RW/LW Klim Kostin (2017, 31st, STL, traded to EDM)

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I made them up, but thats just the likely skaters...and what dont you like about it?

Influenced by the "Thought on.." tread. I don't see the Blues where many posters see them. That roster isn't going to win anything singnificant. They are taking steps back. No no.1 center still and I don't see Oshie and Backes replaced even if they had to go. I don't think letting Shattenkirk go is helping. That's not a disaster. Team needs to move forward. It just isn't really in great shape right now. Players like Kostin if they develop well would help in the future obviously. Right now he is still not making the team in my eyes, but he should be next year.

Says who? Kostin clearly is dedicated to NA.....

His dedication is a mistake. Says me, myself and I backed by history of Russians developing in different environments.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Influenced by the "Thought on.." tread. I don't see the Blues where many posters see them. That roster isn't going to win anything singnificant. They are taking steps back. No no.1 center still and I don't see Oshie and Backes replaced even if they had to go. I don't think letting Shattenkirk go is helping. That's not a disaster. Team needs to move forward. It just isn't really in great shape right now. Players like Kostin if they develop well would help in the future obviously. Right now he is still not making the team in my eyes, but he should be next year.

His dedication is a mistake. Says me, myself and I backed by history of Russians developing in different environments.

So adding Sobotka late last year, swapping Lehtera for Schenn(Schenn is twice as productive and provides a lot of what Backes did) and getting Fabbri back(who missed a huge chunk of games) is taking steps back to you?

Btw we looked better without Shattenkirk. We also have 2 top prospects (Dunn and Walman) who are ready to compete for ice time and bring the same skill set as Shattenkirk but both are better and faster skaters. Really not seeing your "steps back". Perhaps your eyesight isn't that good?

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
So adding Sobotka late last year, swapping Lehtera for Schenn(Schenn is twice as productive and provides a lot of what Backes did) and getting Fabbri back(who missed a huge chunk of games) is taking steps back to you?

Btw we looked better without Shattenkirk. We also have 2 top prospects (Dunn and Walman) who are ready to compete for ice time and bring the same skill set as Shattenkirk but both are better and faster skaters. Really not seeing your "steps back". Perhaps your eyesight isn't that good?

It's clear when people don't pay attention to a team. It's fine. There are teams I don't follow much. It's just funny to see it come out with such intent.

Taking steps back....:laugh:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Oshie and Backes? Why are we discussing them? They are 1 and 2 seasons removed. They did little to lead the team when it was their team.

You say letting Shattenkirk go isnt helping? How did you come to that conclusion? The team did just fine without. Pietrangelo is almost duplicate his numbers with the increased PP time and he's actually defensively competent. We now have Parayko as our 2RD and he is a superior dman. As we saw with kirk in Washington...he's not a THAT good. The #1C is an issue but the team has found success regardless. They will be a playoff team, so I dont see how they take a step back unless you literally have no real insight into the team and you just did a quick google search.

As for the rest....and I still see is an empty claim.

Last edited:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Tolvanen is the same age and the same draft year as Kostin. And while the Finn is scoring in the KHL at above PPG level, Kostin couldn't make any impact even in the VHL and left Russia. Yeah, he is big, can skate, and what? Nichushkin is even bigger and can skate even better, but doesn't look like an NHL caliber player. I'm afraid Kostin is going to be Nichushkin #2.
All you are doing is literally taking skating ability and translating that to how well a player will do in the NHL.

You can't just be a good skater and that makes you a good player, there are so many other things that go into it.... This post just makes zero sense.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Kostin is going to be an impact player for the Blues in the future.

I wonder how quickly Shore figured put that he ****ed up

Last edited:

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Real good piece of business selecting this guy with a 1st received from trading Reaves.

Still can't believe Pitt made this deal. Blues make out like bandits.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Real good piece of business selecting this guy with a 1st received from trading Reaves.

Still can't believe Pitt made this deal. Blues make out like bandits.

Same, if Liljegren/Valimaki didn't drop to our pick, I wanted to take a gamble with Kostin-Tolvanen in that order.

Let alone dropping all the way to #31, it would have been a huge gamble no doubt...but had Kostin not missed most of his draft year, he could have been a ~top 10 talent in this comparatively, weak draft.

Not saying that'll be the case anyways...but he has the tools and size to succeed.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Kostin dropping as far as he did made no sense to me. He was hurt, he didn't forget how to play. If it's close between the two and the injuries scare you a bit, yeah, go with the guy who played. But a lot of players with less natural abilities got picked ahead of this guy for no reason.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Kostin dropping as far as he did made no sense to me. He was hurt, he didn't forget how to play. If it's close between the two and the injuries scare you a bit, yeah, go with the guy who played. But a lot of players with less natural abilities got picked ahead of this guy for no reason.

To be fair prior to draft he had played unusually low amount of games in the two leagues that matter the most (KHL, MHL). Only 30 games in the major junior league and 8 khl games, other than that there's the u16-u17 leagues but for a guy with that size there's always the question how much does his size help him to dominate. And of course less exposure being a Russian + the KHL factor that can always become a thing once you get big money offers.

I think all things considered the fact that he was even drafted in the 1st round is a testament to his talent level. Typically guy in his situation could even go much later.

But yeah if he pans out good eye by the Blues. When you've had success with Tarasenko and got a second 1st round pick for Ryan ****ing Reaves, it was probably a lot easier for the Blues to "gamble" on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad