RW/LW Klim Kostin (2017, 31st, STL, traded to EDM)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=312823

Kostin has done well so far as a 16 year old at the WJC-18. I watched him play against the USA a few days ago, and although he didn't have any points, I thought he was one of the best players on the ice. He's so active in all three zones, he's big and he's skilled. This was against a USA team that was for the most part a year older than him. It seems like he had another good game today, although I didn't watch the game.

If he keeps progressing, I think he'll be a first round pick in 2017. He's also the captain of this Russian WJC-18 team. He's been mentioned before on the prospects board as a potential first round pick in 2017, and I think over a year out he's doing a good job of showcasing to scouts his talent.

Trav

Aug 2, 2005

Wonder what the chances of him reporting are. Apparently the Ice had trouble getting a few imports to commit to them. Dunno if Kostin is one of them but sure interesting. The team isn't that good.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Wonder what the chances of him reporting are. Apparently the Ice had trouble getting a few imports to commit to them. Dunno if Kostin is one of them but sure interesting. The team isn't that good.

What makes it interesting is that while 1-st pick usually means that everything is aligned on reporting, recently Dynamo Moscow team GM told that they've signed a deal with Kostin, so we will need to be following the news closely now to find out what is the real situation here.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Got that Tarasenko like shot, but man that video got me more excited about Alexeyev - another hell of prospect.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
reminds me of nichushkin. great physique but i'm not sure whether he's the smarts to be successful at a higher level of competition.

And I wouldn't yet write off Nichushkin yet. This year will be the year to say ok he made it or yeah he is bust. Last year was bounce back year from injury, now no excuses.

I do see similarities, Kostin uses similar power moves to the outside, big bodied guy. Has excellent chemistry with Alexeyev though, wonder how he will be in Dynamo without him this year.

Brian Fogarty

@hockey_prophets
Apr 29, 2011
hockeyprophets.com
I watched a good bit of him in the recent Hlinka Memorial, and he was almost exclusively the best player on the ice in his games. Big, strong skating, and his vision and smarts are certainly above average or better.

My summary note on him from the RUS v SVK game on the 10th:

"Big, fast, plays with a physical edge when necessary, and has high-end puck control and possession skills. Kostin's wrist shot is accurate and hard from all distances and created a lot of trouble for the opposing net minder."

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Does anyone else think he has some Puljujarvi to his game? They aren't the same player, but I see some similar skills, although I think Puljujarvi was the better prospect for his draft year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad