RW/LW Klim Kostin (2017, 31st, STL, traded to EDM)

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
3 points in his last 15 games in the ahl (2 points in 18 games last year playing mostly in the khl and vhl). is he busting already or what?

most teams will ask players to focus primarily on systems play and the ever-important 'details' of their game in the ahl so that when they enter the nhl they'll have a level of familiarity and comfort with playing a bottom-6 type of role so they can be useful beyond their skills. the skill threshold between amateurs and pros that are naturally gifted is arguably marginal at this point. kostin's shot and release aren't going to get much better than where they are etc. so being that they know he can score on ability, they're having him get comfortable playing how they play. 2 bruins picks started off slow in the ahl last year in heinen and debrusk and are playing top 9 mins in the nhl now and scoring at a 40ish pt pace. ahl scoring is not really a good indicator of nhl success on the whole

Reactions: monsieurthibz

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
most teams will ask players to focus primarily on systems play and the ever-important 'details' of their game in the ahl so that when they enter the nhl they'll have a level of familiarity and comfort with playing a bottom-6 type of role so they can be useful beyond their skills. the skill threshold between amateurs and pros that are naturally gifted is arguably marginal at this point. kostin's shot and release aren't going to get much better than where they are etc. so being that they know he can score on ability, they're having him get comfortable playing how they play. 2 bruins picks started off slow in the ahl last year in heinen and debrusk and are playing top 9 mins in the nhl now and scoring at a 40ish pt pace. ahl scoring is not really a good indicator of nhl success on the whole
but can he score? i have always been a bit leery of his offensive abilities. looks like you want to make some kind of fourth line plug who can do it all out of him by sacrificing his offensive game. i hope kostin's ambitions go a bit higher than that

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
but can he score? i have always been a bit leery of his offensive abilities. looks like you want to make some kind of fourth line plug who can do it all out of him by sacrificing his offensive game. i hope kostin's ambitions go a bit higher than that
he has a tremendous wrist shot

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
+1 His shot was a standout at the Blues camp. Kostin's ability to score shouldn't be a concern
i'm convinced it is the only facet of his game the blues are not concerned about. i'm sure he's received similar instructions to debrusk and heinen, which were we already know you can produce if you're put in a position to, we want you to learn about and start caring about the shitty part of nhl hockey, which is having to play against good players constantly every shift. kostin's going to be a very good player in the nhl.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
i'm convinced it is the only facet of his game the blues are not concerned about. i'm sure he's received similar instructions to debrusk and heinen, which were we already know you can produce if you're put in a position to, we want you to learn about and start caring about the ****ty part of nhl hockey, which is having to play against good players constantly every shift. kostin's going to be a very good player in the nhl.
Exactly, the Blues were clear that they wanted Kostin to be able to North American hockey.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I've watched all of his AHL games because of the shared affiliation. That team is a mess with respect to lineup and varying degrees of success. They tend to go on long losing streaks at times. Kostin has played with some plugs too. I've actually been impressed with his playmaking abilities and that he isn't trying to do all himself. I would say he's lost a bit of that power forward identity that I knew in his draft year. But he's doing fine adjusting to the NA game, he's learning a lot defensively too.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Klim Kostin was hands down Russia's best player against Switzerland today. Kostin played big minutes on the PP, PK, and on a top line w/ Svechnikov. He had a couple nice scoring opportunities and created some dangerous offensive chances for himself.

Some controversy over who scored Russia's first goal. It was a shot from the point on the PP that looked like it glanced off Kostin's leg. Regardless, Kostin undoubtedly scored their second banging home a rebound in front of the net. Great net front presence on both goals from Klim.

On Russia's 3rd goal, Kostin carried the puck up the left side into the offensive zone, made a smart curl move and completed a beautiful cross ice feed onto Kuyamov's stick. Kuyamov roofed it short side over the Swiss goalie.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He’s having a great tourney so far, definitely one of Russia’s best players, has been displaying a great mix of power and skill. Just scored a very nice goal against Belarus.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
He really seems to have a nose for the net and isn’t afraid to go to the dirty areas.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
This is a very good interview - good questions, interesting answers. Almost wound up with Tampa, it seems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad