RW/LW Dmitry Sokolov - Dinamo Minsk, KHL (2016, 196th, MIN; released)

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Where does he end up next season?

Thought he would have left but unfortunately looks like he's staying, Sudbury should be better so he might not be traded. Still, nothing to prove at this level wish he would have moved on.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Might be early but he seems like a draft STEAL. I think he needs 1 more season of CHL or maybe a year in KHL before he can make the jump to AHL.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Might be early but he seems like a draft STEAL. I think he needs 1 more season of CHL or maybe a year in KHL before he can make the jump to AHL.

This makes no sence, KHL is undoubtedly better than the AHL.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
wait, is this guy really 5'11 and 220lbs :o ?

Also, it seems like minnesota has been killing it lately in the draft

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
wait, is this guy really 5'11 and 220lbs :o ?

Also, it seems like minnesota has been killing it lately in the draft

No he was 220 in his -1 year after the draft he lost like 15 lbs. Last I saw he was around 205-210, not sure if he went back up. You can certainly can still be in good shape at that size, it's just in his case before, it was mostly fat.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
It's probably best for him if he comes back to Sudbury for one more year.

Yeah, a bit selfish as a Wolves fan but the kid really needs to develop somewhat a defensive game before he can make the next step. His skating can still improve too (it came a long way from two seasons ago to last year).

Sudbury should be better next year too, and with the coaching change should be on the PK much less, which means more minutes for Sokolov.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
hey wolves fan, wild fan here after sokolov scored 48G last year what are your production expectations for him this year? thx. im hoping he tears up the ohl & leads all goal scorers by a country mile!

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
hey wolves fan, wild fan here after sokolov scored 48G last year what are your production expectations for him this year? thx. im hoping he tears up the ohl & leads all goal scorers by a country mile!

Considering there seems to be a bit of a consensus on David Levin taking a big step forward next year, and since he's a playmaker, Sokolov's production should continue to improve. If Levin actually starts putting the puck in the net more frequently as well, that'll raise Sokolov's assist total too.

I'm thinking 55g, 40a. From an NHL prospect perspective though and less as a Wolves player, you should be more concerned with his +/- number, which needs to get better especially considering 22 of the team's 68 games will be vs North Bay (who should rank 20 out of 20 this year), Barrie, and Niagara (these two should fight for the 8 seed in the east). If he can drop a couple more pounds and his stride improves visibly once again, I think you've got an NHLer on your hands.

We all know he can shoot. The second half of last season saw a better passing game from him, and when he wants to be physical he can be physical.

Last thing to note, is that if Sudbury isn't leading the central by the deadline, or at least not neck and neck with Mississauga, don't be surprised to see him get moved to a contender out west such as London, Owen Sound, or Sault Ste Marie. Sudbury historically retains these players in hopes of winning a round or two, but I think the new management is a bit more modern and will take the king's ransom Sokolov would fetch.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
while it would be terrific if sokolov would be a perfectly well rounded player i do believe if hes a stud goal scorer he can be taught to play 2-way. example see zucker. someday watching sokolov & kaprizov together on my wild could be amazing. dare 2 dream.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Hate to say it but I think he's wasting a year by playing in the OHL again, nothing to gain there. I don't know either why a Russian would want to go back to a city like Sudbury either.

Reactions: Acallabeth

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sokolov is said to continue to have difficulty playing even an elementary level defensive game. His conditioning also continues to be an issue. This is the year where he needs to address the defiencies in his game.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Was this guy not at the top of some rankings at the beginning of the 2015-16 season?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Caser, do you have a sense whether Sokolov knows Kaprizov and/or Svetlakov from times they might have spent on various Russian teams over the years? In other words, if he gave one of them a call, would they answer and be somewhat friendly?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Caser, do you have a sense whether Sokolov knows Kaprizov and/or Svetlakov from times they might have spent on various Russian teams over the years? In other words, if he gave one of them a call, would they answer and be somewhat friendly?

Sokolov and Kaprizov played together on the same line for quite some time at the U18 level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad