late first/early second as Joe said wouldn't surprise me at all.

Really nice find and get by Saskatoon. Being relied on heavily off the bat right after getting here and he's putting up a pretty good showing.

7. Sartorial

Sartorial #RegisteredUser

For tonight's game I'll be mainly focused on Scherbak. I'll definitely post what I see. (also excited to see Honka/Martin/Heatherington again for the Broncos)

8. Sartorial

He doesn't get too engaged defensively, especially in his own end.

Scherbak was always in position defensively, covering his point man. He engaged surprisingly well physically, throwing a few good hits, and taking a big hit to make a nice play. He often engages high traffic areas on the rush, regularly threading very beautiful and accurate passes. When he gets the puck especially, he takes off very quickly. He scored a goal, and could have had a few more too. Reminds me of Zykov, the way he hungrily attacks the net.

Overall though, he's a dynamic and creative offensive player who engages (in certain respects) at a desirable level.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  9. Sartorial

Man, this kid's passing is very high end. He creates so much space for his teammates, always holding on to the puck for just the right amount of time before making great passes resulting in quality scoring chances.

He's pretty raw yet, so whoever drafts him will likely have a long-term prospect on their hands, but they'll also have someone with great assets.

Also interesting to note...zero defensive zone starts tonight.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  10. Oilers4life1987

Oilers4life1987 Registered User

Who is a current NHLer that he can be compared too? Is his draft year this or next year?

11. Sartorial

His draft year is this year. Watch him in the Subway Super Series

12. Caser

Caser @RUSProspects

IT&T
    Home Page:
    Scherbak got 2 goals and 1 assist and was named first star of the 5-2 win against Lethbridge Hurricanes last night (16g+20a in 26 games this season so far) :yo:

13. Sartorial

4 primary assists so far through almost 2 periods of play against Portland. Those of you who have also seen him play, what do you think?

14. zjh

zjh @ZenonHerasymiuk

Student
    Seen him twice and I haven't overly impressed. Seemed uninvolved for the most part and very inconsistent. He is a very strong skater with good hands. Sometimes physical, but doesn't go around punishing guys. Strong kid all-around, just haven't seen IT yet.

15. Oilers4life1987

Oilers4life1987 Registered User

So do the Oilers take him in the 2nd (if they get one in a trade) or later rounds?

Hall - Nuge - Ebs
    Moroz - Draisaitl - Yak
    Scherbak - Chase - Roy
    Khraira - Yakimov - Pitlick

16. S E P H

S E P H @SEPH_WHL

WHL
    Sounds like a less talented, but bigger version of Brendan Leipsic.

17. JAVO16

JAVO16 Registered User

Great question

18. Sartorial

I think they're totally different. Leipsic epitomizes grit and crap-disturbing.

19. drw02

drw02 I beg to differ

lol no chance oilers get draisaitl...macT is gonna trade that pick for some overrated vet.

20. malkinfan

malkinfan Registered User

school
    I seen him score an absolutely filthy highlight real goal.. You can see it on one of the teams sites, they have video highlights from all of their games... Might have been Brandon's site? Can't remember.

21. Sartorial

22. S E P H

S E P H @SEPH_WHL

WHL
    Scherbak was pretty damn impressive in the prospects game. He isn't physical player, but he has hard to be pushed off the puck. I kind of see why I made the Leipsic comparison, but I think he is more of a Kyle Okposo now.

23. R S

R S @avs_tweets

scout
    New ranking from Hockey Prospect has him 10th overall. Some may scoff at that, but I've heard that type of spot supported by some NHL teams.

I know at least 2 NHL teams have him ranked in their top 10 and there are likely a few more that are definitely in that range. Many conversations ongoing amongst teams about Scherbak vs. Draisaitl, too.

24. R S

R S @avs_tweets

scout
  25. Trav

Trav Registered User

Not that he'd make the NHL next year but if he's picked in the first round, the Blades will be able to select two imports instead of just one. Assuming of course they decide to let go of Nemecek.