RW John McFarland (2010, 33rd overall, Florida)

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I really have little concern for his off-ice attitude at this age. He's a young kid with a lot of hype and attention, he's likely immature and needs time to grow up and learn to tone down the ego if he has one. A lot of highly touted young hockey players in recent years have seen the same rumours about their off-ice ego, and it's to nobody's benefit. Phil Kessel heard the same rumours, and it sure doesn't sound like that's still the case. Moreover, I think junior hockey players in general would/do come off as full of themselves off the ice. They certainly still did at university playing CIS hockey. But that doesn't mean they play like that, or that they are always like that, or even that you can judge a book by its cover.

What I will say is that from watching McFarland in the OHL, I was concerned about selfish play on the ice. His skill level is undeniable, but for Sudbury he gave up on a lot plays where he didn't have the puck, avoided contact a few times it seemed out of laziness, and was uninterested in his own zone. Admittedly, I was fairly unimpressed with that side of his game, but also remembered he's only 16. I'm just interested to see how next year goes for him.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
The problem lies inherently within people like yourself. Here you are, deducing conclusions based on illogical assumptions, all the while igniting malignant reputational assasinations on some young kid that can hardly be expected to fan the flames, and in the end gets ensconced as a person with bad character.

We've seen it before. These kids are usually not old enough to be tried as adults in Canada for actual crimes, yet they pay an unfair and misproportionate price for small judgement misgivings that are really just part-and-parcel of growing up. They deserve a first chance. Then a discrete second chance.

Angelo Esposito is the perfect example of the exponentiated effect of unfairness created by people like you. Unbelievably enough, you think you know Esposito. But short of a denied allegation that he rigged the QMJHL Draft with Patrick Roy to become a Rempart, the kid has been nothing short of respectful in interviews and hardworking on the ice.

In that case, somebody else started the wildfire and you took it to be the gospel truth. In this case, you start the wildfire for other people who cannot think for themselves to take as the gospel truth.

You write that you wish McFarland the best and that you are cheering for the guy. What a bunch of hypocritical windowdressing. If you truly wished him the best, you would have never posted.

Spot on. When we're talking about somebody like Akim Aliu who has some quite severe attitude problems, it's reasonable to bring up in the course of conversation or to initiate a discussion about. When we're talking about a kid who has a friend who might have been a bit obnoxious in a coffee shop and somebody tries to paint that as damning evidence of an attitude problem...that's pathetic. I also agree that the "wish him the best" crap is comical and empty windowdressing, especially when the same poster said this:

It really sucks when top notch talents at this age flush a potential NHL career down the loo because they're jerks.

So he's a jerk and he's potentially flushing his career down the drain because of what exactly? This reeks of a poster with an agenda.

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
www.thescoutingreport.org
He's actually right you guys. There are several well documented public incidents with McFarland snapping on teammates, parents. I think he's gotten a bit better this year because he's on the bottom again as a 16 year old, but it's definitely going to get worse in the next couple of seasons.

Either way, there are some attitude issues there, and I certainly would not call him a great teammate.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
He's actually right you guys. There are several well documented public incidents with McFarland snapping on teammates, parents. I think he's gotten a bit better this year because he's on the bottom again as a 16 year old, but it's definitely going to get worse in the next couple of seasons.

Either way, there are some attitude issues there, and I certainly would not call him a great teammate.

Thank you.

I didn't come to this conclusion because I saw the kid at a Timmies.

It's a response to those rumours that he's not the best teammate.

No agenda here btw, the kid is from my hometown... I support him. I was inquiring into those rumours.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
NFL prospects - Extensive background checks of players and assessments of attitude. Often accused of some pretty shady activity (accepting money from boosters, point shaving, etc.) Even in some cases, involved in blatant criminal activity (physical and sexual assault, DUI, theft).

NHL prospects - This.

:laugh: :shakehead

Give me a friggin break. Surprise, many well-respected NHLers were (and often still are) huge *******. Not to mention the people they hang around with.

Unless we're talking about Billy Tibbetts or Steve Downie, seriously, give your head a shake.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
It's a response to those rumours that he's not the best teammate.

Well, guess he'll have to learn to become a better teammate in the NHL. His paycheque will pretty much depend on it, no?

For every Sean Avery or Joe Murphy-type cancer, there are about 50 NHL guys who probably thought they were god's gift to hockey back in junior, and went on to be fine NHL teammates.

pioneer2016

Aug 9, 2009
John MacFarland

Where do people think John will go in next years NHL Draft?

After seeing him in the last 2 international tournments i think he may go top3 and even has some leaderships qualites to him

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
Guaranteed top 10 pick depending on what kind of numbers he puts up this year. On most lists I see him in the top 5 but top 3 is possible if he puts up impressive numbers.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
There was some discussion about McFarland in this thread, but that was before the Ivan Hlinka tournament.

He was Team Canada's captain there and played well -- among others.

That tournament isn't very well publicized, so I doubt it did much to persuade the skeptics.

Some of the skeptics were opposed to him being ranked No. 2, and Brett Connolly being ranked No. 11. Judging from early -- but incomplete -- reports, McFarland outplayed Connolly.

That does not mean he's a better player, because it's just one tournament. Just something to bear in mind. There is a lot of hockey to be played this year and this is when most of the evaluating will take place. What a player did at 16 won't have much bearing on his draft ranking next summer.

FYI, his last name is McFarland -- not MacFarland.

Last edited:

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
There was some discussion about McFarland in this thread, but that was before the Ivan Hlinka tournament.

