RW/LW Klim Kostin (2017, 31st, STL, traded to EDM)

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
good lord that isn't usually a 18 year old physique... ripped wise it is yes, but Kostin is friggin THICK too. Most kids around that age are ripped but pretty thin

the kid is massive and already has powerful tree trunk legs that you normally start getting in your 20's when training hard

His legs were the first thing i noticed. From the videos ive watched his skating is top notch for his size, especially his edge work...just smooth.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Wow that's nice.

I had Kostin ranked mid first, and he was one of the guys I wanted the Flames to take.
Can't believe how there were a couple posters on the Flames board who swore he had no talent and would never play even a pro game!
He's going to have a killer WJC.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I had Kostin ranked mid first, and he was one of the guys I wanted the Flames to take.
Can't believe how there were a couple posters on the Flames board who swore he had no talent and would never play even a pro game!

That shot was very Tarasenko-esque.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
His level of play from game 1 to 2 was night and day. You can see he's barely comfortable in a competitive setting due to being sidelined

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
You folks think he can make the blues??

I think we may see him later in the year but not out of camp. Here's the Blues, there's just no room day 1.

Schwartz Stastny Tarasenko
Steen Fabbri Schenn
Barbashev* Sobokta Paajarvi
Sundqvist Brodziak Thorburn

Bennett, Jaskin, Berglund(ir), Sanford*

*waivers not required.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I think we may see him later in the year but not out of camp. Here's the Blues, there's just no room day 1.

Schwartz Stastny Tarasenko
Steen Fabbri Schenn
Barbashev* Sobokta Paajarvi
Sundqvist Brodziak Thorburn

Bennett, Jaskin, Berglund(ir), Sanford*

*waivers not required.

I don't like the Blues lines, but yes, it will be tough for a winger to step in there.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Tolvanen is the same age and the same draft year as Kostin. And while the Finn is scoring in the KHL at above PPG level, Kostin couldn't make any impact even in the VHL and left Russia. Yeah, he is big, can skate, and what? Nichushkin is even bigger and can skate even better, but doesn't look like an NHL caliber player. I'm afraid Kostin is going to be Nichushkin #2.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Tolvanen is the same age and the same draft year as Kostin. And while the Finn is scoring in the KHL at above PPG level, Kostin couldn't make any impact even in the VHL and left Russia. Yeah, he is big, can skate, and what? Nichushkin is even bigger and can skate even better, but doesn't look like an NHL caliber player. I'm afraid Kostin is going to be Nichushkin #2.

Oh deer god, is the Tolvanen sack ticking hype train going to spill into here?

Is it possible Kostin is a bust? Yes just like every single prospect. Kostin has a few things going for him, he has a great shot and actually uses his body well(something I didn't see from Nuke). He's also physically engages in the game, which is surpising coming major shoulder surgury. At the end of the day though....the Blues lost Ryan Reaves to take a chance....There's not much downside selecting Kostin.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007

Tolvanen was in the USHL last year...a year in which Kostin barely played cause of injury. Then you bring up how Tolvanen is doing this year while most 2017 draftees aren't even in camp yet....

Sure Kostin is a risk just like any draft eligible player is, this isn't exactly news. He'll get an intro to NA pro hockey this year and we'll see where he's at. After missing most of last season and now adjusting to NA pro this should be treated as a transition year for him.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

It's very early in the season to be comparing any of these prospects. Defenseman Matt Gilroy has the same ppg as Tolvanen in the KHL (same team).

I think Kostin is a very good prospect, and would have been happy if the Jets had taken him at #24 (though I don't mind Vesalainen, either). I would also have been happy with Tolvanen.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Count me among flames fans that are also jealous of this blues pick. I'm glad we got Valimaki, but I thought Kostin would have been a great sleeper pick. Jealous the blues snagged him!

Also looking back this pick cost you guys very little. Excellent move IMO. Really wish we could have pulled off something similar! I guess Hamonic is a good consolation.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
That's the whole effing problem. A year in the AHL is much worse than a year in Russia.

Why's that? The KHL and AHL are roughly on par talent wise (slight edge to KHL), but to me it seems the ice surface and playstyle of the AHL would better prepare you for a NHL career

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Why's that? The KHL and AHL are roughly on par talent wise (slight edge to KHL), but to me it seems the ice surface and playstyle of the AHL would better prepare you for a NHL career

Eh. There's also a matter of being away from home in a different culture. I'm sure that goes smoothly for some people, but for a kid who is trying to focus on making the next level in hockey, it's understandably a concern. I don't really have an opinion either way, it's more of a case-by-case thing, but I can easily understand the concern.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad