RW/LW Valentin Zykov (2013, 37th, LAK; 2016 trade, CAR; claimed by EDM; claimed by VGK)

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
If Shinkaruk hadn't dropped this is the guy I wanted at 24.

Top 6 potential for sure. I thought Edmonton trading out of that spot was incredibly dumb.

At the time I was disappointed because he is exactly the guy I wanted at 37, but MacT turned that single pick into Yakimov, Slepyshev, Houck, Platzer and Muir. The latter two haven't impressed, but Houck has been solid on a sub par Giants team and the two Russians both had better WJC than Zykov and are holding their own in the KHL. You can make a case for Zykov still being the better prospect than anyone in that group, but I'd hardly call the move "incredibly dumb."

pokerface1

Sep 16, 2010
..... but MacT turned that single pick into Yakimov, Slepyshev, Houck, Platzer and Muir. The latter two haven't impressed, but Houck has been solid on a sub par Giants team and the two Russians both had better WJC than Zykov and are holding their own in the KHL.

true, but to be fair both Yakimov and Slepyshev are a year older than Zykov.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Holding his WJC against him is hardly fair considering the ice time he was given. Kid will be an absolute stud in LA.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
true, but to be fair both Yakimov and Slepyshev are a year older than Zykov.

Slepyshev was a 2012 draft eligible, but Yakimov and Zykov were both in their first draft eligible seasons, with Yakimov being 7 months older. It would be like saying its unfair to compare Reinhart and Bennett because of where their birthdays fall (actually a bigger gap than Yakimov and Zykov), when really they've played in the same age grouping their entire lives.

I'm also not trying to say the WJC is any indicator of their values - I still consider Zykov to be the best of those 3 - but Yakimov and Slepyshev aren't far behind, and for that reason I'm OK with MacT's trade back. Simply arguing the statement that trading back was "incredibly dumb."

Anonymous028

Sep 18, 2008
Slepyshev was a 2012 draft eligible, but Yakimov and Zykov were both in their first draft eligible seasons, with Yakimov being 7 months older. It would be like saying its unfair to compare Reinhart and Bennett because of where their birthdays fall (actually a bigger gap than Yakimov and Zykov), when really they've played in the same age grouping their entire lives.

I'm also not trying to say the WJC is any indicator of their values - I still consider Zykov to be the best of those 3 - but Yakimov and Slepyshev aren't far behind, and for that reason I'm OK with MacT's trade back. Simply arguing the statement that trading back was "incredibly dumb."
And honestly, how many more scoring wingers do the Oil REALLY need.

It was a good trade for both teams. EDM got multiple prospects, and LA got their scoring winger prospect. Win-win as it comes.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Anyone have an update on Zykov's development/game?

There's been some questions specifically regarding lack of production--but I'm wondering if he's been improving in other ways or if there's a reason/something else going on affecting his development.

Thanks in advance!

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Anyone have an update on Zykov's development/game?

There's been some questions specifically regarding lack of production--but I'm wondering if he's been improving in other ways or if there's a reason/something else going on affecting his development.

Thanks in advance!

Main break on his production has been him playing much better competition. Last year he kinda came out of nowhere, so at first teams weren't preparing for him. BC eased him into the lineup.

This year has been a different story. For a good part of the season, he's been paired with Félix Girard. They typically play to opposing team's top line. I think they've done a fantastic job pinning the other teams down in their own end. They make offensive players work along the boards in their own end, so that's one of the things that struck me this year watching those 2 play. Also, although Girard might be the hardest working player in the league, kid isn't particularly gifted offensively. That has an effect on Zykov's point totals.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Very good game tonight, 2G and 3A. Did some great work in the corners, used his wrister. Solid game, Drakkar take a 3-2 series lead with this win.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Saw him twice live this year in the playoffs and he was totally invisible. And not giving so much effort either. Great to see him having the kinda night he had tonight. 1 more win and you will see him at the Memorial Cup.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Saw him twice live this year in the playoffs and he was totally invisible. And not giving so much effort either. Great to see him having the kinda night he had tonight. 1 more win and you will see him at the Memorial Cup.

probably had his butt kicked after the games in Val d'Or :laugh:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
If Shinkaruk hadn't dropped this is the guy I wanted at 24.

Top 6 potential for sure. I thought Edmonton trading out of that spot was incredibly dumb.

Sucks he went to LA. Another Toffoli-esque player in the 2nd.

I thought it was a great pick by the Kings.

Coming back to these threads is funny. It was perfectly justified at the time to value Zykov highly. MacT traded back and grabbed additional picks (one of those being Slepyshev). Slepyshev right now is in the NHL and somewhat impressing in the bottom 6

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->