He was Team Canada's captain there and played well -- among others.

That tournament isn't very well publicized, so I doubt it did much to persuade the skeptics.

Some of the skeptics were opposed to him being ranked No. 2, and Brendan Connolly being ranked No. 11. Judging from early -- but incomplete -- reports, McFarland outplayed Connolly.

That does not mean he's a better player, because it's just one tournament. Just something to bear in mind. There is a lot of hockey to be played this year and this is when most of the evaluating will take place. What a player did at 16 won't have much bearing on his draft ranking next summer.

FYI, his last name is McFarland -- not MacFarland.

FYI, Connolly's first name is Brett -- not Brendan ;).

Thanks for the update though.

I actually can't wait for htis draft. It sounds soo deep in top end tallent. People Claim that Hall, Fowler, Kabanov, Pulkinnen, McFarland, Gormley, Gudbranson, Connolly, and a bunch of other prospects will be top 5 picks....but thats impossible ;) :neener:

WesternEliteHockeyPr

Mar 5, 2003
Visit site
favortism

My feeling is that coach Boogie man favored the OHL guys heavily. That could be because he is familier with them and knows what they can do in certain situations. Guys like Connolly, Howden, Weal will all be top scorers in the WHL this season but were placed on the 3rd and 4th lines in the tourny. Oh well, we'll see how they do in their respective leagues. Should be fun.

Juice*

leadership qualities ahahahah you are kidding right? Ask Bobby Orr what he thinks of the kid. Ask his Wolves teammates...I know he got better by the end of the year but I have heard nothing bad negatives about his personality. Great player for sure but not a leader yet

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
leadership qualities ahahahah you are kidding right? Ask Bobby Orr what he thinks of the kid. Ask his Wolves teammates...I know he got better by the end of the year but I have heard nothing bad negatives about his personality. Great player for sure but not a leader yet

Care to Ellaborate on the Negative personality that he brings to the lockerroom?

And what does Bobby Orr know? Is he his agent?

eric71*

I've heard McFarland was incredibly cocky and awfully stuck up. Those were simply rumours from over a year ago however, and he could have easily matured. The kid odviously has some crazy skill. I see him going top 10 for sure. I think 4-7 would be reasonable

Juice*

Care to Ellaborate on the Negative personality that he brings to the lockerroom?

And what does Bobby Orr know? Is he his agent?

He is just very selfish and self centered. It is a bi-product of the minor midget GTHL environment. These kids are treated like rock stars as early as 13.

He was told to shave his head in sudbury and he refused. said "Touch me and I go home and you can explain to coach why his 1st rounder is at home" i know hazing is an issue but shaving a rookies head is minor.

Bobby Orr went to see McFarland play and to represent him. 5 minutes in he had yelled at the ref, shook his head at teammates and yipped at his coach. Orr got up and walked out of the arena 5 minutes in and never considered representing him again.

QuarterChicken

Jun 22, 2009
What is this a nazi camp? If I was told I had to shave my head I would go home too. Not because shaving my head is that big of a deal, but because my hockey career has nothing to do with hair.

eric71*

What is this a nazi camp? If I was told I had to shave my head I would go home too. Not because shaving my head is that big of a deal, but because my hockey career has nothing to do with hair.

Its seen as a bonding thing. I think its quite stupid too. I guess it shows how much McFarland values the respect of his teammates.

Juice*

with 100% certainty I can tell you have never been on a highly competitive sports team.

Its not fun but its part of the game. It is not dangerous and is consented to 99.99999% of the time.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
He is just very selfish and self centered. It is a bi-product of the minor midget GTHL environment. These kids are treated like rock stars as early as 13.

He was told to shave his head in sudbury and he refused. said "Touch me and I go home and you can explain to coach why his 1st rounder is at home" i know hazing is an issue but shaving a rookies head is minor.

Bobby Orr went to see McFarland play and to represent him. 5 minutes in he had yelled at the ref, shook his head at teammates and yipped at his coach. Orr got up and walked out of the arena 5 minutes in and never considered representing him again.

I remember when John's brother Paul McFarland played for the Wexford Raiders, back when we were in grade 7... he carried himself with much more confidence than anyone else in our grade.

It was borderline cocky... but Paul was a nice guy.

QuarterChicken

Jun 22, 2009
with 100% certainty I can tell you have never been on a highly competitive sports team.

Its not fun but its part of the game. It is not dangerous and is consented to 99.99999% of the time.

I guess your 100% certainty is flawed.

I know it's consented to 99.99999% of the time and not really a big deal, and I personally wouldn't have a problem with it... However, if someone once in a blue moon decides they aren't comfortable with it, that should be the end of it. Everyone else should accept their personal choice and that should in no way affect his standing with the team or anything of the sorts.

Juice*

I guess your 100% certainty is flawed.

I know it's consented to 99.99999% of the time and not really a big deal, and I personally wouldn't have a problem with it... However, if someone once in a blue moon decides they aren't comfortable with it, that should be the end of it. Everyone else should accept their personal choice and that should in no way affect his standing with the team or anything of the sorts.

well his teammates thought it was lame....I agree with them.
You should work for the human rights commission.

The Dayvan Cowboy

Registered Genius
Feb 22, 2009
"Touch me and I go home and you can explain to coach why his 1st rounder is at home"

I like his style. I haven't been a part of sports teams, and I understand the comradery that goes into team building, but really. If bleaching your hair or shaving your head (or hazing in general) is what it takes to be considered a good teammate, I call ********.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->