RW Kole Lind - Kelowna Rockets, WHL (2017, 33rd, VAN, selected by SEA)

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
So what's the story on this guy? Just doing stat watching seems like his PPG is on par with other higher rated players, seems like the only thing that might be considered a negative compared to those guys would be he is a late born 98

Curious as well, not as highly regarded it seems but apparently outplayed Glass in the playoffs and has solid attributes.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Lind is an interesting player who I think has definite NHL potential. As of right now he is playing on a line with the WHL's leading scorer in Tyson Baillie and a very talented player in Dillon Dube. He certainly does not carry the play with those two but also does not look out of place..

My report would generally be that he:

- Has a great one timer and a very good shot in general but I really love his release on the one timer.
- In general is a fantastic goal scorer - I believe he paced the SMHL for goals last season
- Very intelligent player..Kelowna rarely plays rookies in their top 6 unless they deserve it. Lind wasn't even a high bantam pick so his place with Baillie and Dube is a testament to his hard work since that draft
- He is a strong skater who shows great command of his edgework and lateral motion.
- Has a good frame - could see him getting up to 6'3 and 210+

Things he needs to work on:

- D-zone play is a work in progress
- Would like to see him more involved physically but I suspect this will come as he grows and gets more comfortable playing in the W
- Can get rattled/caught up in some shenanigans - which again is both a product of his age and lack of familiarity with the league.

No doubt in my mind he is a first round consideration for next year as it stands today

Has this changed much? What are his current strengths & weaknesses?

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Aside from what looks like a bit of a misjudgement re: size, yes.

Strengths:

- Balanced offensively. Can score with a variety of shots, has a nice release when in stride and an excellent one-timer. Passing game is effective, consistent, and helped by his heads-up style. May actually project as more of a playmaker at the next level..

- Has strong acceleration, above average top end speed...can separate from defenders . Slightly upright skater

- Hockey IQ ...particularly great around the net, pesky, tenacious, very patient in tight

Weaknesses:

- D-zone play needs further improvement

- Still skinny, stylistically he can get away with playing at ~185, but he's probably a year or two away from that

- Not necessarily dynamic in any one area. I think he runs the chance of finding himself in no-man's land in the pros like a lot of other scoring players who've come through Kelowna

- Pretty short fuse on this kid, he's no Kyle Beach but I've seen some pretty bad penalties. That's nothing an NHL coach won't be able to solve though.

Could be a good 2nd line winger, could be a Blake Comeau type

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Last word on hockey had his comparison to that of Pacioretty. good/bad? Style wise. Style wise, another one i saw was Johansen. Which these two are very different. Anyone who has seen him can comment?

L13

Oct 1, 2015
Last word on hockey had his comparison to that of Pacioretty. good/bad? Style wise. Style wise, another one i saw was Johansen. Which these two are very different. Anyone who has seen him can comment?

The explanation is that stylistic comparisons are almost always arbitrary and useless.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
The explanation is that stylistic comparisons are almost always arbitrary and useless.

thanks. if i really wanted an albatross and utterly useless response i would have just asked Siri or Alexa.

what goes on in someones head where this is a logical response? If you just post asinine responses that bring nothing to the table, why waste your time and my time?

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Cant believe this guy only has 2 pages of chatter. Seems to be flying under the radar.

Is kelowna a heavy contender next year to represent the WHL at the mem cup ??

Oilyveins97*

Jun 11, 2017
Manitoba
Solid pick Van city!

If Yamamoto was gone at #22, I wouldn't have been heartbroken picking Kole in that slot.

I've always liked his game

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
Cool to see Kole Lind with a solid performance tonight in the YoungStars game vs the Jets.

The Canucks coaching staff definitely took notice of Lind’s three point (one goal and two assists) night. Coach Cull said to a group of reporters after the game “We thought he had a really good night. Had to show some composure for a younger kid; not just plays where he had the puck, but his positional play was really good and he’s a really smart playerâ€.

“I thought it was a really good performance all the way through†Cull added. The Canucks had contributions throughout their entire lineup and managed to play sound defensively in their first night with him behind the bench. Hard to argue with his assessment.

canucksarmy.com/2017/09/08/canucks-army-post-game-canucks-kick-off-youngstars-with-4-2-win-over-the-jets/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
he is going to have a massive upcoming season in Kelowna.... Him, Flames prospect Dube and Bolts 1st rounder dman Foote will be a deadly trio on the ice

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Lind was outstanding last night

Reminded me a lot of Tkachuk honestly

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Didn't realize he had such a chippy aspect to his game. He's not huge, not flashy with the puck but just always on the right spot and surprised me with his playmaking ability.

Right now his stature and style kind of reminds me of a Brendan Morrison... but Lind definitely has more of an edge to his game away from the puck and plenty of room to grow into that frame.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Didn't realize he had such a chippy aspect to his game. He's not huge, not flashy with the puck but just always on the right spot and surprised me with his playmaking ability.

Right now his stature and style kind of reminds me of a Brendan Morrison... but Lind definitely has more of an edge to his game away from the puck and plenty of room to grow into that frame.

ya he has a very chippy part to his game... honestly wouldn't doubt if he reaches over 100 points and 100pims this season in Kelowna

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad