RW Kasperi Kapanen (2014, 22nd, PIT; traded to TOR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
KK is going to play a huge role on our team in the future imo...

Once Nylander inevitably gets shifted to 2nd line C (Matthews on top Line), Kap will be his wingman. They have insane chemistry on and off the ice, and Nylander feeding Kapanen on the PP will be a thing of beauty

Definitely wouldn't move him barring an extreme overpayment (which I doubt will happen)

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Id throw sosh on the other wing, has the skill level to play with these guys but also adds some sandpaper to the line.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Wow I feel like I've been underrating Kapanen

You have. He's 20 years old, Nylander is a superstar for what he did last year but Kapanen is a blue chip prospect as well.

Will be a great 2nd line player. If he can be a Hagelin type skating force, he'll score a lot of goals because of his shot.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Id throw sosh on the other wing, has the skill level to play with these guys but also adds some sandpaper to the line.

Yep, something like this is a good looking future in 1-2 years

JVR-Matthews-Marner
Soshnikov-Nylander-Kapanen
Brown-Kadri-Komarov
Martin-Gauthier-Hyman

Last edited:

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Yep, something like this is a good looking future in 1-2 years

JVR-Matthews-Marner
Soshnikov-Nylander-Kapanen
Brown-Kadri-Komarov
Martin-Gauthier-Hyman

Heck, this could happen towards the end of the season...

What about guys like Griffith, Leivo, Leipsic, Lindberg, Johnsson, Timashov, Rychel, Bracco... ?

If not already, a few of these guys will be knocking on the NHL doors in the next year or two or three.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

What about guys like Griffith, Leivo, Leipsic, Lindberg, Johnsson, Timashov, Rychel, Bracco... ?

If not already, a few of these guys will be knocking on the NHL doors in the next year or two or three.

They are for when we have to make tough decisions like movign Sosh/Hyman/JVR/Bozak/ when they look for bigger deals to keep the core together, and to give us a better 4th line than is pictured there.

Once they move up in value they too will be moved for prospects to fill their spot. It's the Chicago plan and it works as long as you can draft well.

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
Pretty good for a B prospect that every team has one of.

Lol, I'm glad someone remembered this garbage :laugh:

I think most posters on this site don't actually watch any prospects with regularity and are here to comment on stat lines.

Kapanen has always looked good with a couple of elite tools (skating & shot). His dominance now shouldn't be that surprising. I think if he stays in the AHL until the trade deadline (at least) and continues to perform like this then he'll be ready to seamlessly step into a Top 6 role and actually perform like a Top 6 F.

He would easily be a blue chip/A-level prospect for most teams. The Leafs just had a crazy situation of having 3 future superstars as prospects so the rest of their youth slightly pales in comparison.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Yeah i think people think hes really old or something ...... and that he did "bad" last year in the AHL, he was a young player in the 2014 draft and was playing pro hockey and not minor hockey he was good last year and hes on fire this year.... what a surprise hes doing so good, its not like his speed,skill and shot were on par with nylander or anything.... he was missing consistency and looks like he has found it.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Yeah i think people think hes really old or something ...... and that he did "bad" last year in the AHL, he was a young player in the 2014 draft and was playing pro hockey and not minor hockey he was good last year and hes on fire this year.... what a surprise hes doing so good, its not like his speed,skill and shot were on par with nylander or anything.... he was missing consistency and looks like he has found it.

Yeah, if we let him loose in the CHL, he would have 1.75PPG easily last year.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014

I'd say next year earliest due to Bozak probably being the player we leave unprotected in the draft to get claimed so others don't, and Gauthier won't be brought up until next year hopefully if he has a good camp.

Griffith I don't really know why we claimed and would be fine with him being given away, Leivo & Rychel could probably be rotated into 4th line positions, but Leipsic is the biggest question mark on what to do with him. The rest could probably handle being in the AHL again next year.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
Could be a guy who gets moved for D.

He's fantastic though. But he has good value and the Leafs have a surplus of good forwards.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Saw him live tonight and he was really impressive. So shifty and skilled. Leipsic is just as impressive too imo.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
KK is going to play a huge role on our team in the future imo...

Once Nylander inevitably gets shifted to 2nd line C (Matthews on top Line), Kap will be his wingman. They have insane chemistry on and off the ice, and Nylander feeding Kapanen on the PP will be a thing of beauty

Definitely wouldn't move him barring an extreme overpayment (which I doubt will happen)

Hardworker/vet-AM-MM
Hardworker/vet-WN-KK

Is a drool worthy future

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
He should be on the team.

What's the rush? Not like we're contending this year

I think if he comes to the NHL and has an average rookie season for a future top 6 winger at 30-40pt pace, it doesn't do for his confidence or his trade value what a ppg or ppg+ year in the AHL as a cornerstone of a contending team would

I'd be worried that bringing him up for a cup of coffee and having the same thing that happened in his big league stint last year would hurt his confidence after a great-but-short AHL start. If he has to the TDL in the AHL and lights it up, I think that proves more to himself and to other team's scouting departments that he could be a very good NHL'er

Side note: that first goal tonight was absurd, and his offseason work on his shot obviously paid off, wow.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Honestly I am shocked at how many rookies made the team already, can't have an entire roster of rookies can we.

Ya I think it's just nice to see him lighting up the AHL. Lots of false perspective out there that he hasn't been good in the AHL until now but I was defending him in a trade forum thread and realized just how blocked he was on that team last year - he was the 11th highest scoring forward on a team that was 12 points better than the next best AHL team, 3 of the 10 ahead of him were over 23 years old (Panik, Frattin, Acrobello) and the rest all have a real shot to play with the leafs for a long time except Sam Carrick. The only other teenager that outscored him was Nylander who was in historic territory for his age and Kapanen's production was totally fine for his age in the AHL

Anyway, I'm perfectly content to let him relish the opportunity he's getting in the AHL

Not sure what you mean by this. I remember Kapanen having a pretty good shot last year.

Apparently his shot was a big part of his offseason training regiment, wanted to improve it. Agree he looked pretty good last year but he's scored a few times this year where his release was really impressive. The slapshot in the video above included, don't think he would have been able to do that last year

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
You have. He's 20 years old, Nylander is a superstar for what he did last year but Kapanen is a blue chip prospect as well.

Will be a great 2nd line player. If he can be a Hagelin type skating force, he'll score a lot of goals because of his shot.

My problem with Kapanen last year was that he had no brain. Does he still look clueless sometimes? I'm glad he worked on his consistency though.

Haven't watched any Marlies this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad