RW/LW Klim Kostin (2017, 31st, STL, traded to EDM)

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
This kid always shows his talent off and I love him. He just has MAJOR consistency issues. I feel like if he got slimmer and worked on more of his skating, he could be very good.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
This kid always shows his talent off and I love him. He just has MAJOR consistency issues. I feel like if he got slimmer and worked on more of his skating, he could be very good.
He is 18yrs old playing in the AHL. From looking at the lineups, he was bounced around quite a bit mostly in the bottom 6. Looks like he's getting top 6 duties now. Factor in the injuries and long time off, I see no reason to really worry.

Moving forward, he'll have pro level offseason training with the Blues. We'll have a better gauge on him next year. He does need to work on skating though

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Yeah there was always going to be an adjustment period for a big, heavy guy like Kostin going from Europe to NA where there's a lot more stop/start changes in possession. Like Dbrownss said he was playing bottom six up until a few weeks ago but really has turned it on since moving into the top 6. If you saw him earlier in the year he was more tentative as he was adjusting but now his confidence really shows in how he's moving around the ice. Excited for him and nice to see him doing well at the AHL level.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Very excited for his potential. Rare blend of size, skill, shot and a high end offensive I.Q. Will take time to adapt to play a pro NHL style, less circling, less space to create, everythings quicker, more stops and starts, attention to detail in the D-zone and NZ as well as utilizing the boards and indirect passes more since on the big ice you don't need to do that near as much.

monsieurthibz

Oct 8, 2016
Montreal
I don't know many 18yo kid who'd have the confidence to open up a pro goaltender five-hole like this.. (I know, there isn't many 18yo in the AHL, and that's my point.)

And you gotta love his signature celly!

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Kostin destroyed fellow Blues prospect (not really a prospect because of his age, but he's in the Blues' system) Wade Megan. The kid can fight.

Reactions: stl76

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Kostin destroyed fellow Blues prospect (not really a prospect because of his age, but he's in the Blues' system) Wade Megan. The kid can fight.

Can't wait to see what Kostin can do next season when the Blues have control of his usage/deployment and can really focus on maximizing his development. If the Kid is doing stuff like this to AHL veterans at 18...the league better look at for years 19 and 20! :laugh:

Reactions: STLBLUES44

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Hope he has a great start this season, he's gonna become the forgotten prospects on the Blues with Thomas, Kyrou and Blais ahead of him, plus now Bokk here as well.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Was expecting more from him, any reason for his struggles?

Wouldn't necessarily say he's struggling. From what I've seen he looks strong. Remember he's only 19. I think we'll get a somewhat better barometer of where he's at against players his own age at the WJC. Wouldn't be surprised if he leads the tournament in scoring.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
He looks like a bull vs czech. Unfortunately doesn't seem to have the mitts to finish much.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He looks like a bull vs czech. Unfortunately doesn't seem to have the mitts to finish much.

He's more than a one trick pony like Nichuchkin is, he actually has creativitybut yeah finishing idk, we'll see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